Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Received a package today, here is a teaser of whats to come:

The vent pattern is a theory I am going to test, there are a few other styles and colours as well.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I like the power button slot built into the panel.

I'm disagreeing with you there. To me, it looks like a cheap solution. It's certainly clever, but not what I'd call nice looking. But hey, it's an experiment, and we can't all like the same things. I already have an LZ7 that I like, so I'm not in the market for another one anytime soon any way :D

Not really a fan of this particular cent pattern, but I'm curious to see what other ideas you have.

Reactions: K888D

Knolly

Chassis Packer
Jan 12, 2017
Can't wait to pick up an LZ7 during the next round, I'm loving all of the updates you're working into it.

For what it's worth, I also dig the built-in power button. Even if it's a cheap solution, I like the fact that it's mostly hidden, considering it'll be so seldom used for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricochet and K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Ok I probably need to do a survey or something, or perhaps go back to the drawing board for the power panel design, come up with some alternatives.

What I am trying to do is reduce the amount of 3D printing material as this is by far the most expensive part of the case to produce.

The First Edition were sold at pretty much cost price, so unfortunately the next round of cases will have to be sold at a higher price. Reducing the amount of 3D printed material is a way to try and minimise that cost increase.

But if the general concensus is that it has a negative impact on the overall aesthetic, then I need to re-think things!

Reactions: Phuncz

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Could you manage a set of molds at this point, or is the cost too high to go that route?

Reactions: ricochet

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Could you manage a set of molds at this point, or is the cost too high to go that route?
Unfortunately not!

To get one injection mould tool made in a "prototype" (Aluminium) tool would cost in the region of £5k per component, the LZ7 would require 4 tools, one for each corner. The laser cut panels would not really be suitable for moulding due to their size, the tooling cost would be high.

A full Steel production I junction mould tool would cost in the region of £10k each for a component the size of an LZ7 corner piece, maybe £20k at a push for a four cavity tool that would do all 4 parts in one shot.

Working off a conservative estimate of £0.10 per moulded piece totalling £0.40 per case, I would need to sell 500 cases before this route becomes more cost effective than 3D printing.

The downside to injection moulding is that once you commit to the design it cannot be amended without great additional cost. So you better be sure your happy to spend £25k!

With that level of investment the money would be better spent in making a run of metal cases.

I'm rambling on, I'm also walking home from a beer festival, so much beer. Maybe I've said too much, who knows!

Reactions: Phuncz and ricochet

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Huh, 500 units is not nearly as bad as I would have thought. But the issue is that it's an upfront cost, so it's risky unless you know for sure there's a market for at least 500.

Reactions: Phuncz

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Huh, 500 units is not nearly as bad as I would have thought. But the issue is that it's an upfront cost, so it's risky unless you know for sure there's a market for at least 500.
Exactly, its £20k whether you make 1 or 500 cases, very risky. Injection moulding very quickly becomes cheap if you have the production volume, especially when comparing against the high costs of 3D printing.

These prices are based on prototype tooling companies I have worked with before on similar sized parts, with simple open/shut tool designs. Once you start introducing undercuts and special features the costs go up significantly.

But is there a market for 500 cases made from plastic? Probably not.

Reactions: ricochet

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
500 cases before this route becomes more cost effective than 3D printing.

You should really consider a crowdfunding campaign. I got very good responses when posting my LZ7 rig in /r/sffpc, and I'm sure many people would like to get one if you manage to get the price lower. In the end, if it doesn't work out, you can still revert to the old ways, but if you manage to do it, you can then re-produce cases in no time and at very low cost.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
You should really consider a crowdfunding campaign. I got very good responses when posting my LZ7 rig in /r/sffpc, and I'm sure many people would like to get one if you manage to get the price lower. In the end, if it doesn't work out, you can still revert to the old ways, but if you manage to do it, you can then re-produce cases in no time and at very low cost.

Well 500 cases usong injection moulding would equate to the same cost as 3D printing, that is the tipping point.

1000 cases would mean that the 3D printed element of the case is half the price, but even if the 3D printed element of the case was 50% total cost of the caee, upping to 1000 cases would only equal a reduction of total component cost of 25%.

It's something to think about, but you still need the numbers to make it work!

Reactions: Phuncz and ricochet