Discussion ADVICE - Undervolting Ryzen 5600

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
Hey guys and gals, im seeking advice to the best way to undervolt the 5600 CPU i have, i know there is ways to change the PPT/TDC/EDC limits and i've always been scared away from attempted to use ryzen master as CB use to crash when the system reached 85degrees (on my 5800x build). I suspect i would get the same from the 4L build, but would like some advice to reduce some specs on both the CPU/MB combo and the GPU without scacrficing too much in the way of performance.

Im a bit of a noob when it comes to over/under clocking and the closest i have got is by setting a neg PBO curve and disabling the CPU limits, so dont quite understand the inner workings.

Reactions: AlexTSG

Mashndrow

Caliper Novice
Mar 27, 2022
I overclocked and undervolted 3600 and 5900x on Ryzen Master. I can tell you it was easier to work on 3600 than 5900x. I am not an expert but I find the right voltage by keep testing and crashing the system. It's safer to crash the system these days. I would advise using Cinebench r20 or r23 while finding the right voltage by just playing the numbers. I currently find my best spot at 4.2 GHz 1.15v on my 3600. I think you can go higher clock speed while keeping the voltage low than mine.

seppola

Trash Compacter
Jan 1, 2020
neg PBO is per se not undervolting. Find a good neg PBO curve, and set limits to PPT/EDC/TDC, you can do this in bios or ryzen master.

If you dont want to automatically adjust PPT/EDC/TDC, you can activate ECO MODE in bios, this will set consumption to 45W. By far the easiest approach.

Reactions: AlexTSG

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
neg PBO is per se not undervolting. Find a good neg PBO curve, and set limits to PPT/EDC/TDC, you can do this in bios or ryzen master.

If you dont want to automatically adjust PPT/EDC/TDC, you can activate ECO MODE in bios, this will set consumption to 45W. By far the easiest approach.
i've heard the ECO mode, i might try it and see what the CB scores are and the temps

Pagusas

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2022
use the PRBO2 Tuner tool to modify the PPT/EDC/TDC and PBO Curve all right from windows in real time, letting you find the sweet spot, its way quicker and easier to use then Ryzen Master.

Talked about here: https://www.overclock.net/threads/c...imizer-settings.1777398/page-31#post-28957165

Its developed by PJVol at OC.net, then use corecycler or OCCT to do your stability test.

With those tools I was able to find the sweet spot for my x5950 in minutes.

Reactions: Phuncz

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

From what I read around, this approach indeed seems to be the easiest.

I think most low profile CPU coolers should handle up to 65 watt just fine, provided your ambient temp is not too hot.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
In all honesty, I have found that if you just run it stock, at 76W, the 5600(X) doesn't instantly combust.

Even the AXP90-x36 or the L9a is more than sufficient to keep it cool, with a max of 76C ish, in my test case, with ambient being around 31C.

Ryzen tends to run higher and it's normal behavior, and embrace the higher temperatures.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
In all honesty, I have found that if you just run it stock, at 76W, the 5600(X) doesn't instantly combust.

Even the AXP90-x36 or the L9a is more than sufficient to keep it cool, with a max of 76C ish, in my test case, with ambient being around 31C.

Ryzen tends to run higher and it's normal behavior, and embrace the higher temperatures.
yes, i think there are a few factors contributing to my temps, the air flow in the the case seems to be poor and maybe even doing the PBO curve may be making it run hotter and then there is the issue of it being a 4L case haha.

I might flick on the eco mode and see how that effects performance and maybe look at a velka 3 case or denisum, ie something with better mesh sides.

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
I gave it a go, got interesting results using the ECo mode and come to think of it, still have the PBO neg curve switched on...
With the side panel on, the CB23 score was 9720, hitting a max temp of 73degrees, where one panel off was a higher 9836 and max temp of 66*c.

As a comparison the first run, stock no settings changed was a CB23 of 10273 and max temp of 88deg (panel on), and PBO neg curve on and panel off CB23 of 10979 and max temp of 79*c.

I asked my mate to do run his pc which is a 10600 in a full ATX case with a few windows open and he mentioned his CB score was low 8000's, so i assume the undervolted ryzen isnt that bad a score considering they are both 6 core CPU's.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Thanks to this thread, I thought I'd go digging through my BIOS for an ECO mode setting for my 5800X.

I found a 95W Eco Mode which I've enabled, and I'm now maxing out at 85 degrees, instead of the 90 I was constantly hitting.

Cinebench R23 scores are down around 6%, but for now it lets me put off changing from my Noctua U9S to a 240mm AiO for a bit longer.

I did try undervolting with Ryzen Master while having the 95W Eco Mode set, but that caused a reboot less than 2 minutes into the Cinebench run. I might try again with Ryzen Master set to a longer duration stress test overnight, but for now the default 30 sec duration is not yielding stable results.

Reactions: rfarmer

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2022
Thanks to this thread, I thought I'd go digging through my BIOS for an ECO mode setting for my 5800X.

I found a 95W Eco Mode which I've enabled, and I'm now maxing out at 85 degrees, instead of the 90 I was constantly hitting.

Cinebench R23 scores are down around 6%, but for now it lets me put off changing from my Noctua U9S to a 240mm AiO for a bit longer.

I did try undervolting with Ryzen Master while having the 95W Eco Mode set, but that caused a reboot less than 2 minutes into the Cinebench run. I might try again with Ryzen Master set to a longer duration stress test overnight, but for now the default 30 sec duration is not yielding stable results.
i would be interested to know how the eco mode goes with gaming and if there is a dip in performance.

also with my NR200 case and 5800x build, i found that using the PBO curve with a neg of 20-25 and a 280mm AIO i got those temps down to 78 deg

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
i would be interested to know how the eco mode goes with gaming and if there is a dip in performance.

also with my NR200 case and 5800x build, i found that using the PBO curve with a neg of 20-25 and a 280mm AIO i got those temps down to 78 deg

I'll run some gaming benchmarks and see, but I doubt it will affect most of my games. I would probably get almost the same performance with a Ryzen 3600.

My monitor has a 3840x1600 resolution and my RTX 3080 is always the bottleneck. I also only run at 120Hz with VSync enabled.

I can see this being more of a problem for those running super fast 360Hz gaming monitors for competitive gaming.

I still want to get the AIO installed at some point as my main CPU workload is video rendering which for bigger projects can see the CPU running at 100% load for hours.