Prototype KMPKT Dynamo DC-12V

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Cheers mate! Sad but completely understandable!

Would it be possible to, perhaps with the upcoming Dynamo Merger, combine Dynamo Mini + Dynamo 360 with an internal HDPLEX 300W AC-DC and an external Dell 300W brick? That way I can choose for each GPU generation to either go big and get a GTX XX80 but will require external brick connected, or go smaller and externally brickless but only have support for say GTX XX60? :)

If I understood the meaning and purpose of the Merger correctly that is :)
My understanding of the merger unit is that it should allow you to use dual HDPlex internal AC/DC adapters at the same time. Not impossible to use an external brick with it though, just need it have a compatible electrical output. Using the 300 watt AC/DC internally in the new S4M is still an issue. Josh explains why in his latest video going over its features. :) That said, if you get creative it could maybe work! Just be safe.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
My understanding of the merger unit is that it should allow you to use dual HDPlex internal AC/DC adapters at the same time. Not impossible to use an external brick with it though, just need it have a compatible electrical output. Using the 300 watt AC/DC internally in the new S4M is still an issue. Josh explains why in his latest video going over its features. :) That said, if you get creative it could maybe work! Just be safe.

Yes, with the regular HDPLEX 300W AC-DC, but I thought I read somewhere that Dynamo was working on a smaller variant? Maybe I misread :(

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The one thing you can do is put a 160W AC-DC internally to power the motherboard through the Dynamo Mini and then sync it to the Dynamo 360 being run from an external brick to act as dedicated power for the GPU. If it's something like a 1080 Ti you could use a Dell 330 to provide 8 pin power and another 35-75 would come from the PCIe slot to provide close to 400W to your GPU.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
The one thing you can do is put a 160W AC-DC internally to power the motherboard through the Dynamo Mini and then sync it to the Dynamo 360 being run from an external brick to act as dedicated power for the GPU. If it's something like a 1080 Ti you could use a Dell 330 to provide 8 pin power and another 35-75 would come from the PCIe slot to provide close to 400W to your GPU.
Are you saying... that we can have a working PC using onboard gpu by only connecting power to the internal brick, but when we want (or able) to - connect the external brick then we'll have our dedicated gpu for more power?

Is... is that possible? How would a power hungry gpu behaves when provided power through pcie slot but not through gpu molex?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Are you saying... that we can have a working PC using onboard gpu by only connecting power to the internal brick, but when we want (or able) to - connect the external brick then we'll have our dedicated gpu for more power?

Is... is that possible? How would a power hungry gpu behaves when provided power through pcie slot but not through gpu molex?
No I don't think he means that you can leave the underpowered gpu device in the slot. You would get a boot error.

Reactions: Choidebu

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm playing with booting a system without 6pin/8pin power to the GPU, but so far only getting the error message. What it does however mean is that you can take a much smaller brick with you (ie. Razer 165W), or have the capacity to really push your system with a dedicated 330W brick for you GPU.

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016

Very cool!
I was looking at sfflab.com and it says both Dynamo's are "coming soon". Any estimation on when?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The Dynamo Mini is available already but I am waiting on a a bit of red tape before we can actually put it up for sale. If you really want one of these they are available from HDPlex in place of the 160W DC-ATX right now (they are out of stock of their own units) and will come with a black heatsink. I am receiving the Dynamo 360 final prototype this week and barring any issues it will be in warehouse and available within about two weeks.

iaomw

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017

I think it's possible to put 2 HDPLEX 160W power brick inside Skyreach 4 MINI. One on the top of GPU, one on the side of GPU(17cm).
So it could be a 320W brickless S4 mini. That's already enough for 65W i7 + GTX1070 mini.
Not 100% sure about the size. If you can test, please tell me.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
I think it's possible to put 2 HDPLEX 160W power brick inside Skyreach 4 MINI. One on the top of GPU, one on the side of GPU(17cm).
So it could be a 320W brickless S4 mini. That's already enough for 65W i7 + GTX1070 mini.
Not 100% sure about the size. If you can test, please tell me.
I think from Josh's overview of the S4M, the 160W AC-DC at the top of the GPU you're referring to can only fit if the GPU's height doesn't extend past the flange on the bracket. The only non overheight 1070 out now is the Galax 1070 mini, but its length is over 170mm last I remember.

Reactions: Biowarejak

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
is the dynamo mini the exact same as the hdplex 160 pico style? meaning they only take 19v input while the pico 160 takes 12v?

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
is the dynamo mini the exact same as the hdplex 160 pico style? meaning they only take 19v input while the pico 160 takes 12v?

Yes it is. They are the same unit save for the heatsink and power in cable terminal. I worked with HDPlex to develop the unit as a solution that meets both of our needs.

Reactions: Biowarejak

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
what we need is an hdplex 300w ac-dc in 12v format and a lil bit smaller so it can interface with gurys arch demon at 12v!

Last edited:

Dubnobass

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2017
Ordered my dynamo 360. So with this unit, the 160 and a Dell 330w power brick, I should be good to power my 1080ti, 1600x and Asrock b350? Just making sure I am good when the case and 360 show up.

Dubnobass

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2017
What is wrong with a 1600x. I quit using amd after thunderbird but since Ryzen decided to come back. Tired of Intel constantly switching to a new socket.