Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I have upgraded my LZ7 with the pieces in the signature and I'm still amazed on how amazing this case is. The upgrade was a breeze since you can easily open the sides and since I switched my power supply the cable fitted better (with the exception of the 24 pin motherboard). Using a Gigabyte RTX 2060 mini was easy and I didn't have any issues fitting in the case.

Thank you for sharing, that's great to hear. I'm glad your still enjoying your case :)

Reactions: dcaparros

Vensdale

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 8, 2019
Last weekend I finally build my first SFF PC.

I used ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard, Intel i9 9900K CPU (yeah, I know - I'm crazy)), Noctua NH-L12S CPU Cooler and Corsair SF 600 80+ Platinum Certified PSU.

Noctua NH-L12S
didn't fit :(

So I replaced it with Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B and Noctua NF-A12x15 as a fan

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Last weekend I finally build my first SFF PC.

I used ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard, Intel i9 9900K CPU (yeah, I know - I'm crazy)), Noctua NH-L12S CPU Cooler and Corsair SF 600 80+ Platinum Certified PSU.

Noctua NH-L12S
didn't fit :(

So I replaced it with Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B and Noctua NF-A12x15 as a fan

Great photos, thanks for sharing! What kind of temps are you getting with this setup?

Strange that the NH-L12S didn't fit, did you try a bit of light compression on the top of the heat sink to lower it 1mm or 2mm?

Vensdale

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 8, 2019
Great photos, thanks for sharing! What kind of temps are you getting with this setup?

Strange that the NH-L12S didn't fit, did you try a bit of light compression on the top of the heat sink to lower it 1mm or 2mm?
Hi Kevin! Thanks for such an eyecandy case! Yeah, I thought about some pressure but you can't do it because of tall vrm heatsink on the motherboard. Even heatpipes of Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 touches that heatsink so I had to place BIG Shuriken 2 in worst possible orientation. Plus i9 9900K is slightly taller than for example 8700K.

About temps... Of course i9 9900K is hot as hell. IDLE at 43C. CPU-Z says it's working at 4700 MHz. It can't pass Prime95 - it's too hot - and that is expected result. But I didn't had free time to play with it thoroughly so that's all I can say for now.

I managed to put there 2x HDDs WD10JFCX ))
And, yes, I need custom cables!

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Hi Kevin! Thanks for such an eyecandy case! Yeah, I thought about some pressure but you can't do it because of tall vrm heatsink on the motherboard. Even heatpipes of Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 touches that heatsink so I had to place BIG Shuriken 2 in worst possible orientation. Plus i9 9900K is slightly taller than for example 8700K.

About temps... Of course i9 9900K is hot as hell. IDLE at 43C. CPU-Z says it's working at 4700 MHz. It can't pass Prime95 - it's too hot - and that is expected result. But I didn't had free time to play with it thoroughly so that's all I can say for now.

Why not just remove the vrm heatsinks? They're usually designed with form over function anyway

dcaparros

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017

I think that for your case you should use a external power supply to have a better cooler capable of handling a 9900K...

what a crazy build...

Reactions: Vensdale and K888D

Dragon7

Cable Smoosher
Aug 4, 2018

CPU fan heatsink in this orientation is really bad for temps and noise. Tried that too, and it was awful )
Still, your build looks cool!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vensdale

penixtx

Case Bender
Feb 24, 2019
Been lurking for a while to figure out what i want to use for my very first SFF build this summer. Been super interested in this case for a while now. Especially with the use of an HDPLEX dc-dc to make room for a bigger cooler. Not fond of the brick i would need to use though so i was wondering if there was a was to make it brickless with that new HDPLEX 400w ac-dc.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Been lurking for a while to figure out what i want to use for my very first SFF build this summer. Been super interested in this case for a while now. Especially with the use of an HDPLEX dc-dc to make room for a bigger cooler. Not fond of the brick i would need to use though so i was wondering if there was a was to make it brickless with that new HDPLEX 400w ac-dc.

Welcome to the forum!

The new HDPLEX 400w AC-DC can actually be used as an external brick out of the box, HDPLEX include a number of cables inside the box that allow you to do so, the itself is safe to handle when powered.

Weredawg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 5, 2017
I was also planning on using the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac but with an i5-9600K, so I shouldn't run into the same Noctua NH-L12S problem that @Vensdale had right?

Nosuchthing

Trash Compacter
Feb 27, 2017
Had a problem with the cryorig 140mm slim fan from Overclockers. It had started rattling on it's bearing.

Currently in the process of returning it for a replacement, something like a 10 degree jump in temperatures at idle, but only a little change when actually running it under load. I do run my LZ7 as a tower though. Has anyone tested out the temperature differences between it as a cube and as a tower?

Also at @Weredawg, I run the NH-L12s and have had absolutely no fitment issues, it's tight, but there is a very tiny gap between the cooler and the SF450 above it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weredawg

penixtx

Case Bender
Feb 24, 2019
Welcome to the forum!

The new HDPLEX 400w AC-DC can actually be used as an external brick out of the box, HDPLEX include a number of cables inside the box that allow you to do so, the itself is safe to handle when powered.

Thanks for the welcome!

Oh? I'm guessing that's a no on a brickless HDPLEX build then? I guess i'll stick with a SFX power supply. Still a bit worried about the PSU covering some of the CPU cooler though. Could you point me to anyone whose done a thermal test with this case? I'll probably go full on airflow based on the configurator and use a i5 or ryzen 5 non X version for lower thermals.

Also how durable is this? I'm in the military and planning on taking this with me on deployment. I know laptops are probably a better choice in this scenario, but building one is still cheaper and this case is pretty cool. I will have some stuff that are required of me to put into carry on so this case might have to go into a check luggage. will be using a hard cover luggage and wrapped in my clothing so no worries there (I hope).

chewie13

Caliper Novice
Feb 19, 2018
Had a problem with the cryorig 140mm slim fan from Overclockers. It had started rattling on it's bearing.

Currently in the process of returning it for a replacement, something like a 10 degree jump in temperatures at idle, but only a little change when actually running it under load. I do run my LZ7 as a tower though. Has anyone tested out the temperature differences between it as a cube and as a tower?

Also at @Weredawg, I run the NH-L12s and have had absolutely no fitment issues, it's tight, but there is a very tiny gap between the cooler and the SF450 above it.

I have tested this as you can see from my profile pic, I changed it back due to it being 10+ degrees hotter for CPU or GPU depending which is on the bottom.

dcaparros

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
Dropping my 8700k+2070+NH L12S+Asrock z390 phantom... build here:
I encountered the same compatibility issue as Vensdale, but my solution is to swap the NF A12*15 fan with this http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/slip-stream-120-mm-slim.html scythe 12mm fan for a perfect fit.

Haven't tested the thernals in detail, but it wasn't bad at all.
I didn't know thata the scythe 120mm fan was slimmer than the noctua fan... that's a nice solution, my solution was to use a memory with basically no heat spreader (G. Skill Aegis) and the default noctua cooler

Reactions: Weredawg

Litian

Efficiency Noob
Feb 5, 2019
I was also planning on using the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac but with an i5-9600K, so I shouldn't run into the same Noctua NH-L12S problem that @Vensdale had right?
I'm pretty sure the Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming itx/ac is NOT compatible with the NH-L12S in a LZ7, it doesn't matter which CPU you use, the MoBo heatsink will get in the way of the Noctua cooler's NF-A12x15 fan in low profile mode. I suspect the reason Noctua list it as compatible is if you install it in high clearance mode, i.e. with the fan on top of the cooler heatsink. That's okay for larger cases, but you won't be able to install the SFX PSU in a LZ7 with a NH-L12S in high clearance mode (c.f. the 1st photo in my album).

If you want to stick with the NH-L12S (which is probably the best air cooler to fit in a LZ7?), the simple solution is to get a scythe 120x120x12mm PWM fan (it comes with different RPMs so check which one you want before buying) to replace the Noctua one that came with the NH-L12S - you won't need extra mounting as it works perfectly with the L12S's stock fan mount. Alternatively, you can get a scythe BIG Shuriken 2 (Rev.b? anyway, it's one of the BIG Shurikens, or something similar), I'm not sure which one gets you better thermals: NH-L12S with 12mm scythe fan, or the Shuriken, but both should serve your 9600k well.

As a side note, the heatpipes of the NH-L12S was not a concern, however you can only install it in one direction i.e. with heatpipes pointing towards the case fan. RAM compatibility is not an issue of concern with the Vengeance LPX or HyperX Fury.

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
Question- if one is using something like double sided tape, what is the maximum length and height of a psu that could be mounted on the front panel? Also, can the right (fan/power button) panel be rotated 180 degrees so that the button is closer to the back side of the case rather than the front? Would that make a difference on question 1?