Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX ITX

dnpp123

Trash Compacter
Jun 6, 2019
Just finished this board install. I like the board, nothing funky to report.

For @GuilleAcoustic who was wondering for the Arch Linux compat, you just need to install `r8125-dkms` to have ethernet up and running (so usb stick or wifi which works fine out of the box).

Now I'm pondering how to connect the USB 3.2 Gen 1 internal header.
In the amazon link given by @3lfk1ng at the beginning of the thread, I see just 1 USB C connector.
However according to the specs there is 2 links available so I guess you could get 10gbps (twice 5gbps) out of this internal header?
Anyone know where to buy a 3.2gen1 internal header to 2 x USB - C header by any chance?

Snookaloo

Chassis Packer
Jun 7, 2020
I'm working on a rebuild in the Velka 3. B550 / 3600 / 16GB B-Die / 5600XT

Hard to tell from the pic, are they Ripjaws?

napalmTree

Efficiency Noob
Jul 27, 2020
Does anyone knows whether Noctua NH-C14S is compatible on this board? I didn't found this listed in Noctua's Compatibility list either.
Meanwhile, I will ask the Noctua Support regarding this.

Neophyte

Trash Compacter
Aug 1, 2020
Got mine last night. Built the system this morning in my old NZXT Vulcan to test everything. It all works, though I'm hardly one to push my hardware. Anyone with questions, feel free to ask. For many of you, I suspect it'll be annoying that Windows 10 Home didn't recognize any of the devices (mainly talking about the Intel Wireless AX chip) and I ended up loading the CD (I have a USB DVD/CD drive) to install the requisite drivers.

Dunedan

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2019
I read somewhere that the ASRock board had issues that disabling the RGB-lighting wasn't properly available in BIOS. Does disabling RGB in BIOS work for the Gigabyte board?

Also what's the distance between the board and the top of the M.2 heatsink or rather that block on top of the heatsink. I'd be interested in its height for tower cooler compatibility.

Neophyte

Trash Compacter
Aug 1, 2020
I read somewhere that the ASRock board had issues that disabling the RGB-lighting wasn't properly available in BIOS. Does disabling RGB in BIOS work for the Gigabyte board?

Also what's the distance between the board and the top of the M.2 heatsink or rather that block on top of the heatsink. I'd be interested in its height for tower cooler compatibility.

Give me a bit on the measurement. As for RGB, it can definitely be turned off in the BIOS... just did it.

Reactions: Dunedan

Neophyte

Trash Compacter
Aug 1, 2020
Give me a bit on the measurement. As for RGB, it can definitely be turned off in the BIOS... just did it.

Eyeballing it with a ruler, it looks like about 3cm in height. I don't know if I can get more accurate. It's kind of in a tight space.

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
Gigabyte released the new F10a BIOS for update to AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.0.8.1.

They also put F3 on their downloads page, which was to improve memory compatibility.

I've been running this board in my new Sentry 2.0 build for almost a month. Was on the F2a BIOS before, and had no issues. The F10a BIOS does seem to have a little lower idle voltage draw, at least in my few days of observing and testing with HWinfo.

I have this board paired with a R5 3600, 16 GB of DDR4-3200 MHz memory, and a 2070 Super FE.

Frozer

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 2, 2020
Has anyone run this motherboard with 64 GB of RAM?

Also if you have been running this board for a while how are your experiences with it?

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
Has anyone run this motherboard with 64 GB of RAM?

Also if you have been running this board for a while how are your experiences with it?
I've been using this board for 2 months with no issues at all. One of the most stable boards I've ever had.

Frozer

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 2, 2020
I've been using this board for 2 months with no issues at all. One of the most stable boards I've ever had.

Thanks for the info. I have been considering whether to go for X570 or B550 and it seems this is one of the best B550 ITX boards, especially given the Intel 2.5 G issues.

Eekaboo

Efficiency Noob
Oct 12, 2020
Thanks for the info. I have been considering whether to go for X570 or B550 and it seems this is one of the best B550 ITX boards, especially given the Intel 2.5 G issues.

I have seen a few complaints (mainly a few threads on reddit & relevant forum post with certain manufacturers) about the Realtek 2.5 Gbe RTL8125 having issues as well (found on the Gigabyte B550 ITX & MSI B550 ITX). AFAIK, there's less reports than the intel I-225 chip but very similar issues regarding to connection drops/packet loss. From what i've read drivers updates did not solve these issues. 10.38 realtek drivers did not fixed it (supplied and found on the gigabyte website) and the latest 10.42 or 10.43 drivers from the realtek website did not fix it either.

However from what I can understand more recent motherboard manufactured from gigabyte have fixed it (or realtek supplied revised chips) with the model number: RTL8125BG. But this is purely down to 1 person who did a thorough? test on reddit.

Reactions: Frozer and Phuncz

Frozer

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 2, 2020
I have seen a few complaints (mainly a few threads on reddit & relevant forum post with certain manufacturers) about the Realtek 2.5 Gbe RTL8125 having issues as well (found on the Gigabyte B550 ITX & MSI B550 ITX). AFAIK, there's less reports than the intel I-225 chip but very similar issues regarding to connection drops/packet loss. From what i've read drivers updates did not solve these issues. 10.38 realtek drivers did not fixed it (supplied and found on the gigabyte website) and the latest 10.42 or 10.43 drivers from the realtek website did not fix it either.

However from what I can understand more recent motherboard manufactured from gigabyte have fixed it (or realtek supplied revised chips) with the model number: RTL8125BG. But this is purely down to 1 person who did a thorough? test on reddit.

Interesting I had not heard about those issues, thanks for bringing it up. Definitely something I will look into. If there are indeed some issues with Realtek as well I guess the only safe choice would be X570.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

From what I've seen the issues with the Intel chips aren't connection drops or packet loss (at least not on any scale where you would speak of them as that), but rather a hardware bug that causes connection issues so severe effective link speed to drop to <10Mbps when connected to switches and NICs with certain chipsets.