CPU Help with DDC Pump Options for NCASE Iceman

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Original poster
Aug 5, 2017
I'm trying to figure out what would be a quiet reliable pump to fit to the iceman I have on the way. This is my first go at a custom loop so forgive me if I have terminology mixed up and please correct me.

The options I've seen so far:
  • Alphacool Laing DDC
    • Leaning towards this because it seems to be plug and play, only concern in noise
  • EK DDC 3.2
    • Does this actually fit? Can the inlet/outlet plate on the top be removed?
    • If the top does come off, then I should be able to use the EK DDC heatsink kit on this, correct?
  • EK VTX
    • Not even considering this since you have to buy it with the pump/res combo.
    • Also saw mixed reviews regarding material deposits inside the pump.
  • Bykski
    • Don't know much about this one, apparently there's a Barrow equivalent around too.
Hoping for some opinions on noise and longevity from some current/previous owners. I'll only have this running a 240 rad and cpu block for now so I'm assuming that means I don't need a high powered pump - noise is the prime factor for me.

Update: I ended up going with the Alphacool based on price and availability for my build and have been very happy with the results, it's been running happily and quietly for the past 3 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexTSG

ten13th

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2020
I’ve Barrow and some cheapo 10W pump I got from AliExpress. Both of them are in use in separate machine for over a year now. Both of them are quiet.

There are a couple of threads about VTX issues. So I would avoid it.

Here is my M1 dual rad build with Iceman and el cheapo pump.

US $16.90 51% Off | PU-SZM4 Quiet Water Cooler Pump Computer Ultra-thin PWM Speed Regulation 3M 500L/H Control Pump Mute Pump for CPU Cooling System

Last edited:
Reactions: BaK and rcodi

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
@rcodi I'm considering getting the NCASE IceMan Cooler and Alphacool Laing DDC 310 myself. They're also a convenient combo as the same store on AliExpress sells them both.

Are you still happy with yours now you've had it for 8 or 9 months?

I was also wondering if it's a good idea to get a pump cover like this one

All the Alphacool DDC 310 options I've seen look like they have a silver housing, so this would probably be more for aesthetics, although if it keeps it cooler or quieter, that would be great.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Original poster
Aug 5, 2017
@rcodi I'm considering getting the NCASE IceMan Cooler and Alphacool Laing DDC 310 myself. They're also a convenient combo as the same store on AliExpress sells them both.

Are you still happy with yours now you've had it for 8 or 9 months?

I was also wondering if it's a good idea to get a pump cover like this one

All the Alphacool DDC 310 options I've seen look like they have a silver housing, so this would probably be more for aesthetics, although if it keeps it cooler or quieter, that would be great.

It's been running almost 24/7 since I put it together and I have no complaints, it's quiet and performing great. Not sure what the combo costs but I purchased my pump at $40 back then. If it does cost more nowadays I'd be tempted to try the newer EK DDC 4.2.

I picked up a barrow block cover in black for the same reason although I haven't fitted it yet, but I've seen people running without any pump cover so I don't think it matters beyond aesthetics.

Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the quick reply.

It looks like the EK DDC 4.2 is around $20 more, but as I'd have to buy it somewhere else it's probably closer to $50 more with separate shipping and duties.

One thing I did like about the Alphacool DDC 310, is that it looks like I can connect all the leads into a single fan connector, and not have the separate molex. The pump header on my MSI B550I can supply 36W, so that's more than enough.

I think this will be a project for later in the year anyway. I haven't even looked into radiators, fans, or waterblocks yet...

I just wanted to get the IceMan Cooler now, just in case it gets discontinued now that the NCASE M1 has been.

Reactions: rcodi