zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey, I was testing the thermals on a passively-cooled Atom chip.

I forget which thread I mentioned that I had this thing in and that I'd see if the heatsink could be removed for you, but it's a Supermicro A1SRi-2578F. The Atom chip is rated as a 20W part.

I was able to remove the CPU cooler and was having strange issues ever since I did. I tried reapplying paste, but my rubbing alcohol didn't seem to faze it so I put it back on like that. My CPU was consistently going all the way down to a x12 core clock multiplier (running at 1.2Ghz vs its stock 2.4Ghz)... So I reapplied thermal paste which took a lot of elbow grease (it seriously took me about 40 minutes to get all the thermal paste off and it involved me carefully scraping at it to get it off) and booted everything up. My clock has stayed at its x24 multiplier for a few hours now and I even just got done running a stress test for an hour.

Here's where we get back to passive cooling being an issue. I was stress testing this chip (and paste and heatsink) to see if things were back to working order. They are, but over the course of an hour, a 20W chip being stress tested got all the way up to 70C on a passive cooler.

Similar to what Dimitri did in that HC video, I plugged a case fan into one of my fan headers and put it over the 70C passive heatsink. Over the course of time it took me to write this post, my CPU has cooled by 23C, with the fan being slowed down by PWM.

Siffice to say, having something to circulate heat out is a tremendous boost to the effectiveness of any sort of radiator. It might be possible that you could create a large enough heatsink to where it could actually "conduct" room-temperature air to circulate, but this thing made it all the way up to ~150F and I can assure you that's nearly double the temperature in the room which outght to be between 72F and 78F.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Maybe a little off topic but my anecdotal experience w/ devices listed as passive (especially Intel's server heatsinks and such) is that they assume there will be airflow (sometimes quite alot of it either from ducting or some form of air guide) from chassis fans. Its counter-intuitive to some extent but apparently "passive" doesn't necessarily mean "passive" in the way one might think it does so much as it just means "the fans are elsewhere in the box" these days.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Maybe a little off topic but my anecdotal experience w/ devices listed as passive (especially Intel's server heatsinks and such) is that they assume there will be airflow (sometimes quite alot of it either from ducting or some form of air guide) from chassis fans. Its counter-intuitive to some extent but apparently "passive" doesn't necessarily mean "passive" in the way one might think it does so much as it just means "the fans are elsewhere in the box" these days.

That's almost definitely the case with this server-grade board. But with Streacom products, I believe most of them are designated to be passive and "fanless." Which, maybe "fanless" is how you know you're specifically getting a product engineered under the assumption you don't have help circulating things.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phryq

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
So why is Streacom so effective?

I've made a new design,

The idea is to use 2 vapor chambers (or in a perfect world, a single awesomely shaped vapor-chamber, and even the fins would be vapor-chamber).

One vapor chamber above the CPU die (it functions as a spreader, but also moves the heat up to the lid).
Second vapor-chamber is the lid, with fins mounted on (it would be placed vertically for convection).

If Streacom's case is effective because of it's shear bulk, we should be able to match that by having high=surface area structures, more fins (Streacom only has side fins) and better heatpiping (again, if the lid is a vapor chamber, that's super cool).

Don't know how you'd fasten it down though.

Also, as you see above, if it were thin-ITX you could simply lower this lid down and save a ton of space. Use that space for more fins. In all these pics, the idea is that anything yellow is a vapor-chamber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Right... so maybe I need to give up on the passive idea... Anyhow, I could take that same concept in the pic, drill holes, and put a quiet 140mm fan in it.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Here's my latest attempt at a 3d model. It should be viewable without logging in (I hope).

https://skfb.ly/67JFD

The star is supposed to be a fan, and the heatpipes are wonky, but it's basically this concept, except instead of a vapor-chamber using direct-contact heatpipes.

So it's more of a cooler-concept than a case-concept.