Prototype KMPKT Dynamo DC-12V

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yes that is correct. I really should have thought about sourcing my own photos...

As for instructions, @QinX is currently preparing a bunch of 3D models for me to use in a video. Once those are prepared, I plan to have @Josh | NFC put them together along with a live Dynamo Duo set to make a nifty NFC x KMPKT video for SFFLab. The truth is that I have been working about 50 hours a week at my primary job over the past two months in order to feed money to the hungry monster that is the KMPKT development pipeline (2 Industrial Designers, a PhD-level Thermal Design Engineer and three Electrical Engineers don't come cheap apparently). As such, I unfortunately had time to get documentation completed for the Dynamo DC power supplies.

Originally the plan was to release the entire line in January with matching Dynamo Mini in Gunmetal in stock which would have given me time to get the documentation for the product ready. As fate would have it, SFFLab launched sooner and more quickly than I'd anticipated (not complaining), so I didn't have all my ducks in a row. Apologies to all in the community for the confusion as to exact function, but hopefully once the video hits and I officially launch my PSUs across all channels things will become much more clear.

Thanks again for your support of my products,

Craig / KMPKT

ChairmanDev

Trash Compacter
Jul 11, 2017
That sounds great. No need to apologize, I can’t imagine what the process is like to bring this kind of project to life. I haven’t been this interested in a piece of computer hardware in a while.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Okay so the pinout for the Dynamo 360 and Mini are as follows:

Seeing as there is a 4 pin and 8 pin EPS, I would suggest hooking the Dynamo Mini up to the 24 pin and 4 pin while using one of the Dynamo 360's 8 pin plugs to run power to the 8 pin EPS. The other 8 pin can be used as an 8 + 8 with the included cables. If you have qualms about the system's ability to handle this, then you could run Dynamo 360 > Dynamo 360 > Dynamo Mini and cover everything and then some. If you combined this with the Eurocom 780 there would be plenty of power for all.

As a disclaimer I haven't actually tried this and don't plan to purchase the hardware to try it. The two units have the sync function and imagine it would eliminate any power timing issues on boot but the only way to know for sure is to try it. I hope this helps,

KMPKT

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
To answer your second question, yes the largest readily available PSU on the market is the Dell which peaks at 330W max. My solution to this problem will be a third product I am calling the KMPKT Merge. The Merge will be a much beefier version of this load sharing device you can find on Mini Box.

What the Merge will do is allow you to put two compatible AC-DC power supplies together to form a single power supply. If you want to run the Dynamo and Dynamo mini at spec, you can simply use the Merge on one HD Plex 160W AC-DC combined with one HD Plex 300W AC-DC. If you want to push the limits a bit (at your own peril), you can pair two HD Plex 300W AC-DC units. Along the same lines, if you want to keep your enclosure small, you can use the Merge to add together a pair of Dell 330W bricks for an absolutely beastly 660W of power. Additionally you can use a 160W AC-DC with the Dynamo Mini and a 300W with the Dynamo as they can sync power on/of through a special header which eliminates the need for the Merge altogether (basically they act as two discrete systems coordinating through a special set of headers.
Is the Merge still in development? If so, do you have an expected release date? What I have planned will work without it, but it would work better with the Merge.
Here's a first look at the commercial release of the Dynamo 360:

You may want to put this picture on the SFF Lab product page. I had forgotten that the PCB was black and only remembered while re-reading the thread. Also adding a link to this thread from the product page would probably be helpful.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
s the Merge still in development? If so, do you have an expected release date? What I have planned will work without it, but it would work better with the Merge.

The merge is technically in the works, but I may or may not be baking it into a new AC-DC solution instead : )

You may want to put this picture on the SFF Lab product page. I had forgotten that the PCB was black and only remembered while re-reading the thread. Also adding a link to this thread from the product page would probably be helpful.

Will double check this. Thanks for the catch!

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I can't wait to see what that is. I think Josh teased it too in his S4M video.

What I would love to see is some way to combine 2 300W HDPlex AC-DCs into some kind of an external casing/cabling, so you can treat it as a power brick. But I'm guessing @Kmpkt is talking about an internal solution.

Reactions: Biowarejak