Power Supply HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX direct plug

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX "v4" is now available as of May 5, 2017!

Product page

Manufacturer Specs:

Wattage: 160W (200W Peak), >94% Efficiency

Feature:
  • 16V-24V wide range voltage input support, 8 layer DUAL Level copper PCB!
  • The only Direct Plug DC-ATX with PCI Express Rail 6+2PIN, supporting GTX950/GTX1050
  • The only Direct Plug DC-ATX with aluminum heatsink for stable operation
  • The only Direct Plug DC-ATX with user detachable dual 12V rail, perfect for DIY project
  • Top Quality German Würth Elektronik Inductance
  • CPU 12V+PCI Express 12V Support 15A with 20A Peak
Operating Temperature: -10°C to 70°C

Size: [dimensions on website are currently wrong, see below for accurate numbers]

SketchUp and STEP model available here

Input Voltage: 16V-24V DC

Input Connector: 7.4×5.0mm w/center PIN,45cm Input Cable with 4PIN Molex Female

Connector: 4+4PIN CPU EPS12V Cable (45cm)*1(Detachable),6+2PIN PCIExpress Cable (45cm)*1(Detachable), 4*SATA Power+1*Molex Cable(50cm)

Key Specification:

Output Voltage Max DC Current Full Load DC Current Output Voltage Tolerance Ripple Noise
(mVp-p,MAX)
+3.3V 7A 5A 1% 50mV
+5V 10A 7A 1% 60mV
+12V 20A 15A 1% 70mV
+5VSB 3A 0.5A 3% 30mV

Reviews:

SFF Network

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So just to be clear, the present model comes with an 4+4 pin PEG connector as well as some sort of connector for SATA with the 6 pin PCIe being possible? Also please make it clear to Larry that he should use all black Minifit Jr connectors. The beige/white ones are really unattractive.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
And black wiring. It's so nice that the PSU in the InWin Chopin came with all black cables for I/O and even the PSU was all-black wiring. Colored wires are of no use to anyone other than people who try to re-wire the PSU anyway, making the point of using colored wires moot in my opinion.

We really need a good DC-DC PSU, if this is the one, we now have a one-stop shop for AC-DC and DC-DC, with an optional ATX bracket to mount them on. And one of the better PCIe extenders for SFF use.

I also like than you can deal directly with them in US, Asia and Europe.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So just to be clear, the present model comes with an 4+4 pin PEG connector as well as some sort of connector for SATA with the 6 pin PCIe being possible? Also please make it clear to Larry that he should use all black Minifit Jr connectors. The beige/white ones are really unattractive.

Since it's the same wattage, I'd assume it's a similar set of connectors to the current 160W DC-ATX: 1x 24-pin, 1x 4+4pin CPU, 3x SATA, and 1x Molex. I'd think the connectors would be black where possible since the current units are like that as well.

And black wiring.

That's a good idea since they're soldered.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ok, so it will have black wires and the same set of connectors as the current 160W with maybe a 6-pin PCIe.

And regarding using it by itself for a GPU: "My engineer said the design goal is to have 5A on the PCIE 8PIN connector for normal usage and 10A on the CPU 8PIN 12V if nothing else is used. "

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
So that's 10A and 5A on 12V ?! 180W is nice if it's allowed to run the 12V lines solo. Wouldn't it be better to switch these around ? Or are they targeting X99 CPUs and overclocking ? It's a shame the 8-pin EPS isn't used to power PCIe cards or atleast it doesn't seem to work that way.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I think you misread Aibo's post. If I'm not mistaken it's 5A over 8 pin EPS if hooked up to a motherboard via 24-pin and 10A if going 19V in to single 8 pin out. What this essentially means is that if you can somehow put two units into the same build THEN you can hypothetically get 10A and 5A together in order to to power a GPU.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Ah yes, I see, so the 10A is for the EPS connector when nothing is having load (which is good) or 5A on the PCIe connector is possible when using "normal" hardware setups.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
My holy grail is still a Pico PSU DC-DC PSU that can send a PS_ON signal to a second DC-DC PSU for graphics cards

If you're willing to have a short 24-pin extension for the first DC-DC unit you could just split the PS_ON wires.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
True, but to me, the brilliance of the PicoPSU is that it sits on the motherboard to power it and peripherals saving cabling and space.
With a splitter you end up with the pico just hanging there and have two 24 wire bundles.

It works, but it isn't elegant.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
If you're willing to have a short 24-pin extension for the first DC-DC unit you could just split the PS_ON wires.
Or just snake an extra wire in for just PS_ON. An extremely low gauge wire (all that's needed) could literally just be stripped and poked in alongside the PicoPSU itself straight into the motherboard header, or it could be soldered to either the motherboard or the PicoPSU itself (e.g. right onto the exposed solder ball of the header pin 14).

Reactions: jeshikat

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
This is great news. I am looking forward to see how this turns out. Ill agree with ilovelampshade and Phuncz that the connectors and wiring should be black if possible.

As it seems likely this option will accept a wide voltage input range I am compelled to compare it to the Pico XT160. Besides the obvious advantage of having a very good selection of ac adapters to choose from, is it not also true that the conversion from the typical 19 volts of the AC adapter to 12 volts creates more heat?

As I have learned the XT160 simply passes the 12 volt rail directly from the AC adapter with minimal interference. Am I correct in assuming that this would create less stress/heat on the DC psu? The lack of heatsink on the XT160 seems to be an indication of that.

I hope someone on this forum will have a chance to review it soon. After reading all the bad experiences people have had with the Z4 this is very much needed I think.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
there is also the Add2PSU for people who dont fancy soldering or making / purchasing custom cables

Reactions: Phuncz

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
If this direct plug HD-PLEX does take wide input voltage as @Aibophobia says, that would add a whole lot convenience to my setup. I wouldn't need to buy yet another power brick for compatibility and it also still directly usable with its own internal 160W AC-DC power converter.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I'd be very interested in a pico style wide input HDPLEX. Honestly I'll probably buy it as soon as it comes out - I have the 160 watt dc-dc HDPLEX and having so much cable (mainly from the 24pin) has been a pain.

6 pin pcie would be extra nice too.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So Larry decided to make the unit a bit bigger to make room for a detachable wire harness (edit: PCIe and SATA are detachable, 8-pin CPU is hardwired according to @ilovelampshade), probably something similar to the PICO-BOX Z4-200-ATX.

But he also put beefier components on it and early testing was able to pull 280W (edit: misinterpreted, it's more like 200W) from the unit with passive cooling :D

Last edited: