Power Supply HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

icekxg

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 12, 2018
I've read enough of the forum to see people suggesting to use the +$400 780w power adapter, but I started to question everything when I seen a review on Amazon for the 1080ti mini. Here's his review:

"S4 MINI Build 2017
CASE: S4 Mini
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Strix Z270i
GRAPHICS CARD: ZOTAC GTX 1080 ti 11GB GDDR5X (ZT-P10810G-10P)
CPU: i7-7700k
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-L9I LGA115X
DDR4 RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4-3200MHz
SSD STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SATAIII
POWER SUPPLY: HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX nanoATX Series
POWER SUPPLY: DELL 330W AC Adapter

I game on a Acer Predator Z35P bmiphz 35" Curved 1800R QHD (3440x1440) NVIDIA G-SYNC VA Monitor

Easily hit 120 fps (120hz) at Ultra settings on 1440p (3440 x 1440).

Love it."

Thought I'd be safe. Gave it a shot since I'm gaming on a 1080p monitor. No dice.

Reactions: Broxin

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've read enough of the forum to see people suggesting to use the +$400 780w power adapter, but I started to question everything when I seen a review on Amazon for the 1080ti mini. Here's his review:

"S4 MINI Build 2017
CASE: S4 Mini
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Strix Z270i
GRAPHICS CARD: ZOTAC GTX 1080 ti 11GB GDDR5X (ZT-P10810G-10P)
CPU: i7-7700k
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-L9I LGA115X
DDR4 RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4-3200MHz
SSD STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SATAIII
POWER SUPPLY: HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX nanoATX Series
POWER SUPPLY: DELL 330W AC Adapter

I game on a Acer Predator Z35P bmiphz 35" Curved 1800R QHD (3440x1440) NVIDIA G-SYNC VA Monitor

Easily hit 120 fps (120hz) at Ultra settings on 1440p (3440 x 1440).

Love it."

Thought I'd be safe. Gave it a shot since I'm gaming on a 1080p monitor. No dice.
Issue of the 780w adapter is simply noise...hair dryer style..:)

icekxg

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 12, 2018
I just don't think I want something that huge. MarcParis are you sure the HDPLEX 160w+400w would be a struggle? Is that even possible to put those two together? Is it worth trying out the Dynamo 360+160 that AMv8-1day mentioned?

It's looking like I'm going to have to switch cases and goto a SFX PSU, but I'm willing to try any suggestions.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I just don't think I want something that huge. MarcParis are you sure the HDPLEX 160w+400w would be a struggle? Is that even possible to put those two together? Is it worth trying out the Dynamo 360+160 that AMv8-1day mentioned?

It's looking like I'm going to have to switch cases and goto a SFX PSU, but I'm willing to try any suggestions.
160w+400W should work better than what you have.
Please don't forget that weakest link is not HDplex 400W, it's the Dell 330W brick.

Definitely if you can check G unique modded 400W/450W, it should help to tame GTX 1080ti.
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...bto-psus-are-now-available-direct-order.1983/

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
@MarcParis is right. Your AC-DC solution is the bottleneck. Regardless of your DC-DC combo, if you want to keep the case and avoid the crazy server PSUs, you're still going to have to get the GPU's peak wattage down.

Cuts to power on the other components would help as well, if all you are concerned with is gaming, you shouldn't see a bottleneck even if you step down to a i5-7500T.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

I got another idea but I don’t know if anyone this before with dual 160w+400w dc-dc with 240w and 330w ac-dc dell psu :
  • Plug 160w to motherboard 24pins and 6pins gpu
  • Plug 400w to gpu 8pins and cpu 8pins
Maybe it could help peak management, splitting charge on 2 psu.

R4H8E

Caliper Novice
Sep 10, 2018
I took these right before I left for work. I can take better ones tomorrow.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Would be great, from the consumer point of view, if Larry releases some kind of changelog after every revision on his adapters...

I mean, why do we need to know if this is the model Ver.1.6 or Ver.1.9.13 if there's no known difference between models?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Penguin

Trash Compacter
Jul 25, 2018
Would be great, from the consumer point of view, if Larry releases some kind of changelog after every revision on his adapters...

I mean, why do we need to know if this is the model Ver.1.6 or Ver.1.9.13 if there's no known difference between models?

I know that there is a "new self lock socket" on it (which caused a weeks delay). Still waiting to recieve my 1.6 unit.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I know that there is a "new self lock socket" on it (which caused a weeks delay). Still waiting to recieve my 1.6 unit.
This is exactly my point:

you know it because the info is widely available at the vendor's site/forum or because someone said it to you?

Penguin

Trash Compacter
Jul 25, 2018
This is exactly my point:

you know it because the info is widely available at the vendor's site/forum or because someone said it to you?

I know it because Larry said it in an email.

I don't think it matters that much though. Functionality should be the same and while a change log is nice, it also doesn't tell us too much with full electric schemes and such, which would make the product easily copyable

narolad

Trash Compacter
Sep 21, 2018
I also just got the same looking one as posted above, labelled version 1.6. Not sure if the 330w brick is to blame, but when I plugged it all up, it fried the GPU. Motherboard and its components appear to be fine (using a regular PSU), but not sure what to look or where to test to figure out if it's the brick at fault or something with the hdplex400w.

I remember reading there were some issues, but I can't find the post anymore.

Edit: Managed to get GPU alive again, all computer components seem fine. Just need to figure out what's going on with it now.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I also just got the same looking one as posted above, labelled version 1.6. Not sure if the 330w brick is to blame, but when I plugged it all up, it fried the GPU. Motherboard and its components appear to be fine (using a regular PSU), but not sure what to look or where to test to figure out if it's the brick at fault or something with the hdplex400w.

I remember reading there were some issues, but I can't find the post anymore.
Welcome to the forum!

Fried the GPU? Sounds like you had a siliflex riser installed incorrectly if it's in an S4 Mini. But then that's just the issue I'm familiar with :) doubt the 330 brick would have harmed it, power has to go through the HDPlex first before the GPU gets ahold of it. Hmm.

narolad

Trash Compacter
Sep 21, 2018
It looks like the ground wire from the 8 pin GPU cable carried the overload directly to the GPU. It smoked and melted within seconds of plugging in the brick, didn't even have time to hit the power button on the case.

@Biowarejak I doublechecked the riser connections just in case. Arrows are pointing to the motherboard, direction for that was correct based on the labelling.

Last edited:

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I know it because Larry said it in an email.

(...)full electric schemes and such, which would make the product easily copyable

I'm not asking for deep enginering speech about the changes.

I'm asking for a few lines that could justify the R&D work. "reduced coil whine", "improved over current peak" or even "fixed a critical harmful bug", so i can stop risking my components with something that the developer discovered harmful.

I heartily don't think I'm asking for much more than what could be considered fair and important for both lary and the community.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I'm not asking for deep enginering speech about the changes.

I'm asking for a few lines that could justify the R&D work. "reduced coil whine", "improved over current peak" or even "fixed a critical harmful bug", so i can stop risking my components with something that the developer discovered harmful.

I heartily don't think I'm asking for much more than what could be considered fair and important for both lary and the community.
"Changelog" is a software engineering term. I never heard of hardware companies using "changelog", ever, let alone consumer facing.

Hardware have precise ratings, intended purposes, feature sets. Not the same with software. Software needs infrastructure, migration paths between versions, backward compatibility. A hardware product can coexist between versions and companies even still offering old versions because there's still demand for it. If a version does not do its job, it's a failed product and a recall will follow if not lawsuits. You can't issue an update, well not like a fix is unheard of, but you know...

It's already a physical product, any disclosure would make a product easily copyable. You don't even need reverse engineering.

Ver 1.0 change C3 to 1.0uF. We now use x inductor cause the board's daughter married a guy from x company.
Ver 1.1a split the 5V rail from the main rail. Waiting if testers fried any bench.

It doesn't work. Internally, of course. But an ee should be able to compare circuit diagram between versions without a "changelog" to walk him through.

Edit:
There should be no 'risk of harming your components when the devs found something harmful'. A failure in hardware is a failure, only lawsuits and recalls follow. A hardware should perform its function within its intended ratings and usage and purpose. It is never as forgivinf as software.