Production Lazer3D - LZ XTD - Alternative Designs

Draughtsman

Chassis Packer
Oct 23, 2017
Is the front panel extension kit going to be added to the overclockers site for buyers in the uk, as I'm considering the XTD upgrade together with the extended panel.

Thanks Geoff.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Is the front panel extension kit going to be added to the overclockers site for buyers in the uk, as I'm considering the XTD upgrade together with the extended panel.

Thanks Geoff.
Hi Geoff, I don't think it will be at this point, but you can order both the XTD Upgrade Kit and the Front Expansion Kit direct from our website even if you are based in the UK, a small discount is applied to your basket when ordering both at the same time.

Draughtsman

Chassis Packer
Oct 23, 2017
Thanks for the update on UK availability, sounds good.
I've now been looking at the ASUS DUAL RTX 3060 Ti 08G MINI https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-RTX3060TI-O8G-MINI/
This is only 200mm lg & is within 2mm of fitting with the standard LZ7 case with the extended front panel. I may be able to get this to work by adding some spacer washers perhaps. Not sure when it's going to become available generally though, same as all the other 3000 series cards no doubt!

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Thanks for the update on UK availability, sounds good.
I've now been looking at the ASUS DUAL RTX 3060 Ti 08G MINI https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-RTX3060TI-O8G-MINI/
This is only 200mm lg & is within 2mm of fitting with the standard LZ7 case with the extended front panel. I may be able to get this to work by adding some spacer washers perhaps. Not sure when it's going to become available generally though, same as all the other 3000 series cards no doubt!
That may be possible to do, although by that point I'm not sure how elegant the front of the case would look with the Expansion kit spaced with washers lol.

There have been some recent announcements of true ITX 3060 cards from NVidia, more information can be found here, including a new version of the infamous AERO ITX from MSI:

Also AMD teased an ITX card in their recent CES presentation, I'm not sure what model it is though:

murda

Efficiency Noob
Dec 31, 2020
Hello, will you consider adding usb-c to the front I/O panel for the LZ7 XTD (I see it's in your LZX-8 prototype)? The case seems to check all of the other boxes for me...

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Hello, will you consider adding usb-c to the front I/O panel for the LZ7 XTD (I see it's in your LZX-8 prototype)? The case seems to check all of the other boxes for me...
I don't think this feature will be making its way to the LZ7 and LZ7 XTD lineup of cases. However the LZX-8 will be getting an extended version / upgrade kit down the line, probably later this year, which will have the same Type-C hub as the LZX-8.

murda

Efficiency Noob
Dec 31, 2020
I don't think this feature will be making its way to the LZ7 and LZ7 XTD lineup of cases. However the LZX-8 will be getting an extended version / upgrade kit down the line, probably later this year, which will have the same Type-C hub as the LZX-8.
OK, good to know. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: K888D

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
I recently upgraded my motherboard to the Aorus X570 an I'm debating a second drive. But the rear M.2 relies on dissipating heat via the a thermal pad to the chassis, which would usuallyvbe metal obviously the base is plastic.
I was wondering if anyone has an what kind of temps have you gotten?
Or would I be best snipping out the rear where the card sits an mounting a heatsink?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I recently upgraded my motherboard to the Aorus X570 an I'm debating a second drive. But the rear M.2 relies on dissipating heat via the a thermal pad to the chassis, which would usuallyvbe metal obviously the base is plastic.
I was wondering if anyone has an what kind of temps have you gotten?
Or would I be best snipping out the rear where the card sits an mounting a heatsink?
With the LZ7 and this case, the bottom edge of the 140mm case fan pushes some air under the motherboard if you set the case fan as an intake (positive pressure). From my very early LZ7 testing I found the M.2 drive temps to be very reasonable when mounted to the underside of the motherboard.

If you can have a small heatsink off your drive a couple of mm thick, it will sit in the airflow from the case fan and I think will provide good cooling.

Here is a link to the full write up and conclusions of the testing:

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
Thanks, I think I have solved it, the Gigabyte board has a metal back plate which bar a small contact run of VRM's with some silicone pads is purely for "show" though who will see it is beyond me. I removed it as well as some other tweaks going from negative to positive air flow and it seems OK so far.

Reactions: K888D