Concept Help with power delivery [STX+GPU]

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
@GuilleAcoustic For a moment there I was keen to have an internal PSU that'd allow room for upgrading to a more powerful GPU with 6-pin power, as well as a higher tdp CPU. But now I have more parts, and see how they fit in the case, I don't think I'd be able to upgrade anyway! So I can go back to the more compact, suitable power delivery of the HDPlex 160. Anyone want a new in box dynamo, maybe minus the DC barrel adapter cable? XDXD

@Thehack Good to know! I actually just checked my Thinkpad X230t, the port on the back is the larger 7.5mm standard. And the chargers are available in 65w and 90w, so this is a good sign.

I may actually do a build thread for this soon, it's starting to take shape a bit more now.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I don't get it. Neither hdplex 160 (dc-atx) nor dynamo mini work with STX boards. Are you switching to ITX?

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
I don't get it. Neither hdplex 160 (dc-atx) nor dynamo mini work with STX boards. Are you switching to ITX?

How do they not support STX? Is it not a case of having a cable that adapts the motherboard power, to a DC barrel? Earlier in this thread its mentioned that the Dynamo 360 comes with such a cable in the box, so my assumption was that I could either use that one or make a similar one for an HDplex o_O

BUT as always someone please stop me if that's not correct XD

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
How do they not support STX? Is it not a case of having a cable that adapts the motherboard power, to a DC barrel? Earlier in this thread its mentioned that the Dynamo 360 comes with such a cable in the box, so my assumption was that I could either use that one or make a similar one for an HDplex o_O

BUT as always someone please stop me if that's not correct XD

He is just mistaken.

STX does not need the HDPLEX itself. However you do need something to convert 19V to 12V for your GPU. You can also go with a simpler circuit if you can source a step down DC-DC converter.

Reactions: Ross Siggers

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Dynamo 360 is 16-24V in, 16-24V passthrough, and pcie power out.

The passthrough here can be passed into dynamo mini; which is 16-24V in, 24pin atx, sata, pcie, and eps out.

OR, if you're using STX boards, the passthrough goes to the board directly either via dc jack or dc in header. You do this rather than just plugging the brick to the board because, you need more power to feed your gpu (STX only gives a fraction of the power ATX specced through pcie slot IIRC, idk the details)

Now STX differs from ITX where power is applied. 12V rail in ATX is off when the system is switched off, whereas in STX the DC-IN (12-19V, depends on the board) is always on.

See in ATX(ITX) the boards signals the psu to turn on all the rails but not so in STX.

Sorry I still don't get it - why would you need the picos again?

Edit:

He is just mistaken.

STX does not need the HDPLEX itself. However you do need something to convert 19V to 12V for your GPU. You can also go with a simpler circuit if you can source a step down DC-DC converter.

Beat me to it. Yeah you said it better...

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
@Thehack @Choidebu

You guys got it, yeah. Because I'm planning on running a discreet gpu with this, some kind of adapter would be needed, be it to power the card directly, or just the riser. Still undecided about my usage of the sata power header on the board, but should I upgrade components down the line, this setup would be far more futureproof anyway.

I'm going with such a small unit because I don't reckon I'll need the extra power the Dynamo offers, the system will use a 35w tdp processor, and initially a slot-powered graphics card with potential to upgrade to a single pcie plugged card. Not to mention the space I'm building in is both tiny, and inflexible. 190x190x70mm with tapered and chamfered edges. Equates to approximately 2.8L if that's your preferred measurement.

I know you can use a jumper on the HDplex to allow it to power on, without being plugged in at the 24pin. But as for STX, are you saying I need to wire my power button direct to the HDplex instead of the motherboard in my case? Or do it to the motherboard, but somehow sync the HDplex in?

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
The Dynamo 360 I prematurely ordered, would have arrived today!!

...oh wait. There's a customs charge that's almost 50% the cost of the actual part :\

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I know you can use a jumper on the HDplex to allow it to power on, without being plugged in at the 24pin. But as for STX, are you saying I need to wire my power button direct to the HDplex instead of the motherboard in my case? Or do it to the motherboard, but somehow sync the HDplex in?

Sorry, you seems confused..

You don't need anything other than an apropriate brick to power an STX board.

I'm confused because in one place you say you're going for a dGPU, but in another you said you don't need extra power that dynamo offers.

If you don't use a dGPU you don't need dynamo at all, yes correct.

Power button goes to the board btw.

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
@Choidebu Technically no, I know I don't 'need' anything else to power the STX. But I spoke to ASUS and they advised that the board would only take up to around 120W of direct power. Also, I am 100% using a graphics card.

With a GPU on a powered riser, and the intention to upgrade it to an actual 6-pin powered card down the line(should space allow for it)...an additional PSU would be required. BUT...I said that I don't need the extra power the Dynamo offers, no. Because the wattage it supports is overkill for my purpose. An HDplex 160 would do fine. Am I confused? That seems to make sense in my head.

Good to know for the power button part, thanks I was a little mixed up with that. I wasn't sure how the board communicated with the psu. But if it's just normal front panel headers, then that's all good :)

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Update, that package wasn't the Dynamo... Which thinking about it, actually makes a lot of sense. It was supposed to be coming from an EU source, so wouldn't have had a customs charge on it(yet...*cough*brexitpossibilities*cough*)

It was actually the RAM I bought from @CC Ricers ! Almost got all the parts now. If my thinkpad charger has the right DC barrel I could actually test the system sans-GPU

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
I know this thread has gone quiet, but does anybody know how to contact Aibohphobia, the fella who made the STX.160? I noticed he's not been active on the forum for over a year now, and I'd like to ask him about his power setup for that build >.>

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018

Oh, that is a shame. Hope he's doing well, wherever he is.

I notice he was running a direct plug HDplex 160... Unplugged. Infact seeing that on his build was one of the reasons I thought mine was possible.

But I'm unsure if I can have a cable made to send dc plug power to my board, from the 24-pin or the eps header, whatever works. The STX.160 build thread seems to focus a lot more on the case manufacturing and I can't see details about power delivery. A post on the Reddit thread implies he's tapping into the 24-pin, but doesn't go into an more detail.

KPMKT Craig was helping by looking into if anything was possible, but nothing so far on that front. The build has almost progressed to completion otherwise. Just graphics card mounting and power delivery left. I've even benchmarked it, using a Dynamo360 which I don't have anymore.

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I notice he was running a direct plug HDplex 160... Unplugged. Infact seeing that on his build was one of the reasons I thought mine was possible.

But I'm unsure if I can have a cable made to send dc plug power to my board, from the 24-pin or the eps header,

What aiboh did, IIRC, is a way to turn on the mini 160 when the board powers up. Because if you'd just jump it, that means your gpu is powered all the time whenever your brick is plugged.

To turn the mini 160 on, you need to jump/connect the ps_on header on it. This does the same thing as jumping pin 17 on the 24-pin to ground. The problem is nothing on the board that pulls to ground when it turns on.

A load switch, connected to chasis fan header (for example) can jump this ps_on header.

Vout -> p-on, 0V -> g, Vin -> fan header's Vcc. When the board is off, the fan header gives out 0V/ground, the switch is off. When the board is powered, the fan header gives out 5V, the switch is on, so the p_on is jumped to g.

That's the theory.

Last edited:

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
See, that makes perfect sense to me! Thanks for a great explanation @Choidebu. I also conveniently, I recently got my one motherboard powered fan and fitted it. Is there any difference drawing power from the 24-pin, or from the 4-pin eps plug?

Just have to see if someone will help me make the cables now. Back to browsing dc barrel connectors on ebay!! XDXD

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
See, that makes perfect sense to me! Thanks for a great explanation @Choidebu. I also conveniently, I recently got my one motherboard powered fan and fitted it. Is there any difference drawing power from the 24-pin, or from the 4-pin eps plug?
Shouldn't be any difference. Why not cha_fan though?

Ross Siggers

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
STX has no PCIe...
It's been mentioned, I intend to use an adapter for PCIe devices. I couldn't physically fit a larger board.

Shouldn't be any difference. Why not cha_fan though?
Oh sorry, I was referring to the boards power source there(DC barrel), not the signal source. The signal would of course come from something more suitable, 100% the fan header.