Discussion Help with gpu undervolting frequency curve

dream3

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 5, 2019

Can you guys please tell me which of these 3 frequency curves would be the ideal or make the most sense and why?

Im really not sure so Id love to understand.

marcv81

Chassis Packer
Jul 11, 2018
If you had a lot of time you could pick all the frequencies your card supports, and find the lowest stable voltage for each. Since you probably don't want to spend that long you could pick a few different frequencies (maybe just 1740 MHz and ~1300 MHz or whichever lowest frequency you want) and interpolate linearly between the points.

dream3

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 5, 2019
If you had a lot of time you could pick all the frequencies your card supports, and find the lowest stable voltage for each. Since you probably don't want to spend that long you could pick a few different frequencies (maybe just 1740 MHz and ~1300 MHz or whichever lowest frequency you want) and interpolate linearly between the points.

Ok great, linearly between points makes sense. How do I figure my lowest frequency though?

inSparks

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
What I usually do is completely forget about the boost frequencies on the spec sheet for my card as they are simply irrelevant for normal use. I just run some benchmarks, play some games, and do every other kind of heavy lifting I can think of that I normally do. Then I compare logs from HWMonitor, HWINFO64, GPU-Z, etc and identify what the maximum boost is reaching in real world terms based on what I am asking of it.

So for example, my RTX 2070 is never boosting more than about 1800/1810MHz when I am gaming, editing etc. There is simply no point setting it any higher than that. I just conservatively picked 1800MHZ and took it down as far in voltage as it would go, which turned out to be 850mV.

Can't post a screenshot atm, but the curve up to the flattened part at 1800MHz is pretty linear. The idea is to cut down any bumps or troughs leading up to that. The goal is that the fan ramps up smoothly with no abrupt changes in fan speed, which I find far more intolerable than the overall loudness of the fan.

So to answer your question, personally I would prefer something like picture 1. It's a far more linear line spread over a larger spread of frequencies. It's likely to idle quieter - assuming it can cool down to such levels.

marcv81

Chassis Packer
Jul 11, 2018
How do I figure my lowest frequency though?

It does not matter that much. You could take the lowest frequency of the default curve. The most important frequency to optimize for is the highest, because that's where the voltage, power, and temperatures will be the highest too.