Motherboard Group Buy/Crowdfunded Modded BIOS for the Asrock A300m (Deskmini A300)

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
So I thought I'd start a dedicated thread so we could further flesh out the idea of a group of us pooling money to buy a custom bios for this board. So I'd like to start compling a list of desired features to add and a list of people interested and willing to commit. We can use this thread to discuss other potential features, and keep everyone updated on the progress.

People Currently interested:
@W4RR10R (me)​

Desired Features:
  • Support for non APU Ryzen CPUs (3700x,3600,2600,2700, 1000 series 65W TDP)
  • Overclocking for CPU and GPU (make the board X300 instead of A300)
  • ECC Memory Support
Bounty (potential):
Several members have offered money to compensate someone or maybe a group of people for their time and effort. If we were to go down this road we would use a third party escrow service to deal with any and all transaction, that way no one is holding all the money for everyone (I've been burned in the past) The running total is $500+ USD.

If you'd like to add your name to the list or have suggestions for features, I'm not certain of what is possible to add, reply to this thread.

Last edited:

nostyle

Caliper Novice
Jun 13, 2018
Might be worth bringing this up on the win raid forums also, they’re pretty into the bios modding stuff

Reactions: W4RR10R

peak_mu

Caliper Novice
Mar 3, 2019
Please add my name to the list of interested people.

What exactly does "buying a bios" mean though? Is this finding a capable individual/company and hiring them? Or maybe something like a bug bounty?

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Please add my name to the list of interested people.

What exactly does "buying a bios" mean though? Is this finding a capable individual/company and hiring them? Or maybe something like a bug bounty?
More like hiring an individual/company.

BenX

Chassis Packer
May 22, 2018
Is this thing as hard to find in your regions as it is in the US?

In Germany its still a bit rare but i see it more and more in the big PC stores... Mindfactory ... € 142,02, with a stock > 5
Prices have gone done a bit compared to introduction where some sellers asked 155+ ( and some still do ).

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Put me down as interested.

Is this thing as hard to find in your regions as it is in the US?
I had no problem getting mine in the US, although I did buy it within hours of it going on sale. (highly anticipated)

EDIT: on another thread someone said it is back in stock on Newegg, I checked and it is but 1 per customer so low stock.

Reactions: Debris84

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
My system is currently down but I need screenshots of the BIOS. Someone mind posting them here so I can forward them to the programmer? Otherwise will be a few days before I can get these together.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
My system is currently down but I need screenshots of the BIOS. Someone mind posting them here so I can forward them to the programmer? Otherwise will be a few days before I can get these together.
What kind of screen shots?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Put me down as interested.

Will be interesting to see just how a bios is hacked.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just screenshots of each BIOS page, presumably so he knows which BIOS he's working with and what the currently available parameters are.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Just screenshots of each BIOS page, presumably so he knows which BIOS he's working with and what the currently available parameters are.
Like just regular pictures, IDK how/if you can print screen in BIOS. But I'll take some when I get home.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Here are photos of all the BIOS pages, I didn't take any of the menus, but I can if needed.

Danlopez1222

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
So, I'm actually working on a modified bios for the a300w. No guarantees if I'll be able to get it to work with my limited resources, but I've been working with Ryzen bioses for a few months now. I was the first one to disable the power limits on Ryzen laptops. The a300 "chipset" is essentially the same as Ryzen laptops, and I've been working on enabling overclocking on Ryzen laptops.

I don't know what bios recovery exists on the deskmini, so I've been force recovering bad flashes with an external bios writer.

Last edited: