News Gigabyte 1070 Mini ITX OC

Perfect timing for all these SFF builds!

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5923#kf

Gonna drop one in my NFC S3 as soon as I can :)

Reactions: iFreilicht

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I think it's the amount of colors used in the design, along with the number of colors the LEDs can shine. Bonus points if the heatsink is the size of a 2,5" drive.

Why oh why are DIMMs like these not available in DDR4 ?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The Shroud And The Luminous ?

There was one company that made sober non-sawblade high-end RAM sticks, named KLEVV, but they're all but gone now.

KLEVV is gone now? But they're still selling... and active on Facebook?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I haven't found DDR4 DIMMs from them so if they still are in production, they sure as hell have been living under a rock the past year.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I haven't found DDR4 DIMMs from them so if they still are in production, they sure as hell have been living under a rock the past year.
The KLEVV Cras (aptly named) are their only DDR4 line, with ludicrously tall heatspreaders.

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I think it's the amount of colors used in the design, along with the number of colors the LEDs can shine. Bonus points if the heatsink is the size of a 2,5" drive.

Why oh why are DIMMs like these not available in DDR4 ?

Closest thing i know of : Crucial DDR4 server DIMMS.
Quite expensive though ; that's why I chose a Skylake DDR3 mobo for my build...

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That's all DDR3 regretably, DDR4 has been available for consumers for two years now and it's what people want with new systems.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I hate the Gigabyte 1070s and all oversized cards. Obviously I am biased because of the Mini, but that's not even my real frustration. I absolutely hate the extra width of the cards for all my custom systems and show pieces I've had to design this year and the ones I am working on now for a vendor who has cards that feel wider than they are long.

I'm not the only modder that feels this way too. I think making cards overly big serves no purpose...this current generation of GPUs is the best performing per watt we have ever seen, so why the heck is making them monstrously bigger the route the industry is going?

/end rant

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I give it three generations before a manufacturer will release a double-height graphics card and the first cases will be released with a "side pod" attached to the side panel for these cards, because why not.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I give it three generations before a manufacturer will release a double-height graphics card and the first cases will be released with a "side pod" attached to the side panel for these cards, because why not.
I wouldn't be suprised, manufacturers ALREADY design CPU coolers to avoid the utterly 100% pointless heatspreaders that are ubiquitous on DIMMs.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015

Basically, this is already happening with the hybrid water cooled video cards with the built-in AIO.

I hate the Gigabyte 1070s and all oversized cards. Obviously I am biased because of the Mini, but that's not even my real frustration. I absolutely hate the extra width of the cards for all my custom systems and show pieces I've had to design this year and the ones I am working on now for a vendor who has cards that feel wider than they are long.

I'm not the only modder that feels this way too. I think making cards overly big serves no purpose...this current generation of GPUs is the best performing per watt we have ever seen, so why the heck is making them monstrously bigger the route the industry is going?

/end rant

Trying to get the air cooled cards on par performance with water cooled cards?? Their philosophy being that more thermal mass is better so more heat can soak in the system, perhaps?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Zotac will offer two models - of those two models, one has a 3GB or 6GB variant.

http://videocardz.com/62073/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-amp-and-mini-detailed

Just keeping in mind that while they look to be very good cards, they are not 1070's.

I would be fine with this sort of cooler on the 1070. This one is for the 970, a card I owned (Josh also used it for one of his S4 Mini build logs) so it should be possible to use the same kind of cooler in the 1070. There's only a 5W TDP difference between the two cards.

It's not quite ITX length, but still much shorter than reference. I'll be disappointed if they don't come out with a shorter, non-AMP version for this 1070.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Again with the second DVI, though.

I keep thinking I should ask the site admins if I can write an OpEd on why DVI needs to die.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
DVI indeed needs to die, but more than a few people have invested in Korean high refresh rate monitors in the last few years (DL-DVI only), so that would also get some resistance. AMD already has omitted DVI in its reference designs for a while now.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
DP is probably more expensive to do, maybe certification or licensing, I don't know enough about that to be certain.