How to buy a PIO motherboard from taobao.com?

Silicon42

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
I'm really interested in these PIO motherboards with how they have the pcie 16x socket at the top and I am tentatively interested in buying one but it seems you can only get them in China. I'm particularly interested in this listing:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...Yyb0G&id=554229275280&ns=1&abbucket=18#detail

I would follow the guide on how to do it that is already on this site, but it seems it's not a supplier's listing but an actual person or DIY as taobao seems to call it. It seems that there are no more suppliers selling PIOs on taobao so this might also help other people who are interested. In particular I eventually want to pair the motherboard up with a core i5-7500, so would I even be able to update the BIOS of this board to make it work seeing as it's not a brand we have in the US?

Mar 6, 2017
There's this thread on buying from taobao through a 3rd party, but I can't personally vouch for how well the service works.

Also check out this thread for boards from more known (here in the US) manufacturers.

Not sure about flashing the one you linked, but when there's a will there's a way.

Reactions: Silicon42

Silicon42

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
There's this thread on buying from taobao through a 3rd party, but I can't personally vouch for how well the service works.
The problem with that is that it only works with vendors and not individuals (DIY) and there apparently are no more vendors selling them since searching PIO will only give a very short list of phone cases and no motherboards. It seems to be like the difference between and individual selling something on ebay vs a company that produces something having an ebay store, where the latter is what that 3rd party seems to work with.

Edit: Nevermind, maybe it does work now that I look closer at the guide.
Edit2: On a whim, I looked for the maker's website and they do have a BIOS update and even better, the BIOS is in English!

Last edited:

Silicon42

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
If this can wait until mid-January I have a PIO MB in Canada I ordered through Superbuy I would sell to you. Unlike the motherboard, I am not in Vancouver until January 13 :)
Thanks for the heads up, but part of the reason I'm on the fence about buying one is that I'm considering waiting around a year to see if any affordable 300 series motherboards of the same form factor will pop up to make buying an i5-8400 (or possibly i5-8500 when it's released) a good value buy.