Concept Help with power delivery [STX+GPU]

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
I'm glad you updated this as I haven't found it in a search. I'm also sort of planning to do the same thing, STX---M,2 to PCIe--- 1050Ti and only today it started to strike me I was going to have to thing about how I supplied power as I will be quite surprised if the 1050Ti doesn't need some extra. I will have a read through and learn.

EDIT: Three power supplies at the SFF Labs store- all out of stock. Story of my life it seems. Then again with my workflow rate they will probably come back in stock before I need one (if I do).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ross Siggers

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
I'm glad you updated this as I haven't found it in a search. I'm also sort of planning to do the same thing, STX---M,2 to PCIe--- 1050Ti and only today it started to strike me I was going to have to thing about how I supplied power as I will be quite surprised if the 1050Ti doesn't need some extra. I will have a read through and learn.

I did initially have the gpu riser running off of the sata header on the motherboard itself. But that was only to test components, way back when I was first getting them all delivered.

ASUS advised me that the board itself should only really take a max of 120W through it. So adding a 75W gpu would put you in dangerous territory, even if you were going to run a 35W chip, like the 7600t, like I am. When using a graphics card on STX, although technically possible I feel like you'd not be comfortable with a pico.

I'm currently just using the sata header on the Dynamo mini, to power the riser. But as mentioned, in future I've got the option of going up to a card with a pcie plug because that's available.

I may do a separate thread to cover the build process. People seemed to really like the other thread I made on my customised 'slim' GTX750, and the rest of the build took a very similar DIY approach :)

Last edited:

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Sorry if I missed it, but what riser model are you using?

An utter garbage one, it's ADTlink but like, x1 speed or something awful ? It's a single cable, not a dual cable riser, which is a clear sign that it lacks bandwidth. It's on the list of components to be replaced. I have a link on my home PC, to an AliExpress page selling the one I want, I'll grab it after work.

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
I think I will need a different adaptor as well. The one I ordered is looking very dodge now it has arrived, although I haven't tested it yet as the A300 only arrived 90 minutes ago. I'm not gutted as two only cost £15 shipped from the USA, but they aren't as described visually.

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
^^^ exactly. Infact I think the R48SF that's shown right at the bottom of the page, was the one I was looking at. more bandwith, but it's really down to the orientation of the ends.

I need a flat pci slot, not a 90* one, and ideally I want the cable to come off the end of the M.2 slot, again not at a 90*

Last edited:

rook

Average Stuffer
Jul 9, 2018
2. You can use an off the shelf 12v solid state relay. Use 12v (fan) output from motherboard, and connect the PS_on and GND to the input and output pins on the SSR.

@Thehack Didn't want to start a new thread when you go about explaining things in this thread already. I'm going to do just the opposite of the OP. I want power my riser & GPU directly from an ATX power supply sans distribution board. The problem I ran into is jumpering the PSU (PS-ON to GND) still doesn't power the riser or the GPU. If I grab a 12v SSR, how exactly does it get wired up to the ATX PSU & the fan relay?

I know the riser works since everything powered up on my mITX setup.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack Didn't want to start a new thread when you go about explaining things in this thread already. I'm going to do just the opposite of the OP. I want power my riser & GPU directly from an ATX power supply sans distribution board. The problem I ran into is jumpering the PSU (PS-ON to GND) still doesn't power the riser or the GPU. If I grab a 12v SSR, how exactly does it get wired up to the ATX PSU & the fan relay?

I know the riser works since everything powered up on my mITX setup.

How does it not power on? If Ps_on is shorted to ground, then the atx psu must turn on.

And which riser are you using?

rook

Average Stuffer
Jul 9, 2018
@Thehack Sorry for the confusion. The ATX PSU powers on just fine, but the 8 pin GPU connection and 6 pin SATA appear not to have power. I'll have to grab my multi-meter and confirm no power to any of the pins but the GPU fans are not spinning up when the PSU turns on. I'm using the ADT.Link R43SL. Down near the middle of the page it says it doesn't have "Auto Power On", not sure if that has anything to do with what's going on. Also, I'm using a Flex ATX PSU (500 W Delta from Geeek). Thanks!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack Sorry for the confusion. The ATX PSU powers on just fine, but the 8 pin GPU connection and 6 pin SATA appear not to have power. I'll have to grab my multi-meter and confirm no power to any of the pins but the GPU fans are not spinning up when the PSU turns on. I'm using the ADT.Link R43SL. Down near the middle of the page it says it doesn't have "Auto Power On", not sure if that has anything to do with what's going on. Also, I'm using a Flex ATX PSU (500 W Delta from Geeek). Thanks!

Probably means it lacks a load switch.

Regardless your atx based psu is either on or off. It can't be "on" and not output on the gpu connector.

rook

Average Stuffer
Jul 9, 2018
Probably means it lacks a load switch.

Regardless your atx based psu is either on or off. It can't be "on" and not output on the gpu connector.

Well I got everything working, but it seems finicky. After verifying all the ATX pins were indeed hot, I started unplugging & plugging things. First attempt at plugging in the m.2 BSOD'd the PC. The it got stuck in a reboot loop so I unplugged it, then somehow the Adrenalin software was corrupt, sorted that out and then it all worked. I can't explain it lol but thank you for listening XD.

Reactions: Ross Siggers