Prebuilt Heatsink barebone case?

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
I've stumbled upon pictures of various barebone PCs that have cases lined with heatsink fins...

And I was wondering if there are any cases like this for enthusiasts to build in. I would love to have something like this, but instead all I found anything like this was a few months ago when Hardware Canucks reviewed a large passively cooled cube case with wasn't really "SFF".

It would be really nice to have a completely passive system via this and external PSU for an APU in a mITX motherboard. I've been patiently waiting for Ryzen APUs and IDK if such a passive cooling system could handle a 65W TDP APU, but the idea is just so desirable.

TLDR: Is there a ITX barebone PC case that doubles as a CPU cooling solution? If not: why not?

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
Streacom DB4 is the go to case atm, and is probably the case you are refering to.

Remember that if you want something to cool a 80-85w tdp, you need a lot of surface area if its passive.

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Thanks for the great list. Most of these that I could find the spec for it didn't really recommend anything over 35-60W TDP which isn't what I intended. I was hoping for a 65W TDP desktop APU. I think I should instead find a case suitable for a CPU cooler like the NH-L12 with top fan removed.

Does anybody know of any barebone cases capable of housing a 66mm tall CPU cooler?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I recently picked up an older HFX Micro barebone brand new for 14€ :)

I slightly modded the case to fit a GTX 1060 and by using a flat coolpipe to passively cool an i5 6400T (cheap, efficient and easy to bend) :

The heatsink dimensions are 220 x 80 x 30 mm.

It is enough to handle a i5 6400T in burn : temps stabilize at 65° after 30min of Prime 95 :)
However, temps are slow to get back to normal as the radiator quickly staturates.
Using both radiators wouldn't hurt.

You'd need more cooling surface to cool a 65W APU but it seems very doable :)

Jin

Trash Compacter
Apr 27, 2017
I've stumbled upon pictures of various barebone PCs that have cases lined with heatsink fins...

And I was wondering if there are any cases like this for enthusiasts to build in. I would love to have something like this, but instead all I found anything like this was a few months ago when Hardware Canucks reviewed a large passively cooled cube case with wasn't really "SFF".

It would be really nice to have a completely passive system via this and external PSU for an APU in a mITX motherboard. I've been patiently waiting for Ryzen APUs and IDK if such a passive cooling system could handle a 65W TDP APU, but the idea is just so desirable.

TLDR: Is there a ITX barebone PC case that doubles as a CPU cooling solution? If not: why not?
Raven Ridge =]!!!!