Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

covshark

What's an ITX?
Feb 3, 2017
Maybe to reduce your costs, offer an option of allowing people to print their own corners? I have a 3d printer and would def print my own corners in one my many various filament colors.

Reactions: K888D

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
I still think you are headed in the right direction with this idea of yours... not only for reducing costs but to also really nail down a unique signature style/look to your cases as well.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
With the ability to 3D print a prototype it seems a shame there is no way to cheaply utilize that prototype to make a mold.

tomnyamkun

Chassis Packer
Jan 12, 2017
The thread starter is asleep, time to post some picture :p

Ok, 2 days ago the shipping from Ponoko arrived, but I only managed to pick it up today.

It's a whole panel of acrylic , lol

After I pop it out of the panel.
Notice the slight colour difference.

Yup, it work !

From other angle

Forgive my inadequacy in performing the sacred art of cable management.
But it still fit! with all the tubing inside

No more Franken-like tubing out of the body anymore :)

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Wait a second! After looking at your pics again It has finally dawned on me that I don't have to stuff a small/inferior 40 mm radiator together with fans into a limited <50 mm space I have either to the left of my sound card (PCIe slot) or above my cpu (m/b) in my Silverstone ML06B-E case! I can simply affix a much larger and more effective dual 80-90 mm radiator on the left side panel (outside of my case) like yours... which would then allow me to use much better/quieter Noctua 80 x 25 mm fans instead of noisier/weaker 80 x 10-15 mm ones!!!

So the fan is pulling hot air from inside the case and pushing it through the radiator cooling it?

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Maybe to reduce your costs, offer an option of allowing people to print their own corners? I have a 3d printer and would def print my own corners in one my many various filament colors.

I've tried FDM and Objet printing, unfortunately the screws don't get a very strong bite into those materials.

With the ability to 3D print a prototype it seems a shame there is no way to cheaply utilize that prototype to make a mold.

You can buy desktop mini injection moulding style machines, you 3D print the moulds in a high temp resin. I think the corner piece geometry would need to be simplified quite a bit to work with this. It's something to think about though.

It's a whole panel of acrylic , lol

Yeah unfortunately that side panel was too big to fit on the next sized smaller sheet.

After I pop it out of the panel.
Notice the slight colour difference

Sorry about that, didn't realise it would be sof much lighter.

Yup, it work !

Glad to see it fits ok. Do you have any more photos of the case from from the outside showing the radiator?

This matte blue panel is perfection. I love the redesign, please keep it! Not a fan of the vent pattern on the orange version.

Thanks! I'm really happy with how both the Blue, Orange and Matte black panels have turned out. I want to show you guys the cases fully built up, but I've just not had the time yet to setup some proper photography. I've been concentrating on testing the various panels and writing an article about fan performance. Hopefully soon I can put something together to show you.

The vent pattern on the Orange panel is for people who dont want to attach a grill or filter over the fan. The pattern is a theory I wanted to test for maximising airflow and reducing fan vent noise, it exceeded my expectations, I appreciate though that it's not everyone's cup of tea for aesthetics.

There is also a perforated panel with hex shaped holes, this looks amazing by the way, especially when combined with the new minimalistic power panel design. But compared to the other panels designs it performs poorly as an intake vent, especially in the noise department.

Reactions: ricochet and Phuncz

tomnyamkun

Chassis Packer
Jan 12, 2017
@tomnyamkun can we get more pictures from the front, where the radiator is mounted?

Yup!

The front/side/top (depending on your orientation:p)

Wait a second! After looking at your pics again It has finally dawned on me that I don't have to stuff a small/inferior 40 mm radiator together with fans into a limited <50 mm space I have either to the left of my sound card (PCIe slot) or above my cpu (m/b) in my Silverstone ML06B-E case! I can simply affix a much larger and more effective dual 80-90 mm radiator on the left side panel (outside of my case) like yours... which would then allow me to use much better/quieter Noctua 80 x 25 mm fans instead of noisier/weaker 80 x 10-15 mm ones!!!

So the fan is pulling hot air from inside the case and pushing it through the radiator cooling it?

Yup the fan is set to exhaust.

In my thought, the air inside the case isn't supposed to be hot because the pump and the radiator move the heat from the hottest component (The CPU) out of the case.
And, because the radiator is put outside and in contact with the ambient air directly, the slim fan should not work that hard to shed all those heat.
(This is only my thought and isn't backed up by any scientific data thou XD)

The only problem with AIO set up is the M.2 temp, my M.2 sata SSD idling at 50~ C

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Yup!

The front/side/top (depending on your orientation:p)

Yup the fan is set to exhaust.

In my thought, the air inside the case isn't supposed to be hot because the pump and the radiator move the heat from the hottest component (The CPU) out of the case.
And, because the radiator is put outside and in contact with the ambient air directly, the slim fan should not work that hard to shed all those heat.
(This is only my thought and isn't backed up by any scientific data thou XD)

The only problem with AIO set up is the M.2 temp, my M.2 sata SSD idling at 50~ C
Thanks for the extra pics!

Technically the case should be cooler inside, as you say the hotter air of the CPU is being exhausted directly outside the case so you see zero heat recirculation from the CPU.

However, the downside to setting the side fan as an exhaust is that it pulls some of the warm exhaust air from the GPU into the case and across the motherboard. This is likely why your M.2 Drive is running warmer.

On the upside the negative pressure will be aiding the GPU fan pull air into its heatsink through your GPU dust filter, so you will probably find your GPU is now running a bit cooler during gaming aswell.

Reactions: ricochet and Phuncz

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
What I am trying to do is reduce the amount of 3D printing material as this is by far the most expensive part of the case to produce.
You could use multipart silicone moulds to cast resin copies of the 3D printed parts. The moulds only last for a few hundred casts, but they are cheap to make and can reproduce fine detail and minor undercuts (due to the mould flexibility). The downside is the process is manual (both the casting, and the finish of the cast by removing the sprue and vents) and the number you can batch at once is dependant on the number of moulds you make. You'd also ideally need a vacuum chamber to degas the parts to prevent voids.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
The vent pattern on the Orange panel is for people who dont want to attach a grill or filter over the fan. The pattern is a theory I wanted to test for maximising airflow and reducing fan vent noise, it exceeded my expectations, I appreciate though that it's not everyone's cup of tea for aesthetics.

There is also a perforated panel with hex shaped holes, this looks amazing by the way, especially when combined with the new minimalistic power panel design. But compared to the other panels designs it performs poorly as an intake vent, especially in the noise department.
Even though I particularly like the orange panel's vent pattern I definitely would choose performance and silence over aesthetics any day!

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Yeah, our motherboards' M.2 position underneath is known for these higher temps... but anything under 60 C idling and under 70 C at 100% usage should be fine... what say you?

Thanks for the extra pics!
Technically the case should be cooler inside, as you say the hotter air of the CPU is being exhausted directly outside the case so you see zero heat recirculation from the CPU.

However, the downside to setting the side fan as an exhaust is that it pulls some of the warm exhaust air from the GPU into the case and across the motherboard. This is likely why your M.2 Drive is running warmer.

On the upside the negative pressure will be aiding the GPU fan pull air into its heatsink through your GPU dust filter, so you will probably find your GPU is now running a bit cooler during gaming aswell.
Thank you for this explanations; makes perfect sense. More important that the GPU runs cooler than the M.2 which can handle temps well above 70 C for long periods of time.

bait

Cable Smoosher
Jan 16, 2017
Ok I probably need to do a survey or something, or perhaps go back to the drawing board for the power panel design, come up with some alternatives.

What I am trying to do is reduce the amount of 3D printing material as this is by far the most expensive part of the case to produce.

The First Edition were sold at pretty much cost price, so unfortunately the next round of cases will have to be sold at a higher price. Reducing the amount of 3D printed material is a way to try and minimise that cost increase.

But if the general concensus is that it has a negative impact on the overall aesthetic, then I need to re-think things!

I understand what you are trying to do, and I think it is a clever way to approach it; however, I would happily pay more for the original design with the integrated corner piece for the power/io. I hope it is something you will still offer.