Prototype KMPKT Dynamo DC-12V

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
with the new merge thing you are making, would it be possible to daisy chain a 300w hdplex ac-dc and a 160?

Yeah it would. That being said you don't actually need to merge to use those two with my system.

Ordered my dynamo 360. So with this unit, the 160 and a Dell 330w power brick, I should be good to power my 1080ti, 1600x and Asrock b350? Just making sure I am good when the case and 360 show up.

By the 160 I presume you mean the Dynamo Mini/HDPlex 160W DC-ATX? If so then yes you should be able to run those. The Dell brick MIGHT be a bit tight on the wattage with a 1080 Ti, but if that is the case you should be able to run the 330 with the 360 and add a second power AC-DC unit (160W AC-DC internal if you're building in the S4M) and have close to 500W. Which case you building in?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hmmm, will the Dynamo Mini 200 be available with a gunmetal heatsink? Just curious :)

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah it will. There are only a handful of the black units left (25ish) and I will be getting a restock in January. The next ones will have the matching gunmetal heatsink and black PCB like you will see on the Dynamo 360.

Dubnobass

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2017
Glad you like. Let me know if you have any questions.

Well it came with 400 different cables. My plan is to power a 1600x and a 1080 off of the 200 and 360 with a Dell 330w PSU. Just want to be sure it' all plugged in properly.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yep no worries. So plug your 7.4mm barrel connector into DC-IN and your Dynamo Mini into DC-OUT. PCIE from Dynamo 360 to your GPU and then SATA from your choice of Dynamo 360 or Dynamo Mini for SATA stuff. EPS 8 pin to motherboard from the Dynamo Mini.

The 2 pin sync cable may or may not be necessary. I would try starting up the PC without it first and once booted, do a Windows shutdown. If it shuts down fully (ie. GPU and CPU cooler fans don't stay running after the board and CPU have powered down then you can skip the use of the sync cable.

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Yep no worries. So plug your 7.4mm barrel connector into DC-IN and your Dynamo Mini into DC-OUT. PCIE from Dynamo 360 to your GPU and then SATA from your choice of Dynamo 360 or Dynamo Mini for SATA stuff. EPS 8 pin to motherboard from the Dynamo Mini.

The 2 pin sync cable may or may not be necessary. I would try starting up the PC without it first and once booted, do a Windows shutdown. If it shuts down fully (ie. GPU and CPU cooler fans don't stay running after the board and CPU have powered down then you can skip the use of the sync cable.

If the fans stay on, is it just to remove the power cord from the power brick?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So basically some motherboards have power state settings that don't require the sync cable, but I don't know which ones. If you can do boot up and down without fan power to CPU and GPU staying on then you don't need the sync cable. If you do have continued fan power to the system after shutdown, then you need to unplug the unit to power down your fans, plug in the sync cable and re-attempt. If it doesn't work the first time it means the polarity on one end of the sync cable is reversed which means the functionality won't be enabled. In this situation, power your system down and UNPLUG, FLIP AND PLUG BACK IN ONLY ONE END OF THE SYNC CABLE. If it doesn't work after this drop me a line, but given the design of the unit this should never be an issue.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Tanax

chenhaus

Efficiency Noob
Dec 14, 2017
Combo arrived yesterday for me too! Woohoo!

The little jumper on the 360 was loose in the package. Do you have any guidance for that pin setting?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The jumper in the package should be a spare and you should have a jumper installed already on two of the four pins sitting between the DC-IN and DC-OUT. Please confirm as you do not want two jumpers on the unit, only one. I don't think it will fry the unit to have both jumpers on, but let's not fund out!

chenhaus

Efficiency Noob
Dec 14, 2017
Ah, it must have slipped off in transit. All four pins are exposed between DC-IN and DC-OUT.

Also, is there an easy way to connect the 6-pin DC-OUT of the D360 to the 4-pin female ATX pigtail on the D160? I've got it going through barrel connectors right now. Will probably make a cable, but wanted to check that I wasn't missing a 6-pin to 4-pin male-to-male cable.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
There should be a 4 pin to 4 pin female Molex cable with the 160W. Just plug it into the 6 pin connector on the Dynamo 360 and it will work. I am work at my clinic right now and can't remember which two jumper pins do always on and which two do sync mode off the top of my head. The jumpers pair vertically, so try the jumper on the two closest to DC out first. If you get the GPU fans spinning up when power is going into the Dynamo 360 then unplug from the wall and move the jumpers to the other two pins. Should work beautifully. Let me know if you have any further issues.

chenhaus

Efficiency Noob
Dec 14, 2017
Awesome, will try that. Thanks for the quick support and for putting this all together!

Last edited:

ChairmanDev

Trash Compacter
Jul 11, 2017
The pictures on SFFLAB seem to show the jumper on the two pins closest to DC-IN.

Also, are there any plans for documentation/manual? Would be nice to have a concise compatibility list/guide all in one place.