Cooling Introducing Optimus Water Cooling

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Full-cover water blocks for ITX-sized GPUs (or ITX-sized PCBs once the air-cooling solution is removed from the graphics card) are definitely something the SFF community needs, maybe that could be a direction for future products...?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just as a fun question, would you guys consider doing an MXM water block for the AsRock Deskmini line? I think it would make for some pretty amazing builds and would certainly give you a unique niche in the market.

OptimusWC

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Optimus Water Cooling
Nov 16, 2017
Full-cover water blocks for ITX-sized GPUs (or ITX-sized PCBs once the air-cooling solution is removed from the graphics card) are definitely something the SFF community needs, maybe that could be a direction for future products...?

Definitely! We already have plans to do itx/ half length full cover gpu blocks.

psycho88

Average Stuffer
Jan 18, 2017
I'm not sure when we would start making radiators, but I'd definitely be interested in doing that. Monoblocks we'd be able to do much sooner and making a full cover block for itx sounds really good for sff. Between the two, we would probably make a 92mm single and dual radiator, because the 92mm noctuas are really good. I don't personally know of any 80mm fans that are as good as the 92mm noctua.

Thank you for checking us out!

If I'm not mistaken, Noctua also has 80mm fan,, but I dont know yet how good is the performance,,

I agree with you, but if u visit ali express you'll find some itx sized gpu full cover water block (such as Bykski / barrow)
and bitspower also make full cover waterblock for msi gtx 1070 aero itx,,
but as i mentioned above, I am gonna be excited if @OptimusWC will produce full cover waterblock for itx size GPUs in the future, currently i have Full cover Waterblock for GTX 970 and GTX 1050 / Ti from EKWB, both are itx sized GPUs, and yes once again, we only have very limited options for monoblock & Full cover water block for itx size mobo & GPUs

SFF for Life ;)

psycho88

Average Stuffer
Jan 18, 2017
Why can Nvidia not see its way to putting out a single-slot full-cover water-cooled Titan ITX...!?!

maybe it's about the market and the price,, how many people will buy that kind of GPU? (with pre installed Waterblock)
and about the price, it will be more expensive,, Zotac already did it with GTX 1080 Ti mini arctic storm, but unfortunately, it's using aluminium waterblock rather than copper, (aluminium waterblock it's not what i want)

Reactions: AleksandarK

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
maybe it's about the market and the price,, how many people will buy that kind of GPU? (with pre installed Waterblock)
and about the price, it will be more expensive,, Zotac already did it with GTX 1080 Ti mini arctic storm, but unfortunately, it's using aluminium waterblock rather than copper, (aluminium waterblock it's not what i want)
I think a lot of stuff will move to aluminium options much like ek did. Simply because it's a cheaper option for people to get into watercooling. I know my next water-cooled build will move in that direction. CPU cooling for a little over 100? Take my money. Especially when the performance is still there

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yeah but I'm not sure Aluminum is a particularly good option. Less effective and incompatible with most offerings currently.

nero626

Average Stuffer
Dec 8, 2016
I'm pretty sure the mini arctic storm has a copper block, the aluminum parts are the backplate and the accent plate on the acrylic

the middle 2 parts are copper / nickle plated copper, the outer 2 are aluminum (doesn't come in contact with the liquid)

Reactions: seto and Biowarejak

Ubermarshall

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 11, 2017
Any chance of a monoblock for the asrock x370 taichi. There are next to no asrock monoblocks on the market at all.
Even low end Gigabyte and msi stuff gets them.

Reactions: Biowarejak

psycho88

Average Stuffer
Jan 18, 2017
I think a lot of stuff will move to aluminium options much like ek did. Simply because it's a cheaper option for people to get into watercooling. I know my next water-cooled build will move in that direction. CPU cooling for a little over 100? Take my money. Especially when the performance is still there

well, you're right, aluminium is cheaper and Lighter than copper, if we talk about air cooling, aluminium is able to radiate the heat into the air better than copper because of its lower density.

as a heat exchanger, Copper has better thermal conductivity than aluminium Copper has a 60% better thermal conductivity rating than aluminium and a 3,000% better rating than stainless steel, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_in_heat_exchangers

aluminium also have some limitation, for my case why I dont want to use aluminium Waterblock instead of thermal conductivity, because I can't use Liquid Metal TIM on aluminium heatsink, and if you visit EKWB website, for most of their copper based product, there is a note that the product should NOT be installed with any aluminum Fluid Gaming parts!
It means you have all the parts made from aluminium (waterblock, Fittings, & radiator)

In my opinion, aluminium based water cooling product is targeted for budget consumer.

I'm pretty sure the mini arctic storm has a copper block, the aluminum parts are the backplate and the accent plate on the acrylic

the middle 2 parts are copper / nickle plated copper, the outer 2 are aluminum (doesn't come in contact with the liquid)

I Saw on youtube, zotac told that the block itself made from aluminium,
I think I need to re check it again, thanks for your info

Reactions: Biowarejak

nero626

Average Stuffer
Dec 8, 2016
well, you're right, aluminium is cheaper and Lighter than copper, if we talk about air cooling, aluminium is able to radiate the heat into the air better than copper because of its lower density.

as a heat exchanger, Copper has better thermal conductivity than aluminium Copper has a 60% better thermal conductivity rating than aluminium and a 3,000% better rating than stainless steel, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_in_heat_exchangers
aluminium also have some limitation, for my case why I dont want to use aluminium Waterblock instead of thermal conductivity, because I can't use Liquid Metal TIM on aluminium heatsink, and if you visit EKWB website, for most of their copper based product, there is a note that the product should NOT be installed with any aluminum Fluid Gaming parts!
It means you have all the parts made from aluminium (waterblock, Fittings, & radiator)

In my opinion, aluminium based water cooling product is targeted for budget consumer.

I Saw on youtube, zotac told that the block itself made from aluminium,
I think I need to re check it again, thanks for your info
don't know which youtube video you watched but people have emailed zotac directly, the response was the silver block is nickle plated copper

https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooli..._1080_ti_arcticstorm_uses_both_aluminium_and/

edit: alright i just asked them on live chat to clear this up, the aluminum parts are the backplate and the accent plate on the acrylic, the block itself is copper

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hello, @OptimusWC !

Great to have you on the forum and I am super happy to have another USA based liquid cooling company! I would love the opportunity to support a community member who makes high quality LC components...and your blocks look great!

If I had any feedback for you...I buy alot of LC gear each year (like alot) and honestly there are so many amazing companies that make fantastic CPU blocks. I know this forum is going to be SFF oriented and therefore not give you the best general feedback, but I would really want to see some unique stuff from you guys, especially when I am buying fittings, reservoirs, and radiators from someone I can get GPU and CPU blocks from. Please don't think this is a slam, I'm just eager to get you some business. :D

I have a drawer full of CPU blocks and universal blocks...some of them brand new. What I would love to see are monoblocks for popular boards my customers use, and like KMPKT mentioned, a block for the deskmini...coming up with a monoblock for the 10 series MXM would be amazing and as someone who toys with milling I think it is not a particularly challenging part. I understand monoblocks are expensive and a niche product further driving up the cost, so maybe you could use this forum to initiate group buys?

Something that might also be considered...bring back really low profile side ports and mini fittings for your CPU blocks, or offer an interchangeable top for them. They went out of style a while back (I totally understand why.) On the GPU blocks do the opposite and allow for fittings on the top side so as not to extend the height of the card even further. We are a bit weird here and I for one could use LC products like that. :D

All in all you probably shouldn't listen to me...but I'd just love to see some unique products in the LC realm. Especially from team USA!

Peace and again, great to have you on the forum!

psycho88

Average Stuffer
Jan 18, 2017
don't know which youtube video you watched but people have emailed zotac directly, the response was the silver block is nickle plated copper

https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooli..._1080_ti_arcticstorm_uses_both_aluminium_and/

edit: alright i just asked them on live chat to clear this up, the aluminum parts are the backplate and the accent plate on the acrylic, the block itself is copper

that's great, so it will be fine for using Liquid Metal TIM on the block,,
thank you,,

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Aug 23, 2017
I will be recieving my Calyos NSG-S0 case that has equal/better performance than many liquid cooled setups. I was wondering if it would be possible to build a custom case and custom blocks with a passive cooling and water cooling loop. I also wonder if it would get better performance.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Just checking in, discovered this thread today. Also, super awesome to see such a company so close to my home town! Your waterblocks look very clean and nice. Any chance for making universal GPU blocks along with the full cover ones?

OptimusWC

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Optimus Water Cooling
Nov 16, 2017
Just checking in, discovered this thread today. Also, super awesome to see such a company so close to my home town! Your waterblocks look very clean and nice. Any chance for making universal GPU blocks along with the full cover ones?

Thank you for the kind words! I think we will do unviersal blocks as well in the future to accommodate for all the different pcb layouts. When we do that, I would also like to make a solution to cool the vrms as well. Universal blocks concern me without proper vrm cooling. Especially on a heavily overclocked 250+ watt gpu. Thanks!

OptimusWC

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Optimus Water Cooling
Nov 16, 2017
I will be recieving my Calyos NSG-S0 case that has equal/better performance than many liquid cooled setups. I was wondering if it would be possible to build a custom case and custom blocks with a passive cooling and water cooling loop. I also wonder if it would get better performance.

The Calyos case is pretty interesting. I switched to water cooling, because I hate fan noise. The passive cooling market is something we could get into in the future. It may very well lead to better performance. If you were using water you'd get the improved thermal conductivity, but that would require a pump to move the water.

seto

Caliper Novice
Nov 26, 2017
has anyone tried that zotac 1080ti arctic mini in an S4? will it even fit? rad options? just saw this after watching josh's last amazing video and getting excited about the opportunities for the future.