Prototype KMPKT Dynamo DC-12V

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
There is no merger unit yet. You can still run dual AC-DC, but because of the limitations of the Dynamo mini it will function as 200 + 300W. Larry is planning to do one eventually, but he's working on something else pretty major at this point at it is taking all of his resources and development time.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hoping before month's end. They were unfortunately manufactured on the wrong PCB colour and had to go back to be re-engineered adding to the wait time. Apologies for this, but I really want the units to be perfect.

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2017
Hoping before month's end. They were unfortunately manufactured on the wrong PCB colour and had to go back to be re-engineered adding to the wait time. Apologies for this, but I really want the units to be perfect.
For sure. It's a cool concept. You gonna ever work on making custom bricks too I feel like this is where are these little PSU's are lacking. Custom bricks.

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2017
Ideally I'd like to see someone start making good AC/DC adapters that are not passively cooled and well vented. Thermals is the SFF bottle neck in everything including external power. But I don't think it has to be. I also don't think it should be a 400-500.00 price tag like the eurocom. Maybe 150.00 to 200.00

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
How are your PSU'S gonna be powered for sustained amount of time?

I'm not sure I'm entirely sure what you mean. The system is meant to be powered by one or two bricks depending on how you wire it. The highest dual brick configuration you can manage would be with a 200+ Watt brick attached to the Dynamo Mini and then a 300+ Watt brick attached to the Dynamo. Hypothetically with a pair of HDPlex 300W AC-DC units you can run the combo at 560W for as long as you'd like provided overheating doesn't become an issue.

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2017
I'm not sure I'm entirely sure what you mean. The system is meant to be powered by one or two bricks depending on how you wire it. The highest dual brick configuration you can manage would be with a 200+ Watt brick attached to the Dynamo Mini and then a 300+ Watt brick attached to the Dynamo. Hypothetically with a pair of HDPlex 300W AC-DC units you can run the combo at 560W for as long as you'd like provided overheating doesn't become an issue.
Oh ok I didn't know this was intended for dual brick. Makes sense then. Thanks

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
They can also chain together off a single brick like the Eurocom if you prefer. There is just a pretty slim selection of bricks or AC-DC power supplies over 350W is all.

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2017
They can also chain together off a single brick like the Eurocom if you prefer. There is just a pretty slim selection of bricks or AC-DC power supplies over 350W is all.
Yea I'd go the eurocom route if it was 200-300 cheaper.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I actually think if I can make a merging device to put the power from two HDPlex AC-DC 300W into a single connector it will be the best solution. While it would only allow for a rated wattage of 600W, with OCP it could handle spikes up to 800W and it would occupy less than half the volume of the Eurocom.

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2017
I actually think if I can make a merging device to put the power from two HDPlex AC-DC 300W into a single connector it will be the best solution. While it would only allow for a rated wattage of 600W, with OCP it could handle spikes up to 800W and it would occupy less than half the volume of the Eurocom.
That would be cool. Id make some sort of external enclosure for the 300w hdplex.

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
So if running a Dynamo Mini and a Dynamo, paired with the HDPLEX 300W AC-DC, like you displayed on page 6 in this thread, the system will be rated for 300W, or what? What kind of GPU+CPU combination will that support?

Julio Espinosa

Caliper Novice
Jul 17, 2017
Have you think about an 500W+ AC-DC Adapter to be used with your Dynamo/HDPlex 400w totally passively cooled?
Maybe long enough to fit the S4 MINI or the Dan A4 SFX?

I don't know, but 500W would seem enough for a 8700K and a GTX 1080 Ti.
Just making an idea.

The only AC-DC viable options are, Dell's, HD-Plex's and Eurocom's

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
We can hope it's coming in few years' time...

1. Size - those eurocoms are BIG.
2. Heat dissipation and proper shielding - at the moment active cooling is definitely needed for >300W.

I too really want to know what is holding back the advancement in this area. I went to college a decade ago learning electronics, so I wonder what switching powers supplies needs to mitigate these issues. I mean, TFX is quite small already. Why bricks are any different?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So if running a Dynamo Mini and a Dynamo, paired with the HDPLEX 300W AC-DC, like you displayed on page 6 in this thread, the system will be rated for 300W, or what? What kind of GPU+CPU combination will that support?

The system's wattage would be determined by the AC-DC supply. It is worth mentioning that could could hook up one HDPlex AC-DC to the Dynamo Mini and another to the Dynamo 360 and sync them with the included cable and run a 500W+ setup (albeit with a larger space required for the AC-DC units)

Have you think about an 500W+ AC-DC Adapter to be used with your Dynamo/HDPlex 400w totally passively cooled?

I have been trying to get someone to bite on this for ages. I've approached no less than six companies about GaN based AC-DC supplies with little to no results. I have also approached Seasonic about doing something and even spoke with them in person at Computex with no results. I think the big stumbling block on the AC-DC side is that certifications for safety are VERY expensive. DC-DC on the other hand is pretty cheap as it only cost me like 1500 bucks to certify the Dynamo 360.

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
The system's wattage would be determined by the AC-DC supply. It is worth mentioning that could could hook up one HDPlex AC-DC to the Dynamo Mini and another to the Dynamo 360 and sync them with the included cable and run a 500W+ setup (albeit with a larger space required for the AC-DC units).

Thank you for clarifying!
I'm planning on getting the NFC Skyreach 4 Mini. I have no chance in hell of fitting 2x300W AC-DC units + Dynamo + Dynamo Mini in there, am I? Not with enough space to fit a GPU to actually take advantage of it? :D

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Thank you for clarifying!
I'm planning on getting the NFC Skyreach 4 Mini. I have no chance in hell of fitting 2x300W AC-DC units + Dynamo + Dynamo Mini in there, am I? Not with enough space to fit a GPU to actually take advantage of it? :D
I hate to say it, but no. Not unless you get very creative and don't mind bare AC/DC circuitry. :)

Reactions: Tanax

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
I hate to say it, but no. Not unless you get very creative and don't mind bare AC/DC circuitry. :)

Cheers mate! Sad but completely understandable!

Would it be possible to, perhaps with the upcoming Dynamo Merger, combine Dynamo Mini + Dynamo 360 with an internal HDPLEX 300W AC-DC and an external Dell 300W brick? That way I can choose for each GPU generation to either go big and get a GTX XX80 but will require external brick connected, or go smaller and externally brickless but only have support for say GTX XX60? :)

If I understood the meaning and purpose of the Merger correctly that is :)