Prototype Introducing the Chimera CX2

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
It's already supported, see first post.
Maybe I was thinking of another case. This one only has top and bottom PSU support. I was thinking of the Cerberus X, where they have the PSU mounted at the front top. I guess an ATX psu in that spot would block some of the fan airflow with the chimera.

Reactions: LegendsofMace

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
Maybe I was thinking of another case. This one only has top and bottom PSU support. I was thinking of the Cerberus X, where they have the PSU mounted at the front top. I guess an ATX psu in that spot would block some of the fan airflow with the chimera.
It would also block off the gpus depending on its length

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

You can have 5 GPU slot with a 1000W SFX-L on the bottom of the case. do you really need to put SFX towards the top of the case?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
Really like that G5 design, but I'm still concerned about how functional the top handles are. If they're just decorative, it might be nice to leave them on the bottom as feet, but remove them from the top.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Are you considering a mesh top panel?

Likely not, as CX2 utilizes a front-to-back thermal design that is capable of pretty significant airflow when using large fans at the front. A top mesh would not contribute to that design, and could in certain cases actually detract from it.

Reactions: PBJ

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
I should have been a little clearer—the render of the G5Mini kit looks to me like it has a mesh/partially transparent top panel. I know that goes against the front-to-back cooling philosophy of the original design, which is why I was curious if it was something that was now being floated or perhaps I’m reading into the pictures too much.

Semi-related, I wonder if a side fan intake over a GPU would add any value. Going from the themes of the GamersNexus case reviews, they can have a big impact on GPU thermals. In cases where there’s adequate airflow from the front/bottom, though, the side intake’s effect isn’t as pronounced and maybe the CX2’s front fans would render a side fan superfluous. As someone who runs case fans in the 30-40% range, a side intake panel would interest me. I’m not sure if it’d have larger market appeal, but there definitely aren’t many modern cases that feature air blowing straight into the graphics card

caedo

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 16, 2020
Are those angled handles still in consideration? Or maybe the squared handles could be reversed? Would be cool to be able to rotate the case and route cables out the bottom.

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
Very cool. I like that there’s always an option for two tones in all your case designs. The idea of transforming the look of the case is very interesting to me.

This addition also makes it look like a fancy, expensive case.

Last edited:

cjaay

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 28, 2016
Only just caught up with this case - looks awesome. Existing Cerberus-M owner, but it seems mATX is dead as a dodo moving forward, so this is definitely looking like my next case alongside my more portable DAN.

@PlayfulPhoenix I've seen the IceGiant Thermosiphon mentioned a few times in this thread, but no confirmation one way or the other yet on whether it'll fit. At 165.9mm, is it a possibility with SFX-L? Would all ATX/EATX slots be retained in this scenario?

Reactions: LegendsofMace

thecatar

Efficiency Noob
Apr 30, 2020
I love the G5 handle attachment. Would definitely get it if I got this case.

How would the window side panels work with this updated design?

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
Wait, is this a new design for the case? Because that looks way worse imo, no offense, like a 12-year old Mac Pro clone and the feet/handles add a lot of extra volume. The previous Lian Li / NCase M1 type design looked much cleaner and more premium, it's what drew me to the case. Also I see no front I/O, I hope you didn't put it on top because very few people will put this case on the floor, plus top I/O looks bad imo.

Sorry to be blunt, just honest feedback.

Nah, looks sweet. Has some personality. The original MachOne with the bent outer panels that slid into place rather than retaining clips was boss though, that original MachOne is the best design I've seen on these forums.

Happy to see that this project is still evolving. Looks awesome.

Reactions: thecatar