Motherboard MSI Trident 3 motherboard. It's PIO, has 6pin for GPU!

ColorZepppelin

Trash Compacter
Original poster
ColorZeppelin Computers
Apr 8, 2016
Hey guys,

Take a look at this disassembly (no doubt most think this is old news) but that is a great little motherboard. Right angle PIO style pci-e, 6-pin power connector, 19V externally powered. Would love to know if it can support a 150W RX480. It has it all. Isn't there enough interest in the SFF community for exactly this kind of board? Would MSI or other brand make these or a version available?
Any chance anybody knows where to buy one of those boards?

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
Yeah I brought this up a while back and was shot down but I still think it's a better solution than pcie risers. There is a thread around here listing known boards with a right angled pcie slot. I think a few community members have bought them, only from China though.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Hey guys,

Take a look at this disassembly (no doubt most think this is old news) but that is a great little motherboard. Right angle PIO style pci-e, 6-pin power connector, 19V externally powered. Would love to know if it can support a 150W RX480. It has it all. Isn't there enough interest in the SFF community for exactly this kind of board? Would MSI or other brand make these or a version available?
Any chance anybody knows where to buy one of those boards?
--snip--

Yeah I brought this up a while back and was shot down but I still think it's a better solution than pcie risers. There is a thread around here listing known boards with a right angled pcie slot. I think a few community members have bought them, only from China though.

This was bought up a while back. The reason for it being shot down was that the motherboards were meant for system integrators and not the general public.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Shit, if if it took normal desktop DDR4 it would be perfect!

I wonder if it would be possible to purchas the motherboard seperately... need to see if MSI will sell direct.

Also NVME drive placement is a little weird.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
You're gonna pay a premium for that board by getting it with the case, even for the bare bones version.

And MSI somehow added warranty voiding stickers for some of the case crews, which I find pretty dumb. The system is made with user serviceable parts inside.