Prototype KMPKT Dynamo DC-12V

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If this works out (currently in the early stages of board and enclosure design), you would use the unit with a Dynamo Duo (Dynamo 360 + Dynamo Mini [160W]) for a 520W rated unit that can really handle just north of 550 if needed.

Edward Hay

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2016
If this works out (currently in the early stages of board and enclosure design), you would use the unit with a Dynamo Duo (Dynamo 360 + Dynamo Mini [160W]) for a 520W rated unit that can really handle just north of 550 if needed.
Holy Shit! Sounds brilliant!
Might be too soon, but what kind of pricerange would it be targeted at? :p

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Well the Bel 180W unit I'm basing my design off is about 100 USD while the Meanwell EPP-200-24 is like 30 USD. For this to be viable I'd like them to be max 50-60 USD per 200W brick. think beyond that they would be completely out of reach for the bulk of users. My plan is to have a larger footprint (2.25" x 4.5" x 0.75") than the Bel 180 (2" x 4" x 0.75") in order to have more low profile and cheaper parallelized components.

Last edited:

WindySin

Cable Smoosher
Feb 9, 2018
Hi,

First time poster so my apologies in advance if this is obvious: what is the best way to connect the 8-pin PCIE out on the D360 to a 6-pin GTX 1060 mini? Also, my D160 appears to have lost a jumper in transit, similar to an earlier poster. Could i confirm that a jumper should be on the PS_ON spot?

Thanks,

Also, loving the combo right now. Looks very well built. Now, if I could just get an S4M mount bracket...

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Hi,

First time poster so my apologies in advance if this is obvious: what is the best way to connect the 8-pin PCIE out on the D360 to a 6-pin GTX 1060 mini?
The connector for pcie power is made to fit 6 or 8 pin. Look carefully; 2 pin is floating and can slot in and out. Contrast this with eps/motherboard cpu power connector, it's also 8 pin but consists of two 4 pin, also can slot in and out of each other.

WindySin

Cable Smoosher
Feb 9, 2018
The connector for pcie power is made to fit 6 or 8 pin. Look carefully; 2 pin is floating and can slot in and out. Contrast this with eps/motherboard cpu power connector, it's also 8 pin but consists of two 4 pin, also can slot in and out of each other.

Ah, found it. 8-pin to 2 x 6+2 pin connectors?

Also, any advice on whether the PS_ON jumper on the D160 should be on? Mine wasn't when i received it. I'm runnin a Dynamo duo setup if that helps.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Was it 2 x 6+2? Sorry I forgot. But yes that must be it. Regarding PS_ON, no, I think you only need the sync cable.

WindySin

Cable Smoosher
Feb 9, 2018

That'd be this ol' chestnut, I'm presuming.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
There is no jumper for the Dynamo Mini (160W). The only jumper used is on the Dynamo 360 and it should be pre-installed on the two pins closest to DC-OUT.

With respect to the PCIe connector, just plug the solid 8 pin end into the Dynamo 360 and either one of the 6 pin plugs into your GPU (just leave the spare +2 pin Minifit connector floating free).

WindySin

Cable Smoosher
Feb 9, 2018
There is no jumper for the Dynamo Mini (160W). The only jumper used is on the Dynamo 360 and it should be pre-installed on the two pins closest to DC-OUT.

With respect to the PCIe connector, just plug the solid 8 pin end into the Dynamo 360 and either one of the 6 pin plugs into your GPU (just leave the spare +2 pin Minifit connector floating free).

Cheers, I got there in the end and the whole thing's built now. Thanks for the help. Also as it is I've got PPS sleeving in contact on all sides of the D360. Will that be a problem?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It's kind of a hidden feature, but if you swap the jumper to the other pair of pins it works in an always-on state. I believe this had to do with possible additional uses as an EGPU solution and was designed in addition to my specification in case HDPlex wants to reuse the board design for something else. If you can think of a use for it, go nuts!

Also as it is I've got PPS sleeving in contact on all sides of the D360. Will that be a problem?

Sleeving is non-conductive so contact with components on the board isn't an issue. As far as heat goes, the bulk of the heat will be coming from the heatsink in the middle which I presume the sleeving is not contacting or smothering (ie. not an issue).

Reactions: Choidebu

WindySin

Cable Smoosher
Feb 9, 2018
Sleeving is non-conductive so contact with components on the board isn't an issue. As far as heat goes, the bulk of the heat will be coming from the heatsink in the middle which I presume the sleeving is not contacting or smothering (ie. not an issue).

Thanks, I'd read that but just wanted to be sure. At the moment there's probably not great airflow over the heatsink because of how much cabling there is, I had thought the back heatsink would be able to use the front panel as a radiator since it's attached to it. Might try do something about that then.

Again, I appreciate the advice.