CPU Gaming CPU to pair with a 3080ti in a SFF build

Maxalification

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 6, 2021
Hey Guys,
this is my first post here normaly im just lurking.

I plan on doing my first SFF build and i want to go with a console-style case with normal length GPU support. (Sentry 2.0 would be the dream, but yeah...)
I buy parts here and there when i see them on sale but now i got my hands on a 3080ti FE for msrp.
(thats still not cheap for a GPU but i personally dont think its gonna get any better than this soon)

So with the GPU finally set the Project is suddenly pretty high on my priority list 😅

My other parts so far are:
a SFX Corsair 750w psu
a noctua NH-L9 CPU cooler (amazon warehouse deal came with both mounting kits 🤷‍♂️)
a samsung 980pro m.2ssd (and another 970 so 2 slots for the mainboard would be nice)
and the case for now is either going to be: a node 202(fugly but cheap) or the HZMod xq69 (still reluctant on this one because i realy dont want to support a knock off)
at least untill some day the sentry 3.0 or another nice case is gonne be available again.

So now my question is what CPU would fit the rest of my parts and doesnt bottleneck my system.
And i kinda dont want to needlesly overspend like crazy for power ill never gonne need (the PSU and 980 where such bargains 🙈)

The more or less unified result of my research in articles and post of other hardware forums was: Ryzen 7 5800x.
But erveryone was like: such a great CPU except for the temps...

But I also red that you could fit a few extra 40mm fans onto the top or bottom of these cases to create better airflow and help cool the CPU.
And that you could undervolt the 5800x for marginal gaming loss but much better temps.
But I'm not shure if that would be enough to not turn this build into a microwave...

Ah and i dont care if the CPU is team red or blue...

So what do you guys think?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Only 5600x or 11400 with that cooler and cases. Also 3080ti might be really got in those cases also, node 202 is horrible for gpu temps, even for 120w gpu's let alone for 350w.

Frenzy

Trash Compacter
Feb 14, 2020
Believe youtube channel hardware unboxed has some good video’s on CPU bottlnecks. Basically not really a thing to be too worried about. Only if you want to go very high refresh rate on 1080P (+240 Hz) and some games (like Flight Simulator) you need to beef up the CPU.

In general you’ll be fine with a 5600x, that’ll pair up nicely with the NH-L9.

Case wise, if you’re not willing to go premium (like Ncase m1 etc). Perhaps check SSUPD Meshlicious (14L). Or Cooler Master NR200 (but hardly consider 20 Litre SFF tbh)

Reactions: riba2233

Bennu

Efficiency Noob
Oct 9, 2020
Only 5600x or 11400 with that cooler and cases. Also 3080ti might be really got in those cases also, node 202 is horrible for gpu temps, even for 120w gpu's let alone for 350w.
You're treating Node 202 unfairly. In this case, I had 1060, which is exactly 120 W. Cooled Alpenfoehn Peter plus 2 12 * 14 noctua. At 500 rpm, the temperature of the video card was kept around 60-65 degrees Celsius, and in itself it was absolutely silent. In my opinion, if you organize the air supply to the CPU cooler exclusively from the outside, then you can safely install a video card for 350 watts.

Last edited by a moderator:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
You're treating Node 202 unfairly. In this case, I had 1060, which is exactly 120 W. Cooled Alpenfoehn Peter plus 2 12 * 14 noctua. At 500 rpm, the temperature of the video card was kept around 60-65 degrees Celsius, and in itself it was absolutely silent. In my opinion, if you organize the air supply to the CPU cooler exclusively from the outside, then you can safely install a video card for 350 watts.
Yes, low end cards run ok with two intake fans on top of them, but anything higher end doesn't, had it with only 180w gpu and it sucked. It just doesn't have any gpu exhaust path, how could it work fine for high tdp gpu's?

DillThePill

Chassis Packer
Mar 25, 2021
5600x plus those parts will work well in the Sliger console cases. The thermals on the FE cards are particularly good in those cases because the hot air is directly vented out, instead of dumping into the case and then needing another fan to exhaust it.

Reactions: Phuncz