Going to tokyo in two weeks, any cool PC hardware places to visit?

max3000

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
Hey guys,

So as the title says, I'm going to be in Tokyo and I know Akihabra has a ton of electronics/hobby DIY stuff going on.
Does anyone know if there are any specific places that might have cool SFF-related stuff? Would kinda make sense since space is at a premium over there haha :D

Obakemono

Trash Compacter
Jan 20, 2019
Hey guys,

So as the title says, I'm going to be in Tokyo and I know Akihabra has a ton of electronics/hobby DIY stuff going on.
Does anyone know if there are any specific places that might have cool SFF-related stuff? Would kinda make sense since space is at a premium over there haha :D

In Akihibara Yodabashi Camera is a good place to buy new stuff for PC's, and if you take your passport with you ask about buying items "tax free". It's a bit of a process but not difficult to do as they have staff that do speak english that can help. There are other places as well that sell PC parts, but the used PC market in Akihibara has really shrank over the years and only a few shops have used stuff much anymore. Also, bring allot of money because it is not cheap to buy new PC parts there. I'll try to post a map later of a few places I know of that should still be there, like a place that only sells fans, or a place that sells vacuum tubes ect. Have you been there before? My wife is Japanese and she never went to Akihibara before and when i took her there she was lost, it was funny.
Oh, be careful about taking photos in shops there, they don't like it very much.

O

max3000

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
In Akihibara Yodabashi Camera is a good place to buy new stuff for PC's, and if you take your passport with you ask about buying items "tax free". It's a bit of a process but not difficult to do as they have staff that do speak english that can help. There are other places as well that sell PC parts, but the used PC market in Akihibara has really shrank over the years and only a few shops have used stuff much anymore. Also, bring allot of money because it is not cheap to buy new PC parts there. I'll try to post a map later of a few places I know of that should still be there, like a place that only sells fans, or a place that sells vacuum tubes ect. Have you been there before? My wife is Japanese and she never went to Akihibara before and when i took her there she was lost, it was funny.
Oh, be careful about taking photos in shops there, they don't like it very much.

O

Thanks man!

It's my first time. I'll be there for 9 days (business trip mostly). I've actually heard Yodabashi Camera is insanely overpriced but there are mom & pop shops in the surrounding area where you can find some neat stuff for not a lot of money. But I haven't confirmed it myself obviously...

Reactions: CountNoctua

Obakemono

Trash Compacter
Jan 20, 2019
Thanks man!

It's my first time. I'll be there for 9 days (business trip mostly). I've actually heard Yodabashi Camera is insanely overpriced but there are mom & pop shops in the surrounding area where you can find some neat stuff for not a lot of money. But I haven't confirmed it myself obviously...

https://ibb.co/f9v3y5r

This is from memory. I was there last year but things can change fast there.

O

Obakemono

Trash Compacter
Jan 20, 2019
Bring me back some Scythes and Sanyo Denkis please, OP
You can get Panaflo's and Ainex fans too.

I have a 60mm Panaflo that is 22yrs old and was in my first PC build on the CPU cooler, and I have 4 120mm Omega Typhoons in my Riotoro retro PC case (build series coming soon) and they are very quiet for 3-pin fans.

O

Last edited:

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
You can get Panaflo's and Ainex fans too.

I have a 60mm Panaflo that is 22yrs old and was in my first PC build on the CPU cooler, and I have 4 120mm Omega Typhoons in my Riotoro retro PC case (build series coming soon) and they are very quiet for 3-pin fans.

Interested in that Omega Typhoon 140mm (CFZ-140LA) and possibly 120mm. Will see if anyone ships them to U.S.

Obakemono

Trash Compacter
Jan 20, 2019
Check this out

During the socket 7/462/939/AM2 era in Akihabara you could find soooooo much used PC stuff since the new items were very expensive. I did buy a couple of mobos that were not found in the states but the used market was just on a next level. Now, not so much. The Otaku Manga craze really changed how Akihabara looks and feels now, and with ebay and the auction sites used PC parts are hard to find now. I forgot, also check out the Hardoff stores, that is like Goodwill in the states, but with the cool level of Japan.

O