Motherboard Group Buy/Crowdfunded Modded BIOS for the Asrock A300m (Deskmini A300)

Danlopez1222

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
@W4RR10R So the thing with the UEFI specification is each "module" is supposed to be exactly that: modular. I believe that you can take certain modules from a donor bios with everything unlocked (multipliers, voltage, ECC settings) and inject them into a modded bios. In theory, modules from any bios running the same AGESA as the recipient can be injected into that bios. The issues that arises from this is how the modules store the configuration settings: these small configuration files are called variables and are stored on the bios chip in an aera called NVRAM.

If you inject modules of one bios into another, there is no guarantee that the variables wont conflict with each other (when two modules have two entirely unrelated settings stored in the same variable). The variables are assigned at compilation and technically each form set is supposed to have separate variables as per UEFI spec, but it seems most manufacturers don't follow that part of spec, especially AMD and the AGESA modules.

You technically can go back and edit the modules by had by change the variable storage manually with a hex editor, but that may cause other issues. Again, there is no guarantee that this would work perfectly, or even at all.

I can manually replace the modules that allow for voltage and multiplier access. It appears that the support for non-APU CPUs is already included in the 3.20 release, as displayed by the modules ending in ZP (meaning zeppelin, which is the internal name of a single die with 8 cores found on non-APU CPUs).

However, I don't know if non-APUs require an external chipset for proper PCIe support. They shouldn't, but it is unexplored water. The deskmini may be able to boot a non-APU CPU if there is an eGPU connected via one of the M.2 ports. We know that its possible to use an eGPU with an APU. I don't have an M.2 eGPU kit or a non-APU CPU to test with. If someone has access to these items, please test it out.

@Kmpkt The most help right now would be if someone has a desktop board with support for clock and voltage control, but not any proprietary power management features i.e. Manufacturer branded LCC settings. If someone has a desktop board with an unlocked bios, AMI, and not cluttered with manufacturer branded nonsense, please tell me which board and bios you are running and upload pictures. That would give me a good starting point for injecting unlocked modules.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

BonfireOfDreams

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2019
The deskmini may be able to boot a non-APU CPU if there is an eGPU connected via one of the M.2 ports. We know that its possible to use an eGPU with an APU. I don't have an M.2 eGPU kit or a non-APU CPU to test with. If someone has access to these items, please test it out.

My understanding is that eGPU via m.2 failed with ryzen 2xxx series CPU's but succeeded with athlon 200ge.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
@W4RR10R
However, I don't know if non-APUs require an external chipset for proper PCIe support. They shouldn't, but it is unexplored water. The deskmini may be able to boot a non-APU CPU if there is an eGPU connected via one of the M.2 ports. We know that its possible to use an eGPU with an APU. I don't have an M.2 eGPU kit or a non-APU CPU to test with. If someone has access to these items, please test it out.

I can't, thats how we got here. My WIP build was going to use an R5 2600 + a Vega Nano, but the system won't post with the 2600, I then bought a 200ge to test my board and it worked fine I was then able to the system up a running with the Vega Nano connected via the second M.2 with an adapter and auxiliary psu for the riser and card. The system seems to have no problem running this way. Looking at HWinfo it just sees it as a display adapter connected to the PCIe bus.

AMD makes no mention of the non APU parts not being supported by A/X300 chipsets on their page describing the different chipsets.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/chipsets-am4

I was also told that the microcode for all current AM4 cpus and apus where in the BIOS, but I have not been able to confirm that on my own, and I do know that the presence of microcode does not add support.

One thing that I was thinking is that maybe POST isn't detecting a display adapter, but that shouldn't be a problem because I think I've seen people with headless Ryzen servers.

Reactions: Danlopez1222

Primerib

Caliper Novice
Apr 5, 2019
I would absolutely help fund a custom bios. If we don’t get Ryzen 3000 compatibility than we’re absolutely going to need to squeeze every last watt of power out of this unit. I’m running the Hyper X 2933 from the QVL because it was the only one marked for overclocking. I need to play around with the frequency and timings to see if I can get the same benchmarks as the gentleman here running c18 3200 and make sure I don’t need to return it for some Gskill 3200. I want every component at maximum proformance.

peak_mu

Caliper Novice
Mar 3, 2019
I have an Asrock B450M Pro4 and AB350M Pro4. I am using the B450 as a headless VM host with a Ryzen 1700. I'm fairly sure the B350 board will work headless as well, but I can check to make sure.

Does this help in any way?

Reactions: Danlopez1222

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
@Kmpkt The most help right now would be if someone has a desktop board with support for clock and voltage control, but not any proprietary power management features i.e. Manufacturer branded LCC settings. If someone has a desktop board with an unlocked bios, AMI, and not cluttered with manufacturer branded nonsense, please tell me which board and bios you are running and upload pictures. That would give me a good starting point for injecting unlocked modules.

If you can let me know what board would meet these criteria I can have one ordered and sent to you. I also have a spare AsRock B450 ITX motherboard I'd be willing to contribute to the cause.

Danlopez1222

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
I can't, thats how we got here. My WIP build was going to use an R5 2600 + a Vega Nano, but the system won't post with the 2600, I then bought a 200ge to test my board and it worked fine I was then able to the system up a running with the Vega Nano connected via the second M.2 with an adapter and auxiliary psu for the riser and card. The system seems to have no problem running this way. Looking at HWinfo it just sees it as a display adapter connected to the PCIe bus.

Can you describe what happens when you try to boot? Does anything light up or do any fans spin? Also, try plugging in a usb flash drive with an LED to see if it gets power.

If you can let me know what board would meet these criteria I can have one ordered and sent to you. I also have a spare AsRock B450 ITX motherboard I'd be willing to contribute to the cause.

Can you take close up photos of the B450 components? Specifically look for anything square-ish shaped, possibly with the letters ITE, TPS, or RT. Also, can you post photos of the bios screens, including the AMD CBS and AMD PBS tabs?

Just for reference, the deskmini uses the RT3667BB Voltage Regulator. Hopefully the B450 has the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
@Danlopez1222
With the 2600 installed I get all fans (cpu and gpu) as well as the led on the gpu (but those come on when i power the riser). I dont get the power light from the deskmini or any other post codes, from some googling I determined that it means no cpu detected.

Danlopez1222

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
@Danlopez1222
With the 2600 installed I get all fans (cpu and gpu) as well as the led on the gpu (but those come on when i power the riser). I dont get the power light from the deskmini or any other post codes, from some googling I determined that it means no cpu detected.

Have you tried starting without any CPU installed to see if it would do the same thing? I've personally never tried with mine, so I don't know how the deskmini itself behaves.

Danlopez1222

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
So, while looking through the 3.20 bios, I found this gem:
Code:
0x18791     Form: ECC Configuration, Form ID: 0x7042 {01 86 42 70 EF 01}
0x18797         Subtitle: ECC Configuration {02 87 EF 01 00 00 00}
0x1879E         End {29 02}
0x187A0         Subtitle:  {02 87 02 00 00 00 00}
0x187A7         End {29 02}
0x187A9         Setting: DRAM ECC Symbol Size, Variable: 0xF0 {05 91 F0 01 F1 01 8A 00 00 50 F0 00 10 10 00 FF 00}
0x187BA             Option: x4, Value: 0x0 {09 07 F2 01 00 00 00}
0x187C1             Option: x8, Value: 0x1 {09 07 F3 01 00 00 01}
0x187C8             Option: Auto, Value: 0xFF (default) {09 07 10 00 10 00 FF}
0x187CF         End of Options {29 02}
0x187D1         Setting: DRAM ECC Enable, Variable: 0xF1 {05 91 F4 01 F5 01 8B 00 00 50 F1 00 10 10 00 FF 00}
0x187E2             Option: Disabled, Value: 0x0 {09 07 18 00 00 00 00}
0x187E9             Option: Enabled, Value: 0x1 {09 07 17 00 00 00 01}
0x187F0             Option: Auto, Value: 0xFF (default) {09 07 10 00 10 00 FF}
0x187F7         End of Options {29 02}
0x187F9     End Form {29 02}

ECC might be supported already with the factory bios. If someone has ECC SODIMMs, can you check the memory options in AMD CBS?

I'm also seeing options for overclocking settings not visible by default, such as "XFR" settings, "OC mode", and "Managed overclocking Control". I'll mess with them later today and see whats up.

So far nothing on the non-APU restrictions. However, I found a Chinese b350 motherboard with the same voltage regulator, which is promising.

BonfireOfDreams

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2019
Is everyone anxiously waiting for every update? Just me?

I'm hopeful to see a solution, you could pack a punch in a really small size if one is found. I'll be watching this thread closely.

Edit: Anecdotally, has anyone tried using the DeskMini 310 with an Intel CPU & m.2 PCIe 4x adapter?

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Reactions: BonfireOfDreams

Primerib

Caliper Novice
Apr 5, 2019
Just attempted the m.2 PCIe x4 external gpu using the adapter that ETAPrime used in his video. When I connected my molex to the adapter to provide power the adapter the included cable went up in flames. A managed to unplug it in time. Motherboard and M.2 slot are still working thank goodness. I tested it with a m.2 SSD. I’m hesitant to try it again but I really want to see a 1080 running on it.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Just attempted the m.2 PCIe x4 external gpu using the adapter that ETAPrime used in his video. When I connected my molex to the adapter to provide power the adapter the included cable went up in flames. A managed to unplug it in time. Motherboard and M.2 slot are still working thank goodness. I tested it with a m.2 SSD. I’m hesitant to try it again but I really want to see a 1080 running on it.
That's terrifying, I don't where you got your riser, but I got mine from here http://www.adtrp.com. I really like the quality and they shipped very quickly.