Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX ITX

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I installed Salient (Arch-based) without an Internet connection.

I highly recommend it, it's a terrific distro for power users. Although I still prefer Pop!_OS myself.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into them for my own knowledge. You never know enough distros :D.

The main difference between Salient and Arch is that Salient is a "pre configured" distro, so it comes loaded with tones of stuff. Unlike Arch, that comes with nothing but allows you to have only what you need (at the expense of needing an internet connection). There's a way to intall Arch without a connection, but I'd rather tether from my phone until I have a working Interface...

I'll stop the off-topic here, it's not a thread about Arch ... my bad :D

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
The more I look into the i225-V, the more it look like garbage ?

Apparently the v2 revision which is currently shipping, and what I imagine will be on B550 boards still has this bug, so it’s going to be a v3 later this year which should fix it properly. Here is a link to the Intel document that outlines the issue, and lists the routers and switches that they’ve tested 2.5Gbps operation with.

Just to clarify, the Gigabyte board that which this thread is for will not have this problem as it uses a Realtek 2.5Gbps Ethernet controller. That controller has been tested and works correctly at full speed.

However, the Intel i225V chip is being used on a lot of the B550 and Z490 boards. Also, the Intel and Realtek Ethernet controllers are both being used by vendors across their range of B550 boards, although so far Gigabyte seems to be using the Realtek controller on all but one of their announced B550 boards.

This article from Tom’s Hardware has the B550 boards listed along with the NIC being used:

Reactions: Phuncz

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
Is there a chance that the 'Q-Flash Plus Button' can be configured as a power button?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Apparently the v2 revision which is currently shipping, and what I imagine will be on B550 boards still has this bug, so it’s going to be a v3 later this year which should fix it properly. Here is a link to the Intel document that outlines the issue, and lists the routers and switches that they’ve tested 2.5Gbps operation with.

https://www.intel.com/i225v1

That's quite unfortunate, because from my understanding the bug was supposed to be fixed with v2. Not that I have any nBase-T compatible switch, router, NAS or planned to buy any ... but that's a quite a plague for use who bought an i225-V board and wanted to use that feature. Internet providers are starting to offer boxes with 2.5Gbe and Wifi 6 though...

The Realtek 8125 has been out for quite some time now, so probably a safer bet.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Intel claims that a new hardware revision will be available in 2H2020 which will resolve it.

Wait, so this is a hardware issue? Am I correct to say that, if you're unlucky buying a mobo with that buggy chip, the only way to fix it is by doing RMA or getting a new one?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Wait, so this is a hardware issue? Am I correct to say that, if you're unlucky buying a mobo with that buggy chip, the only way to fix it is by doing RMA or getting a new one?
Yep. Unless you are comfortable with BGA soldering and board level repairs and are able to source a replacement I guess.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yep. Unless you are comfortable with BGA soldering and board level repairs and are able to source a replacement I guess.

Not my cup of tea.

So either I wait until the fixed mobo is out, or.. what are my other options?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Get one that uses the Realtek alternative?

Ah right.. Anw just to be clear..
  • Onboard Intel® WiFi 6 802.11ax 2T2R & BT5 with AORUS Antenna
  • Blazing Fast 2.5GbE LAN with Bandwidth Management <------ the bug is on this one right?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Ah right.. Anw just to be clear..
  • Onboard Intel® WiFi 6 802.11ax 2T2R & BT5 with AORUS Antenna
  • Blazing Fast 2.5GbE LAN with Bandwidth Management <------ the bug is on this one right?
Yep. Intel... i225 or something? If it was the wifi you'd be able to swap out the m.2 for another card (or just use ethernet) so that would be much less of an issue.

Reactions: AlexTSG and ignsvn

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Reactions: Phuncz and ignsvn

Tristanoz

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2020

This sheet by a gigabyte community manager seems to indicate that the board's MSRP is 179. The prices of these boards are a bit steeper than I'd hoped but this is a fair price considering the competition. This MSI board is 200 I believe and the ASUS one 220.

Reactions: Phuncz

Ura

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 8, 2020
Anyone has an idea when this will be available? Can't find it yet.
Its likely that they will release B550 together with the next gen ryzen lineup. B550 is already confirmed to support the next gen ryzen chips so it would only make sense to just kind of launch everything together for maximum marketing effectiveness.
This is only an educated guess tho, keep that in mind.