Power Supply HDPlex 160W AC-DC News!

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
This is awesome news. Would would stuff like an m.2/faster ram be a bad idea and push the psu too far?

My build will be:
i7 7700(non-k)
Z270i
2x8gb 3200mhz ddr4
256gb m.2 drive
500gb ssd
6gb evga Gtx 1060 sc
400w hdplex dc-dc

And possibly a 1/2tb hdd if it isnt pushing it too far.

Also what do you think would be the best placement for the acdc unit in the new s4? Beside the gpu where power input cut outs are (but blocking the side vents) or between the gpu and front panel where it isn't blocking ventilation but may get some gpu exhaust onto it?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you're using the EVGA 1060 then the best place to put the AC-DC unit would be on the bottom of the case where there are actually mounting points for it. Also you would be better off using the HDPlex 160W/Dynamo Mini for your build than the HDPlex 400 IMO so you have more space for airflow etc (ie. way less cabling and power supply bulk).

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
If you're using the EVGA 1060 then the best place to put the AC-DC unit would be on the bottom of the case where there are actually mounting points for it. Also you would be better off using the HDPlex 160W/Dynamo Mini for your build than the HDPlex 400 IMO so you have more space for airflow etc (ie. way less cabling and power supply bulk).

Thanks for the reply. I already have a hdplex 400w and I gather it runs a bit cooler + isn't pressed up against the ram. With that said, it will essentially require custom cables which cost almost the same as just getting a 160w/dynamo mini lol.

I noticed on sfflab the restocking dates have passed on the dynamo mini, can I ask the current status on them? Also I have it in my head you are located in Canada (as am I), do they ship from Canada or from the HDplex warehouse (ie would shipping to Canada be cheaper, and if not could shipping on a 160w ac-dc be combined with the dynamo)?

Reactions: Soul_Est

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
They're both in stock and I am just waiting for SFFLab to update the website information to reflect this. All units are shipped globally free of charge, so being in Canada doesn't matter.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Hank0

Caliper Novice
Oct 13, 2017
Where can I find dimensions for the HDPLEX connectors?

I'm planning for a build and may use an external power source or mounting the power supply in the case.

What are the dimensions for the "3 prong plug" for the 160W PS and mounting screws. Secondly what is the dimensions for the 7.4x5mm power connect and mounting screws.

My HDPLEX and 160W PS should be here next week!

Thanks!

tmackerm

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2018
I asked this in the S4M thread, but it may be more appropriate here.

I've got all my parts together for my new S4M build except for the power supply. Given my system specs below can I get away with a brickless build using the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX & HDPLEX 160W AC-DC?

CPU: Intel i5-8400
Cooler: Noctua L9i
Motherboard: Asus Strix Z-370-I
RAM: 16GB Kingston
Storage: Samsung 850EVO 500GB x2
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 SC

Thanks

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Provided you don't tend to overclock that combo should handle the hardware you've listed very nicely.

chingi5

Caliper Novice
Feb 15, 2017
Where can I find dimensions for the HDPLEX connectors?

I'm planning for a build and may use an external power source or mounting the power supply in the case.

What are the dimensions for the "3 prong plug" for the 160W PS and mounting screws. Secondly what is the dimensions for the 7.4x5mm power connect and mounting screws.

My HDPLEX and 160W PS should be here next week!

Thanks!
Hey I do not have a caliper but I've tried my best to take measurements with a ruler.
So this is what I got:

1. The height of the 160w DC-DC unit when installed is 49mm from the top of motherboard to the top of the converter.
2. The 24-pin connector is 2mm away from the side of my motherboard, when the converter is installed it sticks out from the side around 9-10mm but if you plug in the SATA cables then add around 3-4mm so 15mm of free space should be enough if I'm not mistaken. This is only true if your motherboard has the same 24-pin connector location as mine.
3. Distance between centers of screw holes on the jack is about 20.5mm or a bit less than that. The hole diameter is 3mm.

I didn't quite understand what the 3 prong plug is though.
I would attach photos to make everything easier to understand but Imgur is blocked by my ISP.
And photos are potato quality anyway.
ATTENTION as I said above the measurements were taken with a ruler, not a caliper and I am very sleepy so I might be completely wrong.
I am sorry if I am.

Last edited:

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 25, 2017
@Kmpkt, So once again I'm struggeling with my GPU. Got a Zotac GTX 1080 Mini now but it pulls way more power then previous Gigabyte card which means the PC resets itself when under heavy graphical load. So I already have my HDplex 400w and was planning on a HDplex AC-DC 300w with the suggested EVGA GTX 1060 6B SC Gaming. But would that fit a Skyreach S4M since the HDplex AC-DC 300w is a bit larger and 1mm heigher then then 160w version?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey Bryce,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're not going to be able to pull that off an HDPlex 300W AC-DC internal in this build. The only place the 300W AC-DC will work with the S4M is on the bottom mounts, and only if you grind/sand down the sides which is not recommended. The S4M only allows the bottom mounting position to be used with a GPU of reference height (111.15mm) and the Zotac 1080 Mini is 125mm tall. If you want to run the S4M with an HDPlex 300W and the Zotac GPU you're going to have to use it as an external brick. This is how I chose to do my Timbre build which you can see here:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-s4-mini-182-timbre.1692/#post-73040

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 25, 2017
Hi @Kmpkt,

Think we got some miscommunication, I got the zotac gtx 1080 now but since this is another 1080 which isnt't good I'm planning on going to the EVGA gtx 1060 sc gaming which you suggeted in the start of this topic.

Only I already have a HDplex 400w which I want to use, so thats why the question if a HDplex AC-DC 300w would work as well with the EVGA card, due to the 300w AC-DC being a bit larger then the 160w version.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The 300W will work in that combination, but you'll have the thin it down to about 55mm from 57mm.

kaffi

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let you know that HDPlex is now offering a new and improved version of the HDPlex 160W AC-DC. While the previous iteration was only just able to handle 160W, the new one (possibly due to consistent harassment from a certain someone) is now able to handle the rated 160W very comfortably with peaks in excess of 200W.

What this means is that you can now pair this unit with your choice of the KMPKT Dynamo Mini or HDPlex 160W DC-ATX for a rock solid Nvidia GTX 1060 build with no compromises. Just in time for your brand new Brickless NFC S4M!

Also just so you know, if you plan to do a brickless 1060 build in the NFC S4M, your card cannot be overheight and still use the mounting points on the bottom of the case for the HDPlex 160W AC-DC. If you do have an overheight card, you will need to use tape based mounting on the front of the case, in front of the GPU. You cannot fit the 160W unit in front of the motherboard while using a Pico-style PSU as tolerances are too tight.

For the record, the perfect card for this build is the EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB.
would the cpu not matter? I have a 6600k with no overclocking. Will that be enough with a 1060?

Hank0

Caliper Novice
Oct 13, 2017
Was sooo happy to get my HDPLEX order in the mail today. All the components look like great quality however was really disappointed with the 7.4x5mm connector with only a single screw mount. The site shows a double screw mount which I believe will be more durable in the long run. Is it possible for HDPLEX to send me what is shown on the website?

Thanks!

Update: HDPLEX did indeed say this was a defect and will be sending a new part to me.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I would contact them directly at info@hd-plex.com

I believe that may be a faulty part. Their customer service is excellent, so I am certain they will be happy to help you ASAP.

Morris

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
Curious if you've tried this. It seems the power connector to the EVGA 1060 gets in the way of the HDPlex AC/DC adapter when aligned with the mounting points.

Also, have you tried the new AC/DC adapter successfully? I just tried the EVGA 1060 sc with the previous version. The PC restarts when under load. I'm assuming this is the cause, even though my CPU is a lower voltage "T" version.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The previous version of the AC-DC adapter has very conservative overcurrent protection (ie reason for resets). You'll need to get the new one to run this combo reliably at stock settings. If you want to save some money, you could try undervolting/underclocking both the CPU and GPU to see if you end up with a stable system.

Morris

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
Just ordered the new one. I appreciate you starting this thread! I'd never have known to reorder this adapter.