Discussion HDplex 250w GaN Coil whine

djjones

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
Any advice would be much appreciated.

So I got a Gan250w about a month or so back and I noticed what I assume to be coil whine/noise interference through my headset (really high pitched noise), it's only just audible from the actual psu, but I can hear it quite clearly if I have my headset on and have no sound playing on my desktop, plus my friends have said they can hear it in game vc and discord when I speak. Now I realise that this can sometimes just happen with a psu, but I haven't seen too many complaints about it with this psu, and this is actually an RMA unit as my first shorted (possibly my fault but Larry is fantastic and replaced it) and since I have heard it on both psu's, I am thinking that its a problem with something else in my setup (motherboard?) that just cant handle this psu for some reason. It stopped for a few weeks but I rebuilt my setup in an old case it has started again.

Is there any way to fix this or any solutions, even if I don't mind putting up with it, its getting on the nerves of people I play with (someone asked if I was boiling a kettle in my headset).

I saw another post from a few years ago where someone said something about cutting and taping the ground wire from their IEC C14 connector and it stopping coil whine on a different Hdplex unit but I don't know if this is safe or a good idea (I have a spare connector due to the RMA so wouldn't be worried about damaging one as long as it wouldn't risk damaging the actual unit). Any advice would be appreciated as at the moment I am just starting to think this PSU and my motherboard aren't compatible.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
USB SOUND CARD WITH A DAC OR SEPARATE devices AND WHAT ABOUT SPDIF, if non-existant must be a low-end board which would account for low-end audio....
Note if you do not list components when you ask a question it is hard to respond accurately
just before high-end , there are cheaper cards: no dac card you should have the DAC to filter out any noise so it would need to be separate using just a card.
A lot of newer boards are running audio through USB chipset rather than PCIe so doing an external USB soundcard is basically the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

djjones

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
Ah okay, I have an asrock b460m-itx motherboard with a 10400f and a 4060, I was using a (probably bad) Metalfish flex psu for the last couple years before switching to the hdplex which was had no audio problems

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
USB SOUND CARD WITH A DAC OR SEPARATE devices AND WHAT ABOUT SPDIF, if non-existant must be a low-end board which would account for low-end audio....
Note if you do not list components when you ask a question it is hard to respond accurately
just before high-end , there are cheaper cards: no dac card you should have the DAC to filter out any noise so it would need to be separate using just a card.
A lot of newer boards are running audio through USB chipset rather than PCIe so doing an external USB soundcard is basically the same.
Apparently you haven't shopped current gen it boards. SPDIF is very uncommon regardless of it being a high or low end board

Last edited by a moderator:

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
A 250 watt peak PS with miniCruise Ship GPU and gaming... I am surprised you haven't melted the 250
CPU 65-watt max TDP, plus your ram draw, and NVME..
"Starting with power consumption, the RTX 4060 has a nominal TGP (Total Graphics Power) of 115W. However, the Asus RTX 4060 Dual OC appears to have a slightly higher power limit of around 130W, based on testing."
Have you ever touched the PS just after a long gaming session? but still better than Metalfish. (assuming fish was not a 750)
Your card uses an 8-pin connector for a good reason because a 6-pin cannot safely deliver the voltage required.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
"Apparently, you haven't shopped current gen it boards. SPDIF is very uncommon regardless of it being a high or low end board."
I do not buy low-end unless it is just for a challenge build. You get what you pay for! Excluding Asus...and Nvidia.

djjones

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
You manage to make everything sound like an insult lol but I'm greatful for your help. First up yeah I didn't buy super high end board cause I got this when I was a student and also didn't know as much about PCs then. Asrock is a reputable brand and I hadn't realized this was such a low end board at the time but that was like 3 years ago and I've never had a problem until this. Secondly how would the 250w melt from those components you listed, it has a spike temp or whatever it's called up to 300w I have stress tested it using power draw with occt and it's absolutely fine. The cpu as a 65w chip boost up to around 115w for a short time when doing that and the GPU sits around 118w but that's an unrealistic gaming scenario because the CPU can only boost for like a minute at that tdp and rarely they are both at max power draw at the same time when gaming.

Last edited:

djjones

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
On a side note I have noticed that the high pitched noise actually comes from the area where the audio jacks are, and the cmos button is very close to that (idk if that matters). Also the high pitch noise doesn't occur in bios only when it gets past that stage towards booting into windows

djjones

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
Okay ignore my last comment, the high pitch sound is still there is bios it just isn't passing through the headset until I get into windows I assume because audio drivers or something like that🤦‍♂️

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
You are correct no audio drivers are present when accessing bios and/or up until the lock screen. You might look for a newer version audio driver, strip the old driver completely with Revo portable (as a trial) try station-drivers for the latest driver location, this assumes it is Realtek or something similar and is not using additional audio-enhancing software driver/app. StationDriver is a French site so navigation may be a little odd. You can also use CCleaner Pro trial and use Driver Updater but this will not strip old driver info left in the registry. So if noise is not present at bios level try a 18 dollar USB audio card as a test and see if whine is still present as you will be using a generic MS audio driver after the car is recognized and then hood to you headset. Soundblaster USB card You can always use it with a Laptop as they have some of the cheapest audio chipsets around unless they a full-on custom Gaming Laptop. Downloading a codec from Realtek is a long vacation in torturetown.

djjones

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
I have tried it both in and out of the chassis. I can't upload images for some reason. I have uploaded the images to imgur and taken the link from that but it still says 'image cannot be loaded from the passed link'.

SFFMunkee

Buy first, justify later?
Gold Supporter
Jul 7, 2021
Maybe try posting the album or image link instead?

I didn't notice any coil whine with my 250W GaN but it I haven't tested the replacement one yet after the first one failed.
I was happily running a 5600G/RTX4060 from it, and I'm currently using a "FSP" (but really Metalfish) Flex PSU until I have the chance to swap the new GAN unit back in.

What case are you running in? What headset/microphone do you have?

djjones

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022

I doubt these are all too useful to be honest, the pictures of the pc are with my old flex psu in but the hdplex was just in the same place as the flex is, but I've tried it inside and out the case (densium 4+), and there's no difference anyway. My normal headset is an Arctis 3 Bluetooth but wired in but I've also tried that with other headphones and I've tried using a front panel audio connector salvaged from an old case, still here the noise. The video has audio but also picks up noise generally, not sure where from becaue theres no other noise in real life, but you can just about hear the high pitch noise in the background when I hold it near the pc. It comes from both the PSU and from the area near the audio jacks. I have also tried with the same headset plugged in via USB and can still hear the audio.
Since I had spare cables I tried cutting the ground wire on the secondary iec14 connector because I saw an old post about someone removing ground and getting rid of coil whine, plus Larry asked if I could 'try using a two prong AC plug'. Tbh wasn't hundred percent sure what that meant but I guessed trying without ground, but can still here the noise anyway.
Im lost at this ppint maybe it is a fault in the unit, i dont have a way to test with a different pc/motherboard at the moment so thats basically the only thing i can think of but havent tried yet.