Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX ITX

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Because it is boutique form factor - who will give $200 for a board with limited features? They are just not priority ...
Yeah, they're relatively expensive to make, sell in lower volumes, etc. It's logical for them to be a lower priority, even if it is also terribly frustrating. I'm trying to temper my impatience by reminding myself that the new APUs aren't out yet so I don't need a motherboard, but that doesn't help much :p

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
What features are limited on ITX boards?
2 GPUs. For what?
PCI-E Soundcard? It's dead.
Two m.2 slots. Check.
Good powerdelivery and overclocking potential. Check.
Support any coolers. Check.
4 SATA drivers. Why you need more? Really need - buy a NAS.

Reactions: dnpp123

spiral

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
I got everything but the gigabyte board by now. I don't really suffer from impatience, but compared to the x570 that i can get form 30 more is it worth the wait ? Currently my preorder says july 7th, x570 is in stock.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
I got everything but the gigabyte board by now. I don't really suffer from impatience, but compared to the x570 that i can get form 30 more is it worth the wait ? Currently my preorder says july 7th, x570 is in stock.
I would wait for the B550 board (if you have the patience). It has 2.5 Gb lan, better power delivery, and no fan. The only negative I see is that it lacks an internal USB C header.

edit: they both lack USB C.... so I guess that doesn't matter much unless you look at another brand.

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
What features are limited on ITX boards?
2 GPUs. For what?
PCI-E Soundcard? It's dead.
Two m.2 slots. Check.
Good powerdelivery and overclocking potential. Check.
Support any coolers. Check.
4 SATA drivers. Why you need more? Really need - buy a NAS.
Some people would rather build their own than buy a NAS :) And 4 SATA ports for a DIY NAS is a bit anemic. Of course one could add a HBA, but then you would need a bifurcation riser if you also want 10GbE (though these boards having 2.5GbE go a long way towards erasing that concern too). Agree with you other than that though. ITX is all that is needed for 99% of users. Even the argument about upgrading RAM is largely moot, as hardly anyone does even if they have the option.

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
10Gb for home useless. Hardware with 10Gb is not cheap. Especially switch or router.
64 of RAM in ITX it's more then enough for any user.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
10Gb for home useless. Hardware with 10Gb is not cheap. Especially switch or router.
10GbE has definite utility if you store your photo and video library on a NAS and would like to go through it in Lightroom or something similar without copying it locally first. Expensive? Absolutely. But some would like it nonetheless. As for RAM, I wasn't talking about capacity, I was talking about the ability to upgrade from what you have to more without replacing anything. It's not a common concern, which is why I said it didn't apply to most users after all, but it's still somewhat relevant and something ITX simply can't do. It's a sacrifice I'm perfectly willing to make, obviously.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
About the price of B550 boards: they are in a difficult market, they need to have support for the lowly Ryzen 3 3100 4-core up until the Ryzen 9 3950X 16-core in regards to power. They also need to support PCIe 4.0. All of this makes it a more expensive board. It's a shame we're not seeing more chipset-less boards and A520 wasn't released earlier. On the other hand, wanting to have the latest CPUs with a cheap chipset is not very lucrative for AMD right now I guess, they probably are allowing these to be released later to offset their limited CPU production rate.

My NAS has 40GbE, so does my PC and they connect directly. The cards and cable was about 80$ total. Both have two ports and I have also bought adapters from QSFP+ to SFP+ so I can use the other ports to connect to a 10GbE SFP+ switch if needed. The NAS is also attached to my 1GbE network for other devices.

Switches:
https://mikrotik.com/product/CSS326-24G-2SplusRM --> 2x 10Gbe SFP+ and 24x 1GbE RJ45 ports (140$)
https://mikrotik.com/product/crs309_1g_8s_in --> 8x 10GbE SFP+ and 1x 1GbE RJ45 port (270$)
And many more, including used market.

You also rarely need a 10GbE router unless for professional uses or when your internet connection has over 1000Mbit download/upload.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
You have silent watercooled build. Late night. Absolutely silence. And this small fan start spin...

This is an extrem situation, not a common one. Nothing that can't be fixed by either disabling it in your EFI or disconnecting it from its header, if you really want absolute silence.

If you have close to no chassis air flow and run a power hungry CPU, then an "assist" fan wouldn't hurt. Most of the time it will not spin and when it will chances are that your GPU, speakers or headset will cover it... just my 2c

That's also the reason why I only use Top flow heatsink. They cool your CPU and its surrounding components (VRM, RAM, Chipset, SSD, etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
On X570 boards, chipset without fan will melt.

X570, no chipset fan ... Just need a beefy heatsink and air flow...

Reactions: fabio and Arboreal

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
It's not a common consumer board.
No m.2, no heavy load to chipset.

m.2 PCIe gen4 4x (please check before making assumption) + 2x OCulink (each being PCIe gen4 4x), 2x 10Gbe, PCIe gen4 16x ... Up to 105W TDP CPU (that includes the 3950X)... Yeah, no heavy load on chipset

Considering how slim end-user chipset heatsink are, with a anemic fan on top of them ... An old school heatsink with real fins and normal air flow are enough.... But people want paper thin dragon or amno crate looking heatsink and then complain because they have a fan...

Last edited: