Is my build enough to run 4 Windows 10 virtual machines smoothly?

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Hello. :)

When I first bought all my parts I wasn't planning to run any virtual machine, but now, It's needed.

All my parts are still sealed, but I'm not on the US, so I can't return them.

Do you think the following build is enough to run the virtual machines or should I try to sell it to migrate to AMD (2700x or next gen)?
  • Z370N.
  • i7-8700K.
  • 16GB (2x8GB) 3200mhz CL16.
  • 970 Evo 500GB M2.
I understand it would be better to have more ram, but for now, I can just have 16GB.

Each virtual machine will be running:
  • Windows 10.
  • 2 Java applications (1GB of memory together).
Thank you for your help and attention.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Why vms if they're just running java apps? And why on windows? It'd be way more efficient to run containers with docker instead and use a linux image (preferably alpine because of it's diminutive size).

You also didn't say if that's all the machine will be doing or if it needs to also work as a desktop, and how much load you expect from those java apps.
Regardless though, an 8700k should be more than enough for just 4 single core vms running light java apps.

blog post on choosing a docker image to host java apps:
https://medium.com/@hudsonmendes/do...icroservices-on-linux-and-windows-c459ec0c238

MODERATOR EDIT: 3 posts merged. Please use the edit button.

Last edited by a moderator:

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
No problems there. https://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=342908&p=3009145&viewfull=1#post3009145 even 1GB and a slow Atom CPU is enough for Windows 10. On those machines it's not unlikely slow I/O is more of a headache than RAM especially with a single app but since you have a 970... You are overthinking this. :) If you wanted to run 16 VMs then we would need to start thinking about overcommit and other tricks but seriously, a 8700K and a 970 for four VMs? No worries.

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Hello! :)

Thank you for your response and for the link.

Why vms if they're just running java apps? And why on windows? It'd be way more efficient to run containers with docker instead and use a linux image (preferably alpine because of it's diminutive size).

It's because the developers were emphatic in saying that it only works on Windows.

I haven't tried on linux, though.

I might try to run it on GCP so I can know If It will.

Do you know If It's possible to run both Java applications simultaneously in the same container (because both applications will interact with each other)?

(I'm asking this because as far as I know, It's not, but I'm new in this area).

You also didn't say if that's all the machine will be doing or if it needs to also work as a desktop, and how much load you expect from those java apps.
Regardless though, an 8700k should be more than enough for just 4 single core vms running light java apps.
It should work as a desktop as well.

I don't expect much load from the java applications, they will consume 1GB in a maximum.

Thank you for your help and attention.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Have a nice time. :)

No problems there. https://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=342908&p=3009145&viewfull=1#post3009145 even 1GB and a slow Atom CPU is enough for Windows 10. On those machines it's not unlikely slow I/O is more of a headache than RAM especially with a single app but since you have a 970... You are overthinking this. :) If you wanted to run 16 VMs then we would need to start thinking about overcommit and other tricks but seriously, a 8700K and a 970 for four VMs? No worries.
Hello, thank you for your response! :)

That's good to hear, I think It's worth to try instead of trying to selling the parts.

Have a nice time! :)

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
if you need multiple java apps running on the same system in docker you'd need to make a script that runs and manages them both since docker is intended to only run one thing per container (so the script would be that one thing and it would run each java app). But a VM might be better in that situation.