Concept HDPlex 400W AC-DC External Enclosure

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Quite a few people have asked, so I did a bit of CAD, and came up with this:

imgur.com/a/zeC9YJw

Intended to be 3D printed, with a cover on both ends of the HDPlex Case, supporting a push/pull fan config, with a C6 inlet on one end and a hole on the other for DC output.

Some issues that need to be solved:

Bad airflow: Solution- custom endplate with bigger cable holes and fan hole
No room for cables: Longer endcaps+ custom endplate

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

DarkCanuck

Average Stuffer
Jun 28, 2018
I am very interested. I love the idea of not having to mount the AC-DC unit inside of a DAN-A4 build; it will make the build I'm planning even cleaner then it was going to be.

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I am very interested. I love the idea of not having to mount the AC-DC unit inside of a DAN-A4 build; it will make the build I'm planning even cleaner then it was going to be.
Glad to hear it! Any suggestions?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
For one of the end-caps, there isn't enough clearance for the rather large wire to wire connector unless you exclude the fan. Although HDPLEX recommends the fan near the AC wiring, it would be probably best to place the fan in the front instead. I'd avoid having users mess with the wiring as much as possible. I don't own a unit, but I'd also check to make sure you have enough space for everything.

Also, where is the fan connector located?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
For one of the end-caps, there isn't enough clearance for the rather large wire to wire connector unless you exclude the fan. Although HDPLEX recommends the fan near the AC wiring, it would be probably best to place the fan in the front instead. I'd avoid having users mess with the wiring as much as possible. I don't own a unit, but I'd also check to make sure you have enough space for everything.

Also, where is the fan connector located?

The endcaps are both the same length, so theoretically you could have fans in a push-pull config. The wiring issue is something I'm working on, but it appears that any compact solution will require custom wiring. There's enough room to use the stock wiring, running the cables through the endcaps.
Fan connector is located on the left-hand end at the very bottom by the mounting ears. I need to check clearance on that.

For those that have a fear of custom wiring, I guess I could do it.

Reactions: Bask06

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Cant believe there Isn't more interest in this. I still want some endcaps!

There's some support on NFC Discord, but until I somehow get a 400W in hand to test, I really can't go any further.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
@Windfall : you have the requisite equipment (3d printer, etc) to build these caps? All you need is an actual hdplex unit?

I'm thinking of using one as an external brick myself (much beefier than the Dell bricks) - if all you need is a unit, I could volunteer to send you mine, have you experiment and finalize the caps, then send me the unit with caps once complete (I'd pay for the caps).

Thoughts?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
@Windfall : you have the requisite equipment (3d printer, etc) to build these caps? All you need is an actual hdplex unit?

I'm thinking of using one as an external brick myself (much beefier than the Dell bricks) - if all you need is a unit, I could volunteer to send you mine, have you experiment and finalize the caps, then send me the unit with caps once complete (I'd pay for the caps).

Thoughts?

Yes, I have a 3D printer, and could easily prototype them, but fitment testing, specifically wires, is a whole other issue that I could only address with an on-hand unit. If you would pay shipping both ways, you could have the endcaps no charge. DM me if you're cool with that. I had posted, looking for a dead unit for fitment testing, but I guess they're too well built.

Something to note is that I won't be able to do thermal testing, as my current WS tops out at 135W of draw max, and I don't have a 400W DC-ATX.
So yeah, I need one just for fitment.

Reactions: jetmanblack

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Sounds good, I'll let you know. But yeah, I'd just ask Larry to ship to you direct, and then you could experiment as needed.

Just so you know though - I just signed up on Josh's Discord (think I've seen you there too...?) and there's been a few ideas thrown around there that might allow me to just stuff the HDPLEX inside the S4M while keeping my Zotac 2060. I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Sounds good, I'll let you know. But yeah, I'd just ask Larry to ship to you direct, and then you could experiment as needed.

Just so you know though - I just signed up on Josh's Discord (think I've seen you there too...?) and there's been a few ideas thrown around there that might allow me to just stuff the HDPLEX inside the S4M while keeping my Zotac 2060. I'll keep you posted.

Yeah, just DM me if/when you're ready.