Power Supply HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX direct plug

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hopefully it's just a fluke, but Pin 12 (one of the 3.3V) on mine failed after getting the system to POST once and now I can't get any video with it. I'm sending it back for testing.

Reactions: Phuncz

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I know you haven't had a chance to hook them up yet but what does the overall build quality look like close up? Happy with them?

They look great. They arrive well-packed in protective foam and from my brief look at them, nothing looks shawdy in the way they are constructed. I've got two and will test them both in my system if I get a chance to throw them in next week.

Reactions: ricochet

Alekz

Case Bender
Jan 30, 2017
Since not everybody is on the HD-PLEX forum, reposting here.

The new 160W PSU from Larry (HD-PLEX) is fantastic. It's built like a rock and it's stable like a rock (I would change the cabling, because I do not use the 5V peripheral cable, but it's a different story). Received it a week ago, here's it's connected to the tester:

And these are measurements of two pico-sized PSU's from a company called pico-box.com (also on Aliexpress), who claimed that they make HD-PLEX clones, and that their 160W PSU can supply 200W. The first one was severely overheating (HD-PLEX 240 does not even get warm) and burnt my computer (the CPU is replaced, awaiting a new MB :( )

Then they sent me a replacement:

It did not shut itself down on the tester, but was not stable either. When I complained again, and asked if they actually test their production, they answered:"Others like it. If you don't like, send it back". However, they did not respond when I asked their postal address.

What I was going to say is:

o- do test the power supplies before connecting them to the real equipment, regardless the manufacturer
o- I really like HD-PLEX stuff and their support.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I've been running the HDPLEX 160 with a Dell 330w for a week.

The first half of the week I ran the internal AC-DC 150 unit with a 1050ti and a overclocked 7600K. This last part of the week I have been running the 1070MINI off a Dell 330. It does need active cooling for the 1070 for prolonged gaming, but is rock solid if you can get airflow over it. I'm not advocating that and always recommend following the manufacturer's guidelines, but holy cow is it a great unit. The PICO 160XT can do the same, but not safely without a tricky re-wiring. The cables on the HDPLEX 160 stay room temperature even with the heaviest loads at all points.

I'll be testing a 1080 build off it next weekend.

The future is now!

Last edited:

Alekz

Case Bender
Jan 30, 2017
Wow... That's promising... How much can you get from this PSU without active cooling? Approximately? I was fanlessly running 6700K (no OC, no GC) with the old HD-PLEX 160W, and the PSU was just a bit warm. I'm thinking about adding a 1050 or something...

Reactions: ricochet

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
That will be part of my conclusion; gotta get one video out at a time. Releasing the IS-VC45 video tonight or tomorrow.

With no active cooling the 1070 it will climb to about 102C on the chokes and then you will BSOD. Just doing CAD work installed with the 6700K and the 1070 (which sleeps during normal PC work) they are a cool 40C. With a fan over them even with the 1070 they stay pretty cool, but I don't notice any wire heat.

Unfortunately I am in the process of buying a higher resolution thermal camera so I don't have my old one, but my Fluke laser is pretty accurate, just slower to record everything.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Since not everybody is on the HD-PLEX forum, reposting here.

The new 160W PSU from Larry (HD-PLEX) is fantastic. It's built like a rock and it's stable like a rock (I would change the cabling, because I do not use the 5V peripheral cable, but it's a different story). Received it a week ago, here's it's connected to the tester:

What I was going to say is:

o- do test the power supplies before connecting them to the real equipment, regardless the manufacturer
o- I really like HD-PLEX stuff and their support.

Thank you for sharing this info! Received my 160W DC-ATX Direct-Plug and 80W Internal AC-DC yesterday! However, I am still patiently waiting for the custom SFX Bracket that Larry is making for me after the Chinese New Year celebrations have subsided.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So after a couple days of synthetics I had really had to launch some actual games to see if the 1070 was going to remain stable with active cooling...the problem is finding time to play a game long enough to test anything (as the built in benchmarks from different games were passing).

Got in a match with MWO and it bombed after about 15 mins. Same for Overwatch. It wasn't a heat issue though, and I am using a 6700K at 4.2GHz, so there might be room for tuning.

Of course what I am doing is completely out of the scope of the HDPLEX 160 by a MILE, so if anything this just demonstrates the durability of the unit. I'm excited for the 1060 because that is the real target and I bet money (obviously, I bought one!) that it will be rock solid.

All that being said...I betchu I can get this system tuned to be stable on this unit. :D

hdplex

Caliper Novice
HDPLEX
Apr 17, 2016
www.hd-plex.com
OCP is set at 20A for CPU EPS+PCIExpress 12V rail combined on the 160W DC-ATX.
The design target is to support card like GTX1050 where total system power consumption peak around 200W and avg around 150W during 3D gaming.
I guess it might make it for an underclocked GTX1060.

If the 160W DC-ATX could stably sustain a i7+GTX1070, it is time to discontinue the 300W DC-ATX lol;)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
OCP is set at 20A for CPU EPS+PCIExpress 12V rail combined on the 160W DC-ATX.
The design target is to support card like GTX1050 where total system power consumption peak around 200W and avg around 150W during 3D gaming.
I guess it might make it for an underclocked GTX1060.

If the 160W DC-ATX could stably sustain a i7+GTX1070, it is time to discontinue the 300W DC-ATX lol;)

Yes! Always use the right tool for the job!

...If anyone needs me I will be in that corner carving a cast iron engine block with a pocket knife.

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
@Josh | NFC
Can't wait for your video tryout of the Hdplex 160W.
I really hope it can run my Rx470(120W TDP) + I5-6500 using a 240W dell brick.
Than i can get rid of my FlexATX and the 24pin..

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Dec 2, 2016
@Josh | NFC
Can't wait for your video tryout of the Hdplex 160W.
I really hope it can run my Rx470(120W TDP) + I5-6500 using a 240W dell brick.
Than i can get rid of my FlexATX and the 24pin..
are you sure you can run RX470 and i5 6500 on a 240w brick and HDPlex 160 ?
you should be better off with HDPlex 300 and a 330w Brick as @Josh | NFC suggested.
anyway, you can try out the HDPlex 160 method and post your feedback, that would be great for everyone in this community.
Good Luck.

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
are you sure you can run RX470 and i5 6500 on a 240w brick and HDPlex 160 ?
you should be better off with HDPlex 300 and a 330w Brick as @Josh | NFC suggested.
anyway, you can try out the HDPlex 160 method and post your feedback, that would be great for everyone in this community.
Good Luck.
I am not sure at all. But i don't want to go with the HDPlex 300W, because i would have all the cables (again).
I guess if this does not power my RX470 i will just get a 1050Ti instead. I am not gaming so much after all. And in 1-2 years i will be able to get the RX470 performance again at 75W TDP.

Also the combination of HDPlex 300W + 330W brick will cost me (in germany) at least ~200€ (90€ for the hdplex, 110€ for the brick). For the other combination (with a used brick), i only pay about 80€.

edit:
Has anyone the new HDPlex 160W & the Z4-ATX-200 and can do a comparison? E.g. which is cooler at a similar load and which one is more efficient. Which one is more stable, etc.?

Last edited:

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Dec 2, 2016
I
I am not sure at all. But i don't want to go with the HDPlex 300W, because i would have all the cables (again).
I guess if this does not power my RX470 i will just get a 1050Ti instead. I am not gaming so much after all. And in 1-2 years i will be able to get the RX470 performance again at 75W TDP.

Also the combination of HDPlex 300W + 330W brick will cost me (in germany) at least ~200€ (90€ for the hdplex, 110€ for the brick). For the other combination (with a used brick), i only pay about 80€.

edit:
Has anyone the new HDPlex 160W & the Z4-ATX-200 and can do a comparison? E.g. which is cooler at a similar load and which one is more efficient. Which one is more stable, etc.?
I have the hdplex 160w and i am planning to build it with an i3 7100 and gtx 1060 6gb variant. Currently i am waiting for my mobo and cpu to be delivered. I will a video or a thread once i am done with my build.
If you have not purchased the cpu., Please use a low tdp cpu like an i3 or so. If yu are yet to purchase the gpu then i suggest you to get a nvidia cpu as it has a lower power consumption value assuming you are going with hdplex 160w.
I am not an nvidia fanboy but i am just telling you that if vega comes, it is going to be a new architecture and amd 400 series may go obsolete or may or may not have reasonable resale value.
Anyway this are just my thoughts. On the other hand, if you have friends in usa who are gonna visit you on a holiday or so, you can ask them to purchase it for you or freight ship to your address if possible.
Hdplex 160w is much better than z4 atx as it has dual rails and performs much better than z4. Btw, i have heard that z4 gets so hot that it often melts under heavy load. If you are in need of a pico style psu. I suggest to look at G-unique pico style psu at market section of this forum.