Dan Case v2 build in a first-timer's perspective. i7-8700K + GTX 1070 Ti

IceIceBear

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
Hi folks,

Being a first-timer in PC building, here are some of my personal thoughts.

I have decided to lay my hands on the Dan Case A4SFX v2, though I know that building into a mini ITX case could be quite overwhelming for a first-timer. However, the slick and minimalistic look of the Dan case is just really attractive and I'm personally impressed by the logical arrangement of standard components in such a tiny case. For the final assembly, I put on the standard metal side panel at the GPU side for better intake of air, while using the window kit at the CPU side to show off the internals. There are plenty of exhaust holes on the top of the case for effective cooling.

For the motherboard, I went with the Ausu ROG Strix Z370-i, a fantastic board with dual M.2 slots, great storage expansion, nice build quality and massive heat sinks. The only complain I have is that I hope the WiFi antenna could be screwed onto the board directly.

After doing some research, I decided to choose I7-8700K as my processor, pairs with a mainstream Cryorig C7 CPU Cooler. Yes, I understood that K model has higher TDP of 95W than the non-K model in the line-up, which may cause some problems in my thermal management. However, I also have learned that by doing some tweaks to my CPU could help me to better cool this CPU even under load, such as undervolting. I wish I could do delidding, but it might be a bit risky for a beginner like me. The K model would give more flexibility in the future event of possible overclocking. Although Cryorig C7 runs loud under load indeed, I personally felt that the noise level is bearable. However, for sure it looks much better than its main competitor Noctua L9i. To further improve the temperature, I chose the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut as my thermal paste, I think the Conductonaut might be a better option, but I'm just a little uncertain to work with liquid metal.

Next, I chose 16GB of ADATA XPG Spectrix 3200 DDR4 Ram, which comes with Aura Sync to gave my build a bit more RGB essence. For storage, I chose Samsung 960 Evo 256GB as my boot drive and Western Digital Black 512 M.2 as my randomly accessed storage drive. Nothing too fancy, just try to cut down the cables in the build. May consider adding a 2TB 2.5'' HDD into the build later for file archives.

Due to the recent rise in Crypto Currency, the price for GPU is just insane. The Palit GTX 1070 Ti Dual shares quite some similarity in appearance with PNY. Palit might be a rarely listed brand, but I can't say no to such a reasonable price. Ultimately, it's still a GTX 1070 Ti, isn't it? Anyway, I may switch to GTX 2000 series once it is released.

The PSU in my build is the Cosair SF450, a well-known SFF PSU. Although I did receive advice on getting a 600W option, after doing the power calculation on PC Part Picker, I felt that 450W is good enough, since I don't plan for any overclocking as for now.

On a side note, at this point in time, a 92mm Noctua NF-B9 redux 1600 PWM is waiting to be installed to provide a bit more airflow in my case, hopefully, a small drop in temperature as well. In addition, I'm also planning to do cable mod. I only have 3 power cables running through my case, which is very nice. I may add in more pictures after that.

So, this is the entire selection of my first PC. I'm pretty happy with how it turns out. It's only 7.2 litres and 4.3 kilograms. I did undervolting to both CPU and GPU with Intel XTU and MSI Afterburner. The performance is not bad. In Cinebench R15, it scored around 1450 for overall CPU test. In 3DMark Fire strike, it scored around 17500. While 8700K is running at a max of 1.09v, 1070 Ti is running at a max of 0.850v. They clock at 4.3GHz (6 Cores) and 1810 MHz respectively in game (eg. PUBG at 2560x1080), while temperature stabilizes at 74 C and 76 C respectively. Lastly, I ran Aida64 overnight for 12 hours to ensure the stability of the system. I'm intending to borrow a FTX 1080 Founder's edition to see whether there could be temperature improvement.

Alright, maybe my choice might not be the wisest and my build might not be perfect, it is no doubt a fun experience. Hoping my build log could offer some help to others' build:) If there are suuggestions, please offer to me as well.

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
Very cool stuff. I'll also be doing my first SFF build with an DAN Case A4-SFX but more entry level components. Did you run into any issues installing components? Have you had experience messing around with undervolting before? I'm wondering how difficult it is.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Do you mind sharing your bios settings?
What about your undervolted offset value?

Max 74C is really good for that cpu.
Beautiful build .

IceIceBear

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
Do you mind sharing your bios settings?
What about your undervolted offset value?

Max 74C is really good for that cpu.
Beautiful build .

Hi there, I set -0.140v offset in my bios. I also turned off multi-core enhancement, that's the only two tweaks I did in my bios.

IceIceBear

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
Very cool stuff. I'll also be doing my first SFF build with an DAN Case A4-SFX but more entry level components. Did you run into any issues installing components? Have you had experience messing around with undervolting before? I'm wondering how difficult it is.

I think the installation process is fairly straight forward. I have no experience in building pc and undervolting before this:)

IceIceBear

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
UPDATES
I have gotten my hands on a GTX 1080 Founder's Editon and the Noctua NF-B9 redux 1600 PWM has also been installed. As I wanna see how far the thermal performance can go, I also used metal side-panel on both sides now.

The new score now for 3D Mark Fire Strike is 18884, a slight improvement from the non-FE version of GTX 1070 Ti.

I would say the thermal performance improves quite a bit. In Aida64, under CPU stress test, the max core temperature is about 78 C while the overall CPU temperature is only about 66 C as you can see from the screenshot.

In Deus Ex Mankind Divided, running at 2560x1080 Ultra quality with VSync, CPU temperature is hovering around 60 C and GPU temperature is hovering around the mid 60 C. Details can be checked out from the screenshot as well, I have used CPU-Z, GPU-Z and Real Temp for inspection.

Reactions: confusis and lac29

b0bby199

Chassis Packer
Mar 8, 2018
Looks great. Temps are good too. I would like the dancase for another build. Can't believe how small the case is.

IceIceBear

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
Hi guys, just wanna update some pictures over here.

I added in custom cables and an RGB stripe in the GPU chamber

I also got an interesting product, hand carry case for A4! Easier to carry on for boarding.

can put a 60% keyboard+mouse too I think.

Spoonablehippo

Efficiency Noob
Jun 6, 2018
Hi, I've literally just finished a build almost identical to this!
Dan Case A4 V2
ASUS Z370 I
i7 8700K
Cryorig C7 Cooler
16GB Team Delta RGB RAM
ASUS Turbo GTX 1080

But I had a problem with mounting the Cryorig C7 CPU cooler though?!
The back plate wouldn't fit due to the components on the rear of the board, so I didn't use it, just used the nylon washers I found in the box labelled as "For ITX use"
However, I tightened the screws up and it made my motherboard bulge/bend!!!! So had to slacken them off quite a bit. The system works ok though so don't think I've done any permanent damage.

Did you have any issues with this?

Cheers

yaj

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2018
Hi, I've literally just finished a build almost identical to this!

But I had a problem with mounting the Cryorig C7 CPU cooler though?!
The back plate wouldn't fit due to the components on the rear of the board, so I didn't use it, just used the nylon washers I found in the box labelled as "For ITX use"
However, I tightened the screws up and it made my motherboard bulge/bend!!!! So had to slacken them off quite a bit. The system works ok though so don't think I've done any permanent damage.

Did you have any issues with this?

Cheers

I also used the washers to fix the cooler on the board. I tightened the screws carefully so there was no bending. Since the motherboard is bit flexible i think there should be no damage made, especially when the system is working properly.
Greetings

Reactions: Spoonablehippo

Alexander

Average Stuffer
Jun 24, 2018
You pretty much built the exact rig I was intending to build! Glad to know it can be done as I was worried that with the I7-8700K that it would run a bit on the hot side! I'll have a 1080 TI Founders Edition in mine, and I'll probably go with the Noctua NH-L9i as I won't have a window so It won't matter on the looks front.

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
Hi, and thank you so much for this! A really inspiring and carefully considered build. Photos are ace as well, sp I was wondering if you could tell me where excactly you mounted the RGB strip, how long you made it and which brand?

Thanks!

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
I am very curious. I feel like I'm the only one with MSI z370i motherboard while everyone else have the Asus rog z370-i. Would my mobo work well with this case?