Cooling GIGABYTE low-profile liquid cooler from a server

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Something nice cooling enthusiasts may want to see...
Around 7:30 there is a shot of a low-profile liquid cooler that GIGABYTE wants to use to cool i9s in 1U servers.
Any comments on modding of that thing for SFF PCs?
Will GIGABYTE sell it as a replacement part?

Have fun!
-el01

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016

I managed to get this from the video but uh, the quality isn't so great. Looks like a part number.

Reactions: ColorZepppelin

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
Ohhhh that is an interesting part. Good eye! I wonder when it will become available... Hopefully sometime soon.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Dont get me wrong, I think this is baller but as for desktop use, that thing will scream louder than a run away jet engine. Those fans are incredibly high flowing 40's, dual impeller, this means its likely also a very high fin density rad. Putting this in a desktop is likely going to end in more noise than the vast majority of people are willing to tolerate.

EDIT: Political correctness for the benefit of those easily offended & feel the need to hold others to their own standards.

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Dont get me wrong, I think this is baller but as for desktop use, that thing will scream louder than a run away jet engine. Those fans are incredibly high flowing 40's, dual impeller, this means its likely also a very high fin density rad. Putting this in a desktop is likely going to end in more noise than the vast majority of people are willing to tolerate.

EDIT: Political correctness for the benefit of those easily offended & feel the need to hold others to their own standards.
Hey, look at it this way: if you have very very loud kids/dogs/animals/people in your household, you can both keep the noise out and reverse the fans to blow them out if they won't stfu :p

In all seriousness, 40mm server fans are hella loud, even when new. You did bring up fin density, and so I wonder if they increased (I'm blanking on the technical word) liquid pipe count in the radiator, which may be a bit of trouble for an Asetek pump (I don't own one, so my opinion here isn't the most qualified).

Also, I'm a bit concerned with reliability of liquid cooling in a server setup: despite advances in liquid cooling safety, there are many more points of failure than on an air cooler. Finally, I personally think this product won't really take off considering its niche status (1U server/SFF PC with proper 40mm fan mounts, very hot processor [otherwise why spend the money], probably kinda bad cooling, etc., etc.)

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Finally, I personally think this product won't really take off
Liquid cooling has already taken off in the data centre, its by no means ubiquitous but there are enough HPC/super compute/AI/etc applications running chillers, refrigerated racks, liquid cooling, etc that it can already be considered to have "taken off"

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Liquid cooling has already taken off in the data centre, its by no means ubiquitous but there are enough HPC/super compute/AI/etc applications running chillers, refrigerated racks, liquid cooling, etc that it can already be considered to have "taken off"
Good to know. Thanks!