Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
How well would this case perform in a non-air conditioned room in the summertime with 30C ambient temps? I realize it probably depends on the hardware inside but generally could a system be kept reasonably quiet in this case with high ambient temps?

It’s hard to say really, I’m not 100% sure how ambient temperatures affect CPU/GPU load temperatures, whether 1C extra ambient = 1C extra CPU temp for same given CPU load and fan power/RPM. I’ve carried out my testing at around 22C ambient, so I would expect the same setup to have CPU/GPU temps that are 8C higher in 30C ambient. I think you will be fine to run any CPU that is rated at 65W TDP or below so long as you use a suitable cooler, but if you want it to remain quiet (low fan RPMs) then you may need to limit yourself to an Intel i5 or Ryzen 5.

At 22C ambient the case can cool an i5-6500 with a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 typical gaming load under 50C with fan RPMs of around 1000 (quiet) when using Prolimatech 140mm case fan running around 900 - 1000 rpm as well. Moving up to an i7-7700 and using the Noctua NH-L12 (bottom 92mm fan only) it keeps the CPU around 60C gaming load at fan RPMs of around 1400 RPM (fairly quiet) + case fan rpm of 900 – 1000 rpm. If you add 8C onto those results then the fan RPM’s will increase, I expect the i7 setup will need to step up to 100% fan load (2000rpm for the Noctua 92mm) at which point it will become quite audible (but not massively loud as these are Noctuas).

GPU wise, with my Gigabyte GTX 1070 ITX whilst high load gaming it runs at 82C (its thermal target temp) and maintains a boost speed of around 1720 MHz with fan RPM’s of around 1550 RPM (silent profile) which is fairly quiet, a medium pitch whooshing sound. If I set the fan profile to standard it runs at around 70C whilst gaming and maintains a boost speed of around 1800 MHz with fan RPM of something like 2200 RPM, which is starting to get pretty loud to be honest and a medium/high pitch buzzing/whooshing sound.

Results will vary from setup to setup so please take the above temps as ballpark figures.

Reactions: dcaparros

Jamie55

Case Bender
Jul 25, 2017
I've just bought the case, and it looks amazing, but I can't seem to get the feet attached properly.

Firstly, the Lian Li SD-02A feet have a small plastic rod that sticks out further than the top of the foot, stopping them from sitting directly on the bottom of the case.

I've cut this off myself and it seems to sit fine now. The second problem is that the bolts to attach the feet are too short to allow a nut to be attached, as they don't stick out beyond the lower panel of the case. This happens with both the bolts provided in the box for the feet and the bolts that come with the case itself.

If anyone can offer any assistance as to how to attach the feet it would be greatly appreciated. Am I going to have to purchase new bolts?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I've just bought the case, and it looks amazing, but I can't seem to get the feet attached properly.

Firstly, the Lian Li SD-02A feet have a small plastic rod that sticks out further than the top of the foot, stopping them from sitting directly on the bottom of the case.

I've cut this off myself and it seems to sit fine now. The second problem is that the bolts to attach the feet are too short to allow a nut to be attached, as they don't stick out beyond the lower panel of the case. This happens with both the bolts provided in the box for the feet and the bolts that come with the case itself.

If anyone can offer any assistance as to how to attach the feet it would be greatly appreciated. Am I going to have to purchase new bolts?
I am sorry about this, there has been a mix up with the feet that were added to the configurator on the Overclockers UK product page. I can send you some longer bolts that will work, please send me a private message and I'll get it sorted for you.

Lian-Li have 2 types of silver feet, unfortunately 1 of them has a small bump on their top surface and they are also thicker so require longer bolts, we made a mix up with which was which. The product page has now been corrected to the right ones that do fit.

MP-Canuck

Cable Smoosher
Aug 29, 2017
It’s hard to say really, I’m not 100% sure how ambient temperatures affect CPU/GPU load temperatures, whether 1C extra ambient = 1C extra CPU temp for same given CPU load and fan power/RPM. I’ve carried out my testing at around 22C ambient, so I would expect the same setup to have CPU/GPU temps that are 8C higher in 30C ambient. I think you will be fine to run any CPU that is rated at 65W TDP or below so long as you use a suitable cooler, but if you want it to remain quiet (low fan RPMs) then you may need to limit yourself to an Intel i5 or Ryzen 5.

At 22C ambient the case can cool an i5-6500 with a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 typical gaming load under 50C with fan RPMs of around 1000 (quiet) when using Prolimatech 140mm case fan running around 900 - 1000 rpm as well. Moving up to an i7-7700 and using the Noctua NH-L12 (bottom 92mm fan only) it keeps the CPU around 60C gaming load at fan RPMs of around 1400 RPM (fairly quiet) + case fan rpm of 900 – 1000 rpm. If you add 8C onto those results then the fan RPM’s will increase, I expect the i7 setup will need to step up to 100% fan load (2000rpm for the Noctua 92mm) at which point it will become quite audible (but not massively loud as these are Noctuas).

GPU wise, with my Gigabyte GTX 1070 ITX whilst high load gaming it runs at 82C (its thermal target temp) and maintains a boost speed of around 1720 MHz with fan RPM’s of around 1550 RPM (silent profile) which is fairly quiet, a medium pitch whooshing sound. If I set the fan profile to standard it runs at around 70C whilst gaming and maintains a boost speed of around 1800 MHz with fan RPM of something like 2200 RPM, which is starting to get pretty loud to be honest and a medium/high pitch buzzing/whooshing sound.

Results will vary from setup to setup so please take the above temps as ballpark figures.

Thank you for the informative answer. I would probably be going with a R5 1600 or R7 1700 and gtx1050ti or 1060 so I think this case could be an option for me.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kiaser21

Chassis Packer
Dec 23, 2016
Sorry to hear that, if you need me to get in touch with them for you let me know.

They said they got it worked out. What's a real bummer is I refreshed this forum for 4 months hoping the item would be on sale, and last week I finally gave in and bought a new PC with a full sized 1080 Ti. Then this week the LZ7 finally goes on sale, just my luck! I bought one anyway, but it's just going to sit and look pretty until I find a use for it instead of being my main PC ;)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
There are 2 main changes between the First Edition and the Production version:
  1. Power Buttons/IO (Shape Change)
  2. Rear Panel Thickness (3mm > 5mm)
All screw fixing positions have remained in the same place.

The new IO side panel wont fit onto the First Edition as the power button cutout shapes are different. But what I can do is ship you a new side panel in matte finish to the old design if you want to keep the same corner pieces?

Changing all 4 corners from First Edition to new version you will also need a new rear panel if you want it to sit flush.
Thanks for the info and the offer ! I'm almost getting a second case when I would change the corner pieces and the glossy panels, so maybe I should go that route. I'm going to think about it and get back to you via PM if I decide to buy the parts.

Reactions: dcaparros

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
It doesn't help that the venting is super restrictive either!

I'm really glad they finally ditched the second DVI, though I wish the DP/HDMI connectors were in the same layout as the FE 1080, then I could use a single slot bracket meant for the FE 1080 to fit the card in my case easier. :p
Edit:
At least based on the I/O layout a single slot bracket for a R9 Fury or RX 480 might work.

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
It looks like there is so much more space for venting potential on that rear IO bracket, you would think they would open it up as much as possible to help exhaust air out the rear of the case.

Reactions: Biowarejak

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I started a thread about my trip to Insomnia 61 Gaming Festival:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/visit-to-insomnia-61-gaming-festival.3220/#post-62285

Here are the bits that were are relevant to this thread:

The reason I was visiting i61, Overclockers UK were displaying their 8Pack extreme overclocked range along with the introduction of their new Kube pre-built system, bases around a custom Lazer3D case:

Another view of all the cases together, including a custom watercooled Parvum case and the Phanteks Shift-X:

This was also the first time I've seen the new Phanteks Shift-X in person, it really is a nice looking case up close, but also pretty darn big for an ITX case.

The LZ7 got an honorary mention too! Although I was hoping for Overclockers UK to have a couple of them on display to showcase its scale and configuration options, but sadly not. Hopefully they will for their next trade show.

They did however have the Kube which was running a Zotac GTX 1080Ti Mini with an Intel i7-7700:

Promotional video of the Kube Gaming PC:

You can take a look at the Kube product page HERE.

Overclockers UK have also updated their landing page for the LZ7 to include a slightly more polished version of the configurator HERE.

NEXT STEPS

I'm working on a bunch of things at the moment to try and drive this forward:

1) My current focus is testing out the new Noctua A12x15 slim fans and various CPU coolers to see which is truly the best cooler and fan combination for the LZ7.

2) In the next couple of months we are going to be adding Matte Grey to the main case panel options, the material is on order and I'll post some photos as soon as I can get some cut and built up. I think the grey will look nice with the coloured accents.

3) I have received a variety of sample wood sheets for testing out on the laser cutter. Initial trials on the first wood type went OK, but there were some minor teething issues I need to address before I would be happy to send them out. I'm not sure of the timescale on availability of wood panels, But I will be posting photos as it develops, hopefully have something to show soon.

4) Vandal switch options will also be available soon in addition to the Full IO (Power/Reset, USB and Audio) current design, the switches will be pre-wired and available in a variety of LED colours. This should hopefully appeal to those who prioritise simpler cable management over connectivity!

5) My next priority is getting the case to work with DC-DC power supplies such as the HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX, this will allow for tower cooler up to around 130mm in height to be fitted into the case to satisfy the CPU enthusiasts. A new rear panel is also being developed along with an alternative Storage Drive mounting panel that the HDPLEX can be fitted to. The HiFi DC-ATX is 160mm wide, so its going to be a tight fit, it will most likely only be compatible in conjunction with the Vandal Switch option and not the Full IO Panel. I'm waiting to receive a DC-ATX power supply and have the Noctua NH-U9S ready to carry out the testing.

6) Alternative Top Panel is being worked on with mounting points and vents for 120mm / 140mm fans (hopefully) allowing you to mount a an AIO cooler. This needs to be tested before I can fully confirm this option.

dcaparros

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
6) Alternative Top Panel is being worked on with mounting points and vents for 120mm / 140mm fans (hopefully) allowing you to mount a an AIO cooler. This needs to be tested before I can fully confirm this option.

Fantastic news! It's impressive the commitment that you have with the case, even after it's released.

About question 6, AIO only for HDplex options?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Wait.. what's the deal with this 'KUBE' thing? They haven't ripped your design off have they?

Thanks @TheHig and @dcaparros for answering, don't worry this case is a Lazer3D case! It measures about 8.8 Litres instead of the LZ7's 7.07 Litres, in my opinion its lost a bit of the LZ7's charm, which was to cater purely for ITX components. Overclockers UK wanted a case that could work with the GTX 1080 Ti Mini and also take a 25mm thick side fan, I also wanted to make the case a bit more robust as this was to be shipped to customers fully built up, so multi layered and thicker side panels have been used, all of these added up to larger case.

Saying that though, it could possibly have the highest FPS per Litre of any pre-built and fully upgrade-able system on the (UK?) market, don't know for sure though!

About question 6, AIO only for HDplex options?

Yes that's right. Taller coolers or AIO coolers are only possible by removing the SFX power supply and replacing with a smaller DC-DC power supply.

I'm working on a few possible solutions for mounting the HDPLEX 400W HiFi board for maximum compatibilty with large coolers (The HDPLEX is pretty big and surprisingly difficult to find somewhere to mount it in the case without interfering with other components), just waiting for the one I've ordered to turn up so I can test it.

There may be some compatibility issues trying to fit larger 140mm AIO coolers, but most 120mm AIO coolers should be compatible

Though I think there are more than a few people anxious to see what other case projects you might have cooking.

Got some more cases in the works, but it probably wont be till near the end of the year / early next year before I start showing the designs.

Geran Brown

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2017
I really wish they made smaller USB 3.0 cables. I'm looking forward to the vandal switch with the USB ports. Are you going to consider just selling the panel without the switch just in case we want something different?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I really wish they made smaller USB 3.0 cables. I'm looking forward to the vandal switch with the USB ports. Are you going to consider just selling the panel without the switch just in case we want something different?

The vandal switch panel will only have the power button, nothing else. You can take a look at what it should like in this thread from @Phuncz :

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lz7-lan-party-build.1223/

Bare in mind the above case was a First Edition case, the design has changed slightly since.

I am considering moving the switch half way down the panel rather than the top corner, this is to open up an area along the front top of the case for mounting the HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX.

Are you going to consider just selling the panel without the switch just in case we want something different?

You should be able to select that you don't want the switch in the options if you already own one or want to buy a different one.