Prototype Alternatives to HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX

Hampa

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Hello!

I'm trying to find a small form factor PSU that would give me at least 400W. I dont want a big SFX one, and I stupidly already bought an INNO3D RTX 2070 twin so I can't really decrease the power I need. What I could find here is that the
HDPLEX 400W AC-DC and their HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX seem to be my only option but that one isn't possible to buy right now it seems.

I'm building the case myself so the size isn't specific though I want it as small as possible and all the SFX I find seem to be to square. Is there any alternatives at all for a 400W+ build without using external power?

I have been looking on this forum a lot the past week, there's plenty information and I'm grateful for everything I'ave been able to learn from you guys so far trying to find a solution and ides for my first ITX build! I just decided to join since there seem to be a lot of great minds and knowledge here and that conquered my fear of forums. This is my first post ever... pretty much on any forum anywhere... so I feel like I better say I'm sorry for any mistakes I'ave made with this post.

Reactions: Elerek

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
Hello!

I'm trying to find a small form factor PSU that would give me at least 400W. I dont want a big SFX one, and I stupidly already bought an INNO3D RTX 2070 twin so I can't really decrease the power I need. What I could find here is that the
HDPLEX 400W AC-DC and their HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX seem to be my only option but that one isn't possible to buy right now it seems.

if you had a case that was over 62mm tall, & over 322mm long, you could build a 550W system using MeanWell power units.

however, such a case is only possible by either custom-ordering it, or modifying a standard case.

Last edited:

Hampa

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Thanks for your reply!

Well i'm building it so having to find one is not going to be a problem. It's going to be around 360 mm long though I would prefer if the psu wasn't the length of that. I don't want it to be much broader then 4-5 cm on one side though. Found this : https://seasonic.com/l1u
Could that work? Don't seem to find any ITX build with it. My mother board is the Asrock x470-itx.

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
I'm building the case myself so the size isn't specific though I want it as small as possible

i bought a prototype case from an internet forum, a while ago, but never used it.

it measures around 360mm X 235mm X 65mm.

if you want this prototype case, i would be willing to part with it.

Hampa

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Thank you for your input but that is not really an alternative to the hdplex, with that I understand that I would have to use 2 cables? Or a splitter I suppose, though still i haven't read any good things about using a separate PSU for the GPU...
It's a no on the seasonic AU1 LU1 I linked? Do i need another controller card for that one?

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
with that I understand that I would have to use 2 cables? Or a splitter I suppose, though still i haven't read any good things about using a separate PSU for the GPU

as stated before, this has been discussed on this forum previously.

my MeanWell solution i mentioned has already been proven to work.

the only reason it wasn't above 400W, is because their case wasn't over 62mm height, which i said above.

if your case is taller than 62mm, it will work, please see here - https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...0-and-i8700k-dual-psu.7519/page-3#post-108191

Hampa

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Yeah that was a good thread, but as I said I still didn't want to use 2 PSUs. Though I screwed up big time and bought that AU1 since it was available here in sweden where I live and it didn't even have a 8pin pcie connector only 6 pin so that wasn't so great. ..

Hampa

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I did some soldering and got it running with a 8 pin. I mean the PSU should be of good enough quality to handle it and the cables seem thick enough, been running for a few hours and doesn't seem to be any problems. A GUnique is not a solution since that would mean having a external brick, which is exactly what I do not want. Also read about it and it didn't meet my other criteria with their max on 400W...

Hampa

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Well i'm building a case or several and I'm going to change it out so the parts aren't really that dependent on the case more the other way around I want to be able to make it as small as the parts will allow. That one looks good, though yeah the price seems hefty. Really like the size of it! Most definitely gonna look more on that one! Thanks for the tip :D

Reactions: Elerek

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Well i'm building a case or several and I'm going to change it out so the parts aren't really that dependent on the case more the other way around I want to be able to make it as small as the parts will allow. That one looks good, though yeah the price seems hefty. Really like the size of it! Most definitely gonna look more on that one! Thanks for the tip :D
NP, it's definitely compact for 750 watts plat rating :)
Three things to note:
1. You'll want to replace the fan, the screamer it comes with is very loud. I replaced it with a 40mm noctua fan.
2. It only outputs 12v, so you'd still need a dc-dc adapter for the 24pin motherboard connector. Mine is powering a gunique unit right now.
3. It's a hotswap unit so it uses a slot in pcb connector, I'll try to find the female connector for it on mouser tonight, I don't remember the part number.

here's some pics of when I first built the test board for using them as just 12v power supplies

Reactions: Hampa

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
NP, it's definitely compact for 750 watts plat rating :)
Three things to note:
1. You'll want to replace the fan, the screamer it comes with is very loud. I replaced it with a 40mm noctua fan.
2. It only outputs 12v, so you'd still need a dc-dc adapter for the 24pin motherboard connector. Mine is powering a gunique unit right now.
3. It's a hotswap unit so it uses a slot in pcb connector, I'll try to find the female connector for it on mouser tonight, I don't remember the part number.

here's some pics of when I first built the test board for using them as just 12v power supplies
Found the part: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/649-10035388-102LF

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
what you're tying to do, has already been discussed on this forum, on multiple occasions.

basically, you need this to provide 350W to your GPU - https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/UHP-350-12?qs=YCa/AAYMW02cFj7jdWPfHA==

while if you have a 12V DC-DC unit, this provides 200W to your motherboard - https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/RPS-200-12-C?qs=jRFAGhNBpj9vanBsj8iTeA==

I just purchased the Mean Well RPS-200-12-C.
Its form factor is not so lucky but the unit is very small.
I tested it measuring 95W at wall for a couple of hours. The unit gets hot. I mean really hot.
Everything run smoothly but it was hotter than anything I tested before.

this is the image in a Modivio case.
https://i.imgur.com/XTIuKal.jpg

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
The Meanwell can be run passively up to a 140W load. But that value decreases with chassis temperature. In such a small chassis, I wouldn't run it passively.

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2018
thanks, yes I see it in the pdf.

Meanwell need to fix their security certificate too ,. . . my browser would not let me directly access it,