Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

Martix50

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2017

5ghz !!!
Well i wouldn't call this OC stable as I wasn't able to pass the 20min mark on prime95 without thermal throttling but I was able to pass all these other benchmarks without problems and with decent noise levels.
I haven't tested 4.9Ghz but I did 30 min of prime 95 at 4.8ghz averaging 79c Celsius on CPU with fans set to silent.

GPU was left with the out-of-the-box settings and IDLEed at 40c and peaked at 70c over these tests.

Config:
CPU: Intel - I5 8600k (coffee lake)
CPU cooler: Noctua - NH-D9L
Mobo: Asrock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
Ram: Kingston - HyperX fury black 16gb (2x8) DDR4-2666
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini ITX OC
Intake fan: Prolimatech - Ultra sleek vertex 14
Exhaust fan: Noctua - NF-A9 PWM
PSU: HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX + Dell 330W power brick

Random spinner spotted :p

in my defense, it's there just because i got it as a freebie at the Razer keynote event :-)

edit: corrected CPU temp at 4.8

Last edited:

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
Funny i just ran 3dmark time spy and i got almost the same score with the oc or without it. My system is fine i guess no need to overclock anything because clearly the cpu is not a bottle neck for the gpu to perform. And this way it is less heat and more quiet. If i need more juice i saved the profile in the bios just in case
:cool:

Can you try again Prime95 without overclock, please?

I want to quote and answer to an old post:

The design in the images was only an initial project's view.
I still think You should try to place the fan in front of the case. Even if Your ram will be blocking 10-30% of the fan's area, You will have an air movement through the whole case. Some cases have some additional PCB boards like in the design i posted, so in Your design they will act like memory pcb's in my bro's design. I think if You will be using 65W cpu's than You shouldn't be afraid of something like that in both situations... but everything needs to be tested. Are You preparing some prototypes other than wooden?

For me K888D has made the right choice, I have a CM Elite 110 that has the same layout mentioned above and the front fan is obstructed by psu cables (almost touching the fan!) and ram sticks and fan itself is far from the cpu heatsink, so if you haven't a high static pressure fan i think you lost a lot of airflow.

With K888D choice you have lateral fan in front of CPU heatsink and it helps to cool it better.
If you also have a flower style cooler like me, peripheal cooling won't be a problem.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I have a question for LZ7 owners. I am getting ready to buy a Fire MI-6 which has similar cooler height restrictions as the LZ7, has anyone tried an i7 8700k in the LZ7 yet. I am curious what kind of temps to expect with the available coolers, in particular the Scythe Big Shuriken and the Noctua NH-L12. Thanks in advance.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I have a question for LZ7 owners. I am getting ready to buy a Fire MI-6 which has similar cooler height restrictions as the LZ7, has anyone tried an i7 8700k in the LZ7 yet. I am curious what kind of temps to expect with the available coolers, in particular the Scythe Big Shuriken and the Noctua NH-L12. Thanks in advance.
I mean, thermals depend a fair bit on case ventilation, just keep that in mind :)

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com

I'm only aware of 1 forum member who has built a Coffee Lake LZ7 and thats @Martix50 , you can see his results at the top of this page. But that was using a much taller CPU cooler.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time testing and experimenting with different low profile (sub 70mm) coolers over the past couple of years, these are what I’ve tried so far:
  • Intel Stock
  • Noctua NH-L9i
  • Noctua NH-L12
  • Silverstone AR05
  • Silverstone AR06
  • Arctic Freezer 11 LP
  • Thermalright AXP-100
  • Scythe Big Shuriken 2
  • Scythe Kozuti
  • Akasa K32
The 2 stand out coolers for me have been the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 (SBS2) and Noctua NH-L12. The SBS2 gives the lowest temps of any low profile cooler I’ve tested but the fan is noisy, whereas the NH-L12 gives the best compromise between temps and low noise at just a couple of degrees warmer than the Scythe.

If your set on getting the 8700k and your max cooler clearance is less than 68mm then the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 will give you the best chance of adequate cooling.

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
I don't Know in real tests, but in reviews Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet performs almost like SBS2 with much lower noise (mine is always at Max speed and is inudibile) and increased motherboard ventilation.

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I don't Know in real tests, but in reviews Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet performs almost like SBS2 but much lower noise (mine is always at Max speed and is inudibile) and increased motherboard ventilation.
Your testing has shown that its a very capable cooler. I would buy one and compare it against the coolers I've been using, but unfortunately Zalman have discontinued it so it probably won't be available to buy for much longer.

Reactions: wesbl

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Reactions: robbee

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
I don't believe they will be available for much longer, all other shops are listing the cooler as "end of life".

On a related note the NH-L12 is end of life also, so I've got its successor the NH-L12S on order, hope to receive it this week/early next week and will post results of how it compares against the original. Thats if it fits being 70mm tall.

Strange because CNPS8900 has not a successor and they have Just made a Ryzen kit for it...

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
Strange indeed. Scan, Overclockers, QuietPC and newegg are reporting it as no longer available. Even Zalman's own product page is no longer working for it, at least as far as I can tell.

Zalman website has problems these days, coolers page there is no more, one week ago was ok, they have also made a new Box for it, you can check on my pics.

EDIT

Wait wait! You were checking the wrong one, mine is CNPS8900 Quiet, CNPS8900 Ultra is an old one with much more rpm fan, no more producted. The only right you have checked is overclockers one but is only out of stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and ignsvn

Martix50

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2017

IMO if you are going with the LZ7 with SFX PSU stay away from the unlocked CPUs. Those low profile coolers are not meant to OC, they are meant for noise reduction. This doesn't mean you can't overclock with them, but you won't get much out of them since you gonna end up thermal throttling pretty quick. Also, you gonna end up with a noisier system.

If you go (like me) with the HDPLEX + power brick, overclocking is totally doable as this configuration allows a lot more airflow. I stabilized my 8600k at 4.8ghz and I'm hitting around 80degrees under full prime95 load. The best thing of this config is that I'm able to run my system totally passive (nothing spinning) while IDLEing or doing light tasks.

another thing you have to be careful with unlocked CPUs is power consumption. My system 8600k + GTX 1060 6gb under full CPU + GPU load is drawing from the socket 320W which is just 10W under the 330W power brick rating. If you are throwing in the system a beefier GPU you will likely exceed the power capacity of the power brick.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
IMO if you are going with the LZ7 with SFX PSU stay away from the unlocked CPUs. Those low profile coolers are not meant to OC, they are meant for noise reduction. This doesn't mean you can't overclock with them, but you won't get much out of them since you gonna end up thermal throttling pretty quick. Also, you gonna end up with a noisier system.

If you go (like me) with the HDPLEX + power brick, overclocking is totally doable as this configuration allows a lot more airflow. I stabilized my 8600k at 4.8ghz and I'm hitting around 80degrees under full prime95 load. The best thing of this config is that I'm able to run my system totally passive (nothing spinning) while IDLEing or doing light tasks.

another thing you have to be careful with unlocked CPUs is power consumption. My system 8600k + GTX 1060 6gb under full CPU + GPU load is drawing from the socket 320W which is just 10W under the 330W power brick rating. If you are throwing in the system a beefier GPU you will likely exceed the power capacity of the power brick.
Thanks for this, great info!

Do you happen to know what the system draws under full load if you kept your 8600K at stock settings?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
@K888D I'm a bit surprised you didn't test the Cryorig C7, as it fits pretty much entirely within the Intel CPU keepout limits for 115x (so has good compatibility) and has good reviews. Mine has direct access to fresh air and I don't notice it at all, noisewise. Although, it may not be entirely as happy under a SFX PSU.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
@K888D I'm a bit surprised you didn't test the Cryorig C7, as it fits pretty much entirely within the Intel CPU keepout limits for 115x (so has good compatibility) and has good reviews. Mine has direct access to fresh air and I don't notice it at all, noisewise. Although, it may not be entirely as happy under a SFX PSU.

I live about a 10 minute drive from Scan.co.uk and so buy 95% of my hardware from there, but they've never stocked the Cryorig C7, is the simplest reason why I've not tested it! I've always had the intention of getting hold of one though, it just never happened.

From what I've read in various discussions and reviews/tests it runs a few degrees cooler than the NH-L9, but the fan is noisier.