Enclosure [SFFn] Streacom's FC8 Reviewed - Shhh!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Passive cooling is one of the holy grails of computing - a high performance system without any moving, and thus noise producing, parts. Streacom has been producing passive system cases for some years now, emphasising both quality and performance in their products. I've been looking to see what all the fuss is about for some time, and recently the opportunity has arisen for this to finally happen.

A while back, I looked at passive cooling, running a 65w APU under a giant Scythe Ninja heatsink. While the results were promising from a pure temperature perspective, the system was unwieldy, heatsink too big, and the experiment killed that particular motherboard soon after. Let's see how a properly engineered solution fares, shall we?

Read more here.

summarit

Chassis Packer
May 29, 2017
instagram.com
@Nwkrep82 used the non passive version of this case with that ASL 1050 Ti, great build.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I really like the DIY aspect and completely silent nature of this case, especially for use as a HTPC. It looks like an extremely well thought out case with a terrific fit and finish. It's just missing the IR blaster- otherwise it would be perfect for that audience. That being said, I watch movies extremely loud so the non-passive version posted above, perhaps with an the upcoming Ryzen APU, would be more than enough for my needs.

I have no use for it personally but the inclusion of the Kensington lock cutout is pretty smart.

Nicely done.

Reactions: AleksandarK

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
No, the cooler is more than 1 slot wide. AFAIK, there are no single slot, low profile, passive 1030's. There are some active cooled ones, though.
Assuming you can get some good airflow inside the case, I'm pretty sure removing the fan from a single slot actively cooled GT 1030 would be no big deal.

parlinone

Trash Compacter
Nov 3, 2017
The construction and build details are so strikingly similar (almost identical) to my good old Nexus Psile it makes me believe Streacom was a direct continuation from Nexus. Nexus seemed defunct from about 2009...and Streacom started in 2010. They're also both from Holland.

The Psile from 2006 seems a promising first but somewhat failed attempt. The Psile to me still is the most gorgeous case out there but the thermals were horrible. Had to modify it by perforating the top part of the case but now it's a case I never want to part from.

Perhaps Google offered them a good amount of cash to take over the naming rights of the Nexus brand? The first Nexus phone was released in 2010, right when Nexus disappeared and Streacom started.

Might be a story worth pursuing?

Last edited:
Reactions: confusis