Prototype Introducing the Chimera CX2

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017

Added XL-ATX motherboard support to the CX2 for to better support upcoming sTRX4 mobos.

Playing with *optional outer panel ideas.

Wait, is this a new design for the case? Because that looks way worse imo, no offense, like a 12-year old Mac Pro clone and the feet/handles add a lot of extra volume. The previous Lian Li / NCase M1 type design looked much cleaner and more premium, it's what drew me to the case. Also I see no front I/O, I hope you didn't put it on top because very few people will put this case on the floor, plus top I/O looks bad imo.

Sorry to be blunt, just honest feedback.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

Added XL-ATX motherboard support to the CX2 for to better support upcoming sTRX4 mobos.

Playing with *optional outer panel ideas.
Nice throwback to the PowerMac G5 ! Hopefully those handles would sturdy enough to be functional.

EvilRade

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 19, 2019
I really like the PowerMac-styled version. However, such design would not look good with window which is a priority for many customers.

nemesis429

Caliper Novice
Aug 10, 2016
Quick Question, Do you reckon if I had an 120mm AIO on the rear and a short GPU I could or you could make a bracket to fit numerous HDDs in the front? If so how many would fit do you reckon (with Fans).

There is so little market for small cases fitting HDDs besides something like the Silverstone CS381 but even that isn't worth £250+. I most probably will go with the Fractal Design R7.

(With original Design, if that design is still progress)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
i notice the core chassis looks to be similar (aside from the front IO, but i'll wait for details on the final physical prototype), so is the optional handle thing still happening? o_o

also what's the new bounding box dimensions of the new handle-stand design? o_o

race2c

Caliper Novice
Dec 5, 2019
Personal feelings as to the PowerMac addition/rendering, I hope those are optional. I personally would not do that. The original render, to me, seems to be a cleaner design. While the throwback is nice, just not my style, and prefer the clean edges/design.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
putting emphasis on an emphasis. I thought it was pretty clear that it was optional. The original aethestic is what we will be getting but they are planning to add parts/accessories that can expand the functions of the original case.

Reactions: PlayfulPhoenix

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
putting emphasis on an emphasis. I thought it was pretty clear that it was optional. The original aethestic is what we will be getting but they are planning to add parts/accessories that can expand the functions of the original case.

We can always be clearer about these things, especially when showing renders of what we're working on ?

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
Is there an option to add an ATX PSU to the top where the SFX PSU sits? so instead of mounting the ATX psu to the side, mount to the top exhausting out.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Wait, is this a new design for the case? Because that looks way worse imo, no offense, like a 12-year old Mac Pro clone and the feet/handles add a lot of extra volume. The previous Lian Li / NCase M1 type design looked much cleaner and more premium, it's what drew me to the case. Also I see no front I/O, I hope you didn't put it on top because very few people will put this case on the floor, plus top I/O looks bad imo.

Sorry to be blunt, just honest feedback.

(With original Design, if that design is still progress)
i notice the core chassis looks to be similar (aside from the front IO, but i'll wait for details on the final physical prototype), so is the optional handle thing still happening? o_o

also what's the new bounding box dimensions of the new handle-stand design? o_o

Personal feelings as to the PowerMac addition/rendering, I hope those are optional. I personally would not do that. The original render, to me, seems to be a cleaner design. While the throwback is nice, just not my style, and prefer the clean edges/design.

As stated, it is optional, the good thing about life is having choices. ?

Mayhem

Cable Smoosher
Jan 29, 2020
Personally I would much prefer the angled versions of the handles, which were shaped more like the older plastic G4/G3 towers ?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016

@fabio, since you are the only one like it, I've updated the design to full G5 for hackintosh builds.
I love both of them!

The feet/handles are a really good additions in this way. This will be a 20L /12/17KG system when built.
(IF sturdy enough - I think in the accessories you need to include some kind of metal reinforcement like in the Cerberus)

At the opposite of @QuantumBraced I think instead most of the people will use it on the floor, like the big CX.
The latest G5 style keep the same footprint of the 1st design and is great!

Still dreaming for the same Apple anodization though! ?

Reactions: lawney

gassydoc

Cable Smoosher
May 1, 2020
Not really a fan of the modular feet - as it just increases the overall footprint/size of the case. I think the whole maximising space efficiency whilst maintaining ATX support is the overall goal.

race2c

Caliper Novice
Dec 5, 2019
i will admit the second render looks better. Just not my cup of tea as a whole though. As noted, its an optional feature. It's great to see the likes of W360, Playful and others taking a case and creating so many different options/choices for us to pick from. while we all have different taste, we all have the same basic starting point. Thus, we can create what we want on the outside of a case, but when talking about technical issues (such as mobo fitment, cpu fitment, etc), we can have a similar background which relates back to that central starting point.

Last edited: