Production Lazer3D HT5 - Low Profile APU Case

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
With the windowed top (or side, if it's on its side) and front strip, I'm actually thinking about some RGB options, but not really sure where to begin. Anyone have any suggestions?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
With the windowed top (or side, if it's on its side) and front strip, I'm actually thinking about some RGB options, but not really sure where to begin. Anyone have any suggestions?

The easiest way to get a nice RGB setup in this case is to select a motherboard with RGB built in, if the motherboard has the RGB under the front edge it lines up nicely with the front panel frosted strip.

Another simple way to add RGB is to select RAM sticks with RGB built in, but bear in mind that these sticks are usually taller and therefore limit your CPU cooler options. For instance the NH-L12S is not compatible with tall RAM.

Reactions: Phuncz

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Possibly the Wraith Spire with the LED fan? Or would that cause turbulence by being too close to the top?

I might be mistaken, but I think the Wraith Spire LED ring is removable? Of that's the case then the fan itself will be positioned a few mm below the top of the cooler and thus turbulence should be reduced.

exe222

Cable Smoosher
Aug 28, 2018
There is a new 200w version coming soon.
This is great news! This should fit in this beautiful case! :)
Do you know a rough time frame from HDPLEX already?

Edit: Response from HDPLEX support:
"200W ACDC will replace 160W ACDC and should be available next month."

The red glow comes from the LED strip attached to the underside of the Gigabyte B350 ITX motherboard, it works really well.
Which stripe would you suggest / did you use? Looks great!
I cannot find RGB stripes that are short enough to fit properly...

Last edited:
Reactions: K888D

exe222

Cable Smoosher
Aug 28, 2018
It's embedded on the underside of the motherboard. It comes with it. Soldered smt leds.

Great, thanks. I just found the original comment I missed. It actually comes with the Gigabyte B350 board. The new B450 revision also ships with a RGB LED stripe.

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Finally finished my personal work pc in the ht5. Absolutely love this case. If you want to use the l12s with a pico better be sure to order the 150 as the pico 160 won’t fit under it. It’s an 8700 with a passive 1030 (come on Navi) with 32gb crucial ram and 1tb crucial p1 nvme drive on a gigabyte b360 gsm board. Great temps and dead silent. Looking forward to trying to Cravo as well!

I’ll for sure get some better photos once I get it al situated under my monitor.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
How difficult would it be to mod this so that either 15mm or 25mm fans could be installed next to the dual slot low profile GPU? Assume minimal/nothing would be installed on the other side of the motherboard (either use an external AC/DC power brick or a ultra small Mean Well 200w AC/DC internal power supply attached somewhere with dual sided tape).

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Finally finished my personal work pc in the ht5. Absolutely love this case. If you want to use the l12s with a pico better be sure to order the 150 as the pico 160 won’t fit under it. It’s an 8700 with a passive 1030 (come on Navi) with 32gb crucial ram and 1tb crucial p1 nvme drive on a gigabyte b360 gsm board. Great temps and dead silent. Looking forward to trying to Cravo as well!

I’ll for sure get some better photos once I get it al situated under my monitor.
Do you think the heatsink on your Gigabyte GT 1030 passive is compatible with the Gigabyte 1050ti low profile PCB?

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
How difficult would it be to mod this so that either 15mm or 25mm fans could be installed next to the dual slot low profile GPU? Assume minimal/nothing would be installed on the other side of the motherboard (either use an external AC/DC power brick or a ultra small Mean Well 200w AC/DC internal power supply attached somewhere with dual sided tape).

Whip the shroud and fan off your 1050ti and I reckon twin 25mm fans will fit in there without much hassle.
Something like Silent Wings 80mm PWM would be more than up to the job and stay quiet!

Reactions: Biowarejak

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com

I think you could get similar results by creating a negative pressure within the case to encourage airflow to enter the case through the GPU side vents, like this:

Or if you have space for it, use something like the Noctua NH-L12S CPU cooler with the 120mm fan blowing upward and therefore exhausting directly out the top vent, further increasing the negative pressure on the GPU side:

Whip the shroud and fan off your 1050ti and I reckon twin 25mm fans will fit in there without much hassle.
Something like Silent Wings 80mm PWM would be more than up to the job and stay quiet!

The difficulty with mounting fans on the GPU side (when using a GPU) is that the GPU blocks the slots for the fan mounting panel. Unless you could find a way to mount them to the actual GPU itself rather than the case.

Do you think the heatsink on your Gigabyte GT 1030 passive is compatible with the Gigabyte 1050ti low profile PCB?

I have no idea about this sorry, that sounds like some serious modding for swapping low profile heat sinks.

It sounds like your trying passively cool a GTX 1050 Ti, or use 80mm fans for cooling it?

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
The difficulty with mounting fans on the GPU side (when using a GPU) is that the GPU blocks the slots for the fan mounting panel. Unless you could find a way to mount them to the actual GPU itself rather than the case.

Yep, that would involve not using the panel and direct mounting to the case side using double sided 3m tape or such like. Yes it would incur a small turbulence cost but with low rpm 80mm fans being used to cool a 1050ti LP with the fan and shroud removed it would be negligible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015XPV3SO/?tag=theminutiae-20

Just cut small strips of that and place them on the corners of the fans and you could pad them away from the case side and reduce any turbulence.

Last edited:
Reactions: K888D

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I think you could get similar results by creating a negative pressure within the case to encourage airflow to enter the case through the GPU side vents, like this:

Or if you have space for it, use something like the Noctua NH-L12S CPU cooler with the 120mm fan blowing upward and therefore exhausting directly out the top vent, further increasing the negative pressure on the GPU side:

I have no idea about this sorry, that sounds like some serious modding for swapping low profile heat sinks.

It sounds like your trying passively cool a GTX 1050 Ti, or use 80mm fans for cooling it?

Thanks for the info - as you mentioned I'm trying to use two 80mm fans to cool the GTX 1050ti instead of the very inefficient loud fan that came with it. I'm currently doing this in a Realan Ei7 case, but I really like the HT5:

Yep, that would involve not using the panel and direct mounting to the case side using double sided 3m tape or such like. Yes it would incur a small turbulence cost but with low rpm 80mm fans being used to cool a 1050ti LP with the fan and shroud removed it would be negligible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015XPV3SO/?tag=theminutiae-20

Just cut small strips of that and place them on the corners of the fans and you could pad them away from the case side and reduce any turbulence.

Pretty much what I'm thinking, but I'm not sure there is physically room for the fans to fit between the heatsink of the GPU and the side of the case. It's what I'm doing right now and it works OK, certainly better than the tiny built in fan.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
@K888D could you provide a dimension from the center line of the PCIe slot to the inside edge of the case? I think I could use that to determine if I could fit in a fan with the exactly graphics card model I've got.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
There is this image that shows the distance from the edge of the motherboard:

You have 40mm of space to play with from the edge of the motherboard.