Help with first ever SFF Build, NCase M1 V6 Air-cooled

Soulforger90

Trash Compacter
Sep 30, 2019
After removing everything and putting it on a breadbox, barebones testing yielded the same thing - RGB lighting comes on but I still couldn't short the front i/o pins to turn the PC on. I even removed the NVME, RAM, separately and at one point only the cpu and cooler were installed. Still no luck .

I am assuming this might just be a MOBO issue? I am looking around for a paperclip to test my PSU. Beyond that, I am out of ideas

Sounds like you've exhausted all your options and pretty much done everything you could to solve the problem. Definitely sounds like it's just a bad board. Return it and get a new one.

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
Sounds like you've exhausted all your options and pretty much done everything you could to solve the problem. Definitely sounds like it's just a bad board. Return it and get a new one.

Thanks for your help. On another (also frustrating note).
After removing my CPU cooler I noted that the my Ryzen 3700X cpu chip came out of its socket and was attached to it. The result of this? Bent CPU pins. I am not sure if removing the CPU caused this or the initial install was off.

I am pretty sure Newegg won't take this CPU back. I used my AMEX card so am hoping purchase protection will take care of it and I could just replace the chip.

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Thanks for your help. On another (also frustrating note).
After removing my CPU cooler I noted that the my Ryzen 3700X cpu chip came out of its socket and was attached to it. The result of this? Bent CPU pins. I am not sure if removing the CPU caused this or the initial install was off.

I am pretty sure Newegg won't take this CPU back. I used my AMEX card so am hoping purchase protection will take care of it and I could just replace the chip.
So you didn't install the cpu right, hence the boot issues?

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
So you didn't install the cpu right, hence the boot issues?

Very likely, though I recall triple checking that the CPU was oriented correctly and seated right before pushing the lever down. It was either I messed the CPU up the first time around without realizing it or I bent the pins during the process of removing the cooler.

I also paperclip-tested the psu today without any issues.

At any rate I've put in to exchange both the mobo and cpu. I learned my lesson the first time around and will breadbox to see if the entire set-up will POST before I even think about stuffing things inside the NCase

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
Hi all, Brief update on the build:

Got the new CPU and Aorus X570-I Mobo in.
Did a preliminary breadbox test and all components turn on when I short the front I/O panels

Only issue now is that the HDMI connection isnt registering from my monitor the the 2080 TI cpu.

All connections have been checked including cable power.
CPU and GPU fans are spinning

I noticed there wasn't a beep either with the Ncase speaker attached to the board's pins

I also updated the BIOS via qflash to the most recent one from early this month.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Was going to try a display port cable and see if I can get an image.

Hoping this isn't another board or CPU issue.

Last edited:

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Hi all, Brief update on the build:

Got the new CPU and Aorus X570-I Mobo in.
Did a preliminary breadbox test and all components turn on when I short the front I/O panels

Only issue now is that the HDMI connection isnt registering from my monitor the the 2080 TI cpu.

All connections have been checked including cable power.
CPU and GPU fans are spinning

I noticed there wasn't a beep either with the Ncase speaker attached to the board's pins

I also updated the BIOS via qflash to the most recent one from early this month.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Was going to try a display port cable and see if I can get an image.

Hoping this isn't another board or CPU issue.
With the bandwidth you will be pushing with that beast, you will need a DP cable anyway to make the most of your fps/monitor.
On topic: should work with hdmi, only go forward until you installed windows and boots all fine. Hard to say what the problem is. Do you have any lights on the mobo indicating if you booted all the way to bios?

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
With the bandwidth you will be pushing with that beast, you will need a DP cable anyway to make the most of your fps/monitor.
On topic: should work with hdmi, only go forward until you installed windows and boots all fine. Hard to say what the problem is. Do you have any lights on the mobo indicating if you booted all the way to bios?

None of the on-board RGB lights turned on the back of the board. The Aorus doesnt have indicator lights as far as I can tell. In addition I plugged in a keyboard i know for sure works with other devices into multiple usb slots on the back and the keyboard rgb didn't light up either. I also plugged in the i/o speaker to the pin connectors on the mobo and there was no noticeable beeping

I also made it a point to break everything down again and re-examined my CPU to make sure it wasn't damaged and it was in pristine condition.

At this point i'm wondering if it's possible that i've just had bad luck with two bad mobos from two different companies.
I am hoping it's not my GPU that's the issue as its fans and lighting turned on just fine.

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
None of the on-board RGB lights turned on the back of the board. The Aorus doesnt have indicator lights as far as I can tell. In addition I plugged in a keyboard i know for sure works with other devices into multiple usb slots on the back and the keyboard rgb didn't light up either. I also plugged in the i/o speaker to the pin connectors on the mobo and there was no noticeable beeping

I also made it a point to break everything down again and re-examined my CPU to make sure it wasn't damaged and it was in pristine condition.

At this point i'm wondering if it's possible that i've just had bad luck with two bad mobos from two different companies.
I am hoping it's not my GPU that's the issue as its fans and lighting turned on just fine.
Damn... You just have the worst luck ever I guess. Hard to tell, but seems a mobo issue. Good luck trying man, I feel for you. Maybe try out the gpu at a friends pc of your old pc?

CudB

Chassis Packer
Sep 3, 2019

Defective ram or sockets can prevent POST. Try each stick individually and in different sockets. Borrow RAM if that doesn't work.

Another possibility is a bad PSU. Troubleshooting can be a real PITA when you don't have spare testing parts so you just need to keep at it.

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
Defective ram or sockets can prevent POST. Try each stick individually and in different sockets. Borrow RAM if that doesn't work.

Another possibility is a bad PSU. Troubleshooting can be a real PITA when you don't have spare testing parts so you just need to keep at it.
Good thoughts. If it were bad ram wouldn’t the speakers beep? And if it were a bad PSU would the paper clip test not work? The Corsair SF I have has a fanless mode so it’s hard to say if it’s the psu or not. I will doin once I boot but stop since there’s no load.

CudB

Chassis Packer
Sep 3, 2019
Good thoughts. If it were bad ram wouldn’t the speakers beep? And if it were a bad PSU would the paper clip test not work? The Corsair SF I have has a fanless mode so it’s hard to say if it’s the psu or not. I will doin once I boot but stop since there’s no load.

Hmm well on page 19 of the online manual for the Aorus x570-i it says it produces a single beep when there are no problems. It doesn't mention anything about what it does when there is an issue so it could be that no beep means there is a problem.