Power Supply HDPLEX 250W alternative - What would you like to see?

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016
I really like the Picobox X-300 but I have some style suggestions.
FIrstly: The black circuit board is great. Secondly: the non-soldered and movable power cable is a great and necessary improvement.
Suggestions
1. Please revert to using the old black plastic female cable connecting pieces that were on the original. The white ones look cheap and unsightly.
2. Please make an all-black cable option. The multi-colored cables are cheesy.
3. Please make a shorter ATX cable as an option for space saving. The market lacks good premade SFF short ATX cables. You could even manufacture them and sell them separately.

NatCat

What's an ITX?
Aug 20, 2016
Hello everyone!

I have a question for Frank about this new PSU. I personally love what you did with this PSU and hope to have it in my next system :)

Is there an efficiency rating on this PSU (e.g 80 Plus)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

FrankTang

Cable Smoosher
PICO-BOX
May 7, 2016
Hello everyone!

I have a question for Frank about this new PSU. I personally love what you did with this PSU and hope to have it in my next system :)

Is there an efficiency rating on this PSU (e.g 80 Plus)?

Thanks!

80PLUS is for the traditional AC-DC ATX power where the whole efficiency is larger than 80%. For DC-DC PSU, the efficiency is larger than 94%. Accounting for the efficiency of the AC-DC power adapter, the whole efficiency can easily exceed 80%.

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
Just placed an order for the Picobox X-300 from Frank. I'll let you guys know when I receive it and run some tests as well.
Thanks again to Frank for the great communication!

Reactions: Curiosity

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
1.) The Pico Box product is rated at 300W vs. TheHDPlex's 250W. And yet the peak for the Pico Box ~350W in proportion to the 400W peak of the HDPlex. Just curious why the differences in peak and rated wattages.

When I start the development with the first DAN Case A4 version, it was the idea to use a DC-DC board. In this time I worked together with HDPlex and PicoBox Factory and test their prodocts. I found out that the Dell 330W 19v power supply can handle up to 420W if you set the center pin to ground. In early versions of the HD Plex and PicoBox DCDC boards the center pin was set to V+. With set to V+ the 330W version is limited to 250W. So i soldered it to ground and shared my information with them.

I found out if you are cooling both of them active they can handle up to 420W. This is the reason why you see on Larrys HDPlex page 420w.

Here is my old review in german: https://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1294120

makiasd

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
So this a series of questions for both Frank and Larry to have a crack at should they care to.

1.) The Pico Box product is rated at 300W vs. The HDPlex's 250W. And yet the peak for the Pico Box ~350W in proportion to the 400W peak of the HDPlex. Just curious why the differences in peak and rated wattages.

2.) The Pico Box costs $20.00 less than the HDPlex. Is the difference in price reflected in the difference of quality in components used? If so, would one (or both of you) care to explain to me the advantages or disadvantages of your unit when compared to your competitor's unit please?

3.) How do the thermal solutions on your two products differ. I see the thermal pad solution that Frank is using, but am unsure if HDPlex is using a similar or different solution. If it is different, why and for what reason?

Thanks guys!
I would love to know the answer to 2) and 3), i'm a first time buyer and there's not much differentiating the two besides price and cable length.

I am thinking using 20-25cm softer 24PIN cable in the next batch. 45cm is indeed a little bit too long even for my H5 case and there is always ATX extension cable if needed...
How about the length for other cable?
I am planing to change the ATX cable/8PIN cable to this type for next batch.

Are you still planning on shortening and changing the cables for the next batch?

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
This just in! Hopefully it fits in my NFC S3 case.....I'll be able to check it out after work later tonight

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Looks nice! Seems to be roughly the same dimensions as the 250W HD-PLEX if not a bit longer. The cables might take used to cramming them in...

papa_whiskey

What's an ITX?
Oct 31, 2016
According to this website, the Xbox 360 power bricks are rated up to 245W continuous power. I'd sure like to see an adapter so I could use an Xbox power brick, since they can be had for far cheaper than those dell units, especially on the second-hand market.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Interesting for eGPU use ! Maybe the plug is compatible straight-away or it would just need a new connector. But as a complete AC/DC package, that's quite nice.

Reactions: Runamok81

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
Sorry for the late reply....sooo unfortunately the PicoBox 300w did not fit in the NFC S3 Mini case. I tried every which way but it is impossible to get the 24pin power connector to fit anywhere in the case. I had to resort to switching my 165xt Pico PSU from my surveillance system into the NFC S3 and then placing the PicoBox 300w in my surveillance system pc.

Reactions: Soul_Est

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Sorry for the late reply....sooo unfortunately the PicoBox 300w did not fit in the NFC S3 Mini case. I tried every which way but it is impossible to get the 24pin power connector to fit anywhere in the case. I had to resort to switching my 165xt Pico PSU from my surveillance system into the NFC S3 and then placing the PicoBox 300w in my surveillance system pc.

That's some really sad news... but are you going to try the PSU outside that case?
I mean, are you going to do any review on picobox, despite the fact that it doesnt fit your rig?

Last edited: