Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

ccc415

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 30, 2017
Thanks for the update!
I really like the integrated look of the USB ports and jacks, looks very clean.

Question though, if I play to use a dust (room too dusty), should I just pick open vent style?

multi

Efficiency Noob
Apr 6, 2017
Will you add dust filters? The video card is also needed. 3.5 hdd can be installed?

Last edited:

multi

Efficiency Noob
Apr 6, 2017
I tried to get a 3.5" drive to fit but there isn't enough space unfortunately.

Even here?

2.) Is it possible to combine with the PCU format (Seasonic 350TGM TFX) regularly?

3.) And one more question. Fits 13.1 cm processor cooler (Arctic Freezer Xtreme Rev.2) if you use an external PSU?

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Even here?

That is the position I originally tried to get it to fit, but there just isn't enough space to fit the full 147mm long 3.5" HDD, plus the Sata power cables sticking out the end of the drive.

It may be possible to stick a drive in their 'unofficially' if you wanted to try it, but it isn't a feature that I can add 'officially' due to too many incompatibilities.

Maybe if you used a shorter GPU such as the short length GTX 1050 Ti's then it would allow the drive to overlap where the GPU would normally sit.

2.) Is it possible to combine with the PCU format (Seasonic 350TGM TFX) regularly?

TFX drives are usually 175mm long, the LZ7 has 186mm internal length, so unfortunately there would not be enough room to fit a TFX PSU once you factor in the power cables, plus you would have to remove the 2.5" drive panel for it to fit.

Standard SFX units are the best choice for this case for all round compatibility.

3.) And one more question. Fits 13.1 cm processor cooler (Arctic Freezer Xtreme Rev.2) if you use an external PSU?

An external PSU setup would be possible yes, it is something I have thought about and would like to introduce at some point.

A new rear and/or top panel(s) would be required that a HDPLEX or similar could be mounted to. Alternatively the 2.5" mounting panel could be adapted to accept a power board at the front of the case.

The possibilities are there and it would as you suggest open up the possibility for a tower cooler up to something like 135mm tall.

Reactions: Ceros_X and Phuncz

multi

Efficiency Noob
Apr 6, 2017
The length of the PCU Seasonic 350TGM TFX = 175mm and it will fit (175x85x63,5). Can you standardly add 2 bolt holes on the back? And a similar request with holes for 3.5 hdd, in the description do not specify the possibility of installing 3.5 *, let it be for enthusiasts)

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
The length of the PCU Seasonic 350TGM TFX = 175mm and it will fit (175x85x63,5). Can you standardly add 2 bolt holes on the back? And a similar request with holes for 3.5 hdd, in the description do not specify the possibility of installing 3.5 *, let it be for enthusiasts)

I've just had a look at that PSU and it looks like a modular unit, I would assume that the 175mm quoted in its specs is without the power cables connected, you need to allow for roughly another 20mm of length for the cables sticking out the end of the PSU. I don't think it will fit.

Regarding the 3.5" drive, I will have another look at adding some mounting holes for those who want to give it a try.

Geran Brown

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2017
1. Will the msi 1070 mini fit in this?
2. What do you recommend for positive air flow as stated?
3. Is there a link to see all the options available?
4. Will you ship to the United States?

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
I'm very interested with the case does it come with matte black whole body?, the video the one with acrylic casing looks like its very prone to scratches. :(

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
1. Will the msi 1070 mini fit in this?
I want to say yes, but I can't fully confirm as it depends on how recessed the power connector is, I've not got one to measure.

MSI's specs list it as 129mm tall, the Gigabyte version is 131mm tall and that fits (just), the Gigabyte card has the power connector recessed by 10mm.

Does anybody have this card to measure the distance from the bottom edge of the PCI slot to the top of the 8pin power connector, you can see its recessed top right in this picture:

2. What do you recommend for positive air flow as stated?

To create a positive pressure setup is straight forward, all you need to do is make sure whichever 140mm (slim) case fan you pick is orientated to pull air into the case (the exposed fan blades side of fan needs to face outwards).

Setting the fan to blow into the case firstly blows cool external air straight onto the CPU cooler helping reduce temps, which in turns means you can run lower CPU fan RPMs for quieter high load operation. Secondly, blowing air across the motherboard towards the GPU prevents warm GPU exhaust air moving back into the case toward the CPU, effectively flushing the hot air straight out the case and preventing re-circulation. Thirdly with a positive pressure setup you can control dust ingress using filters on your intake vents.

From my testing I have found that setting the case fan in a negative pressure setup (blowing air out the case), actually improves the GPU temperatures by a couple of degrees, but at the same time it significantly increases the CPU, motherboard and M.2 drive temperatures due to the warm GPU air being pulled into the main chamber of the case and across the motherboard.

Out of the fans I've tested the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 gives the best noise to airflow ratio. I've also heard good things about the Cryorig XT140 but it isn't one I have tested personally yet. Steer clear of the Thermalright TY-14013R, it is really loud, but does produce good airflow if your not fussed about noise.

3. Is there a link to see all the options available?

I'm very interested with the case does it come with matte black whole body?, the video the one with acrylic casing looks like its very prone to scratches. :(

The YouTube video used a very early prototype which was made from all polished panels, the First Edition since released featured a mix of matte and polished panels, the next version will be available in all matte panels.

I will be updating the configurator tool to include all the latest design options with the different vents, colours and IO options when I get chance, here is a link to the First Edition BLACK and WHITE configurators for you to get an idea.

The renders need updating with the new style power buttons, along with the additional vent styles (Aero, Cyclone, Radial), extra side panel colours will be available other than just smoked grey, along with option for matte surface finish on all panels, potentially the main panels (front, top and base) will also be available in different colours as well.

The goal is to offer a fully customisable case so everyone gets a unique case tailored to their own tastes and build priorities.

4. Will you ship to the United States?

Yes no problem, shipping to most worldwide countries is available including the US, shipping cost to the US is around £20 from memory.

Weredawg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 5, 2017
Sorry in advance if this has been answered but...

For people who opt for the 16mm cutout option for the power button, do you include that button? If so what kind/color LED?

spiffyfitz

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2017
This case looks so awesome. It's exactly what I've always wanted in a SFF gaming machine!

I'm glad I discovered it, and I'm looking forward VERY MUCH to the next announcement!!

--edit--

The only concerns I have is about the case material, acrylic plastic.

Does the case get hot to the touch? Acrylic can be a pretty good thermal insulator... It can also be pretty structurally weak. What is the thickness of the current design? Have you found any fractures developed on the housing? I'm particularly concerned about the mounting points to hold the SFX power supply... that's a lot of weight!

Last edited:
Reactions: K888D and cmyk78

ccc415

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 30, 2017
This case looks so awesome. It's exactly what I've always wanted in a SFF gaming machine!

I'm glad I discovered it, and I'm looking forward VERY MUCH to the next announcement!!

--edit--

The only concerns I have is about the case material, acrylic plastic.

Does the case get hot to the touch? Acrylic can be a pretty good thermal insulator... It can also be pretty structurally weak. What is the thickness of the current design? Have you found any fractures developed on the housing? I'm particularly concerned about the mounting points to hold the SFX power supply... that's a lot of weight!

I always thought aluminium would work very well with this design (panels only). Since it's not as thick as the acrylic panels, maybe the corners can be bent over to create a dual layer to match the thickness of the acrylic? No idea whether it's feasible though, just a thought.

Can't wait for the new batch! Any updates?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
For people who opt for the 16mm cutout option for the power button, do you include that button? If so what kind/color LED?

The switch is not included with the 16mm cutout version, mainly due to the fact that I don't have the tools (or skills) to attempt to wire up vandall switches to a level I would be happy to sell, but it also means you can source your own switch or even go for the awesome Iris 16 that @iFreilicht is working on.

Thanks allot, I appreciate the support!

Does the case get hot to the touch? Acrylic can be a pretty good thermal insulator...

The only place the case gets hot is around the GPU exhaust points on the front and rear of the case, this cannot be avoided with any case if you want the hot air to get out the case.

The rest of the case is cool to the touch, no problem with heat build up whatsoever due to the 140mm side fan flushing it straight out.

It can also be pretty structurally weak. What is the thickness of the current design? Have you found any fractures developed on the housing?

The main panels (front, Bottom and Top) are 5mm, the side and rear panels are 3mm. The only fracture I am aware of was from one of the guys on this forum dropping a panel onto its corner and it broke which I replaced for him. There are around 30 cases in circulation and I haven't had any feedback yet to suggest any structural weaknesses.

I'm particularly concerned about the mounting points to hold the SFX power supply... that's a lot of weight!

Yes the SFX power supplies do sag a little bit under their weight due to some flex in the rear panel, but once you've tied up your cables in front of the PSU they sit pretty solid preventing movement. In terms of panel strength its no problem, however I wouldn't recommend this case for frequent travel.

In my own rig I'm using the Noctua NH-L12 (bottom fan only) and the PSU sits above the haetsink separated by a 5mm rubber foot, this method works really well.

I always thought aluminium would work very well with this design (panels only). Since it's not as thick as the acrylic panels, maybe the corners can be bent over to create a dual layer to match the thickness of the acrylic?

Or you could just use 5mm and 3mm thick Aluminum panels. Would make for a darn solid case.

I would love to do a metal version, I think I would go full metal though if I was to do it. Its not something I am working on right now, but perhaps next year.

At the moment I am focusing on Acrylic and all the different colours, surface finishes and vent designs. The next thing I will be focusing on is wood panels, but that will probably be Q4 of this year before they become available.

Can't wait for the new batch! Any updates?

Sorry for the delay, I know I've been saying for a while I have an announcement coming 'soon', its taking a bit longer than I was expecting to get the confirmation I've been waiting for. But hopefully I should be able to make the announcement within the next couple of weeks. Thanks for your patience.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@K888D

Alright, I have been eyeing this chassis for awhile; but I must admit I have not read thru ALL of the thread, I have probably read the first dozen or so pages awhile back & have skimmed the last 2 dozen pages more recently...

I LOVE the GPU cooling aspect, seems like a HUGE selling point...!

Some questions...

The holes in the top panel, two on either side of the PSU vent area; what are they for...?

I could see using those for mounting a set of brackets to the top that would serve as a stand for a lightsaber hilt...

Functional computer AND display base all in one...!

PSU sag, any chances of a bracket to support the PSU, maybe attached to the top panel...? Dunno how that would work with assembly / disassembly of the chassis though... Further thought makes me think one could put the top panel in first, reach in to place the support bracket in place & secure with thumbscrews thru the top panel; then button up the chassis by installing the front panel... Reverse it all to take the chassis apart as needed...?

GPU side, this can be a big gaping hole with the fan guard as well...? Although, that Radial pattern is pretty nice...!

Still GPU side, thoughts on cooling changes if the GPU is de-shrouded...?Thoughts towards also de-fanning & mounting a slim 140mm fan to the side intake that blows directly on the GPU heatsink (and would be wired to the GPU fan header as well)...?

In regards to the Big Shuriken CPU cooler, you mention the fan is noisy; thoughts towareds replacing same with either another Prolimatech fan or the (thinner, 13mm) Cryorig fan...? These both have 120mm mounting points, so they should mount up to the heatsink alright...?

The Matte Black finish all around looks AWESOME, especially with the Radial pattern vents...!!!

As to the I/O & Power / Reset panel; possibilty of the USB ports in Black (rather than the Blue) & the LEDs in a soft white (I think they are blue right now)...?

I have been looking for a SFF chassis to give a home to this Corsair SF600 SFX PSU I have been sitting on for awhile (which I won in a giveaway from this very forum...!!!), and all of the contenders have not really moved into any type of production; or those that have give me some doubts as to sufficient airflow for the chassis...!

But the LZ7 seems to have plenty of airflow with the 140mm intake fan providing positive pressure & the 360 degree venting for the GPU...!

A third of the way thru May, where is the Big Announcement that was coming in April...?!? ;^p

Looking forward to more info / availability for V2.0 of the LZ7...!

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Or you could just use 5mm and 3mm thick Aluminum panels. Would make for a darn solid case.

@K888D

Might this be an option from the third party vendor I have seen elsewhere in the thread that one can order panels from...? Might that same vendor also do powdercoating...? Matte Black, of course...

Or, of course, an option to order powdercoated aluminium panels as an option to the acrylic ones directly from you...?

I could see sturdy aluminium panels in conjunction with the 3D printed corner pieces, especially with the threaded metal inserts on the corner pieces...!

Would also take care of the pesky PSU sag issue, AND allow more strength for countersunk screws...?!?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I can't speak to all of that, but it's been mentioned a few times that PSU sag is eliminated by the end of the build process.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Wow thanks for all the questions, I'll do my best to answer them for you below!

The holes in the top panel, two on either side of the PSU vent area; what are they for...?

Originally they were added in case I ever developed a handle, but as you say, they could potentially be used for a multitude of different gizmos I suppose.

I could see using those for mounting a set of brackets to the top that would serve as a stand for a lightsaber hilt...

Functional computer AND display base all in one...!

Storing light sabers yes!

PSU sag, any chances of a bracket to support the PSU, maybe attached to the top panel...? Dunno how that would work with assembly / disassembly of the chassis though... Further thought makes me think one could put the top panel in first, reach in to place the support bracket in place & secure with thumbscrews thru the top panel; then button up the chassis by installing the front panel... Reverse it all to take the chassis apart as needed...?

Yes this is something I have put some thought into but not done anything about yet. Potentially a small bracket could be 3D printed that attaches and hangs from the holes in the top panel and provides a small ledge for the PSU to rest on. As you mention you would need to think about the order in which you install your components, it would add some difficulty.

I will see what I can do to design a bracket for this and report back to see what you think.

I can't speak to all of that, but it's been mentioned a few times that PSU sag is eliminated by the end of the build process.

Thanks, yes when you finish off your cabling in front of the PSU make sure you bundle and tie up those cables nice and tight, the cable bundle becomes very rigid doing this and provides extra support for the PSU.

GPU side, this can be a big gaping hole with the fan guard as well...?

Yes you can select an 'open' panel for the GPU side which can then either have a fan guard or dust filter mounted to the panel.

Still GPU side, thoughts on cooling changes if the GPU is de-shrouded...?Thoughts towards also de-fanning & mounting a slim 140mm fan to the side intake that blows directly on the GPU heatsink (and would be wired to the GPU fan header as well)...?

This is definitely possible and was actually tried by @Phuncz in his build thread HERE. But something to bare in mind is that when you remove the shroud of a GPU you are reducing the efficiency of the heatsink, the shroud plays a very important role in directing airflow into and along the entire length of every metal fin. Without the shroud airflow will hit the heatsink fins and just bounce off greatly reducing its effectivity, the airflow doesn't get into the nooks and crannies so to speak, just flows over the top.

I think Phuncz reported mixed results using this method.

In regards to the Big Shuriken CPU cooler, you mention the fan is noisy; thoughts towareds replacing same with either another Prolimatech fan or the (thinner, 13mm) Cryorig fan...? These both have 120mm mounting points, so they should mount up to the heatsink alright...?

Yes thats right, although the Big Shuriken 2 gives amazing temperature results, I wasn't impressed by the noise profile of the Scythe fan it comes with. It is quite audible even at idle speeds.

Here is a gallery of an early prototype build from last year with some temp results using the Scythe fan, another problem I found with the Scythe fan is that it wasn't reporting its RPM back to the motherboard, I could hear the fan increasing and decreasing in speed depending on temp so it was working properly, but the motherboard was registering it as 0 rpm:

I replaced the Scythe fan with an Akasa FN078 and it pretty much silenced the cooler whilst also improving temperatures as well, these were the results I got when Prime95 testing an i5-6500, the temp tests are on the last 3 slides:

I was stunned by the Big Shuriken 2 + Akasa FN078 combination performance, with a custom low speed fan profile and under full Prime95 + Unigine Valley load of the i5-6500 and GTX 1070 the CPU maxed out at 50C with a fan speed under 900rpm, at this speed the FN078 is practically silent.

The final shot in the gallery shows the temp results when fan curves are reset to their default/auto settings, the CPU fan was running at 1550rpm (which was quite loud), but the CPU temp dropped to 45C under full stress load.

I'm sure you could try it with other 120mm slim fans aswell and find the best one, I can't wait for Noctua to release those 120mm and 140mm slim fans they showed off a while back.

As to the I/O & Power / Reset panel; possibilty of the USB ports in Black (rather than the Blue) & the LEDs in a soft white (I think they are blue right now)...?

Unfortunately Black is not possible as the PCB assembly which includes the USB ports is an off the shelf component and cannot be modified.

In terms of the LED light colours, yes it can look blue in the photos but I think this is just my camera, its actually a white LED.

When choosing coloured corner pieces the light bleeds through the material and takes its colour, so if you have green corners the power LED will appear green as it glows through the material.

But the LZ7 seems to have plenty of airflow with the 140mm intake fan providing positive pressure & the 360 degree venting for the GPU...!

Efficient airflow and low noise was my primary objective for the LZ7. Heat re-circulation is SFF's number 1 enemy, lowering the full potential of high end hardware when used over extended periods of time.

Using a combination of a positive pressure wind tunnel effect and 360 degree direct GPU exhaust ventilation, all of the heat produced inside the LZ7 is pushed straight out the case before it has chance to re-circulate, giving the installed hardware the best chance to maintain high boost/clock speeds at low fan speeds.

A third of the way thru May, where is the Big Announcement that was coming in April...?!?

I know, I can only apologise. The case design is complete, I am just waiting for a final confirmation on something before I can make the announcement and kick off production to get the ball rolling again. I am just as frustrated as you guys as I want to get this moving, hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

Might this be an option from the third party vendor I have seen elsewhere in the thread that one can order panels from...? Might that same vendor also do powdercoating...? Matte Black, of course...

Or, of course, an option to order powdercoated aluminium panels as an option to the acrylic ones directly from you...?

I have no plans for metal panels at the moment, perhaps down the line it will be something to look into. I want to concentrate on making a success of the current design first.