Production GPU display stands

Shatrod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Redshift Project
Gold Supporter
Dec 6, 2019
Hi everyone.

In a bit of a departure from the usual computer cases and the like, I wanted to share something else I have been working on. As much as I want to (and will) continue working on cases, I decided to step back and try to ramp up with something smaller. I also wanted to get my feet wet with regards to actually running a business and everything that goes along with it.

To that extent, I designed and made aluminum display stands for old PCI-e GPUs:

I have gone through a few revisions of this stand to make sure it doesn't tip over and the card slots in cleanly. I also wanted to make sure its strong enough for even bigger cards (below pictures are tests with a 4090); although the primary purpose is to display older, decommissioned hardware. I do not foresee this stand damaging the cards in any way (like where the pcie fingers slot into it), I also cant guarantee that it wont :)

Probably the best part about these stands however is the customised placard that slots into the stand. I can laser engrave any message you want on the stand (provded that it fits). In my testing I found a 100 character limit to be fair, but if you need just a little more im sure we would be able to make it fit by playing around with the font sizes and stuff.

Now for the most important parts:
I have done some testing by shipping a few of these to friends (and at least a couple to people who bought a prototype) and believe I have settled on a good packaging solution. What you get in the box is the stand, an engraved placard, and two balck 6-32 screws to secure the card to the stand.
As far as being able to actually buy one these: I have registered a sole proprietorship In my province (Ontario, Canada) called Redshift Project. Over the last few months I built out a website to act as both a sales channel, but also just a place for me to share my current and past projects like the Sputnik case. I also started an instagram if anyone is interested in that: redshift.project
I recieved the first bulk order of the stands, although I still have to unpackage the bulk order and re-package them in individual boxes.
The way my full time job works out, i think i will be able to ship out orders on mondays and fridays, with the days in between spent packaging, engraving, making shipping labels and the like.

It is definitely intimidating opening up a venture like this for the first time, but there is only so much testing I can do on all the moving parts. Please understand there may be some growing pains as everything gets ironed out, you can awlays reach out here or on my website/instagram and il do what I can. Having said all that, I think its ready to share with the world:

Thanks for looking!