Motherboard GIGABYTE MDQ17BI

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 6, 2015
While WadeAK78's post prompted me to check out the Gigabyte's site to see if there are any other interesting offerings, I found this Q170 Mini-ITX board in their B2B section:
http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5846#ov

It's powered by either an external AC adapter or via a 4-pin connector but unlike Thin Mini-ITX boards it's got a PCIe Gen3.0 x16 slot. Since there's no warning mentioned in the spec table I believe the slot provides max 75W internally instead of max 25W. Dondan once informed me on [H] that there was such a board with an H61 chipset from Gigabyte, with a x16 PCIe slot on the right instead of the standard left end of the motherboard, and it was part of one of their AIO/PIO products. MDQ17BI may also be for an AIO/PIO, despite the standard PCIe slot location.
It's not very likely this board will be available for general consumers but I've seen stores like Beach Audio or Provantage selling GA-6LISL so you never know.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
That's a very interesting board. Upright DDR4 SO-DIMMS, Full PCIe x16 (possibly 75 watts?) and a 4 pin din external AC/DC connection? I'm curious, have you seen a mini itx board with an external AC/DC connector like that before? This is the first I've seen.

Do you think it would be possible to power the board through that internal 4 pin connector with something like a Flex ATX PSU? As you said this many never be avilable, but if someone got their hands on one that could be a pretty clean build without the ATX 24 pin connector.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If someone got in touch with the B2B department of Gigabyte for an order of x boards (probably a lot more than 10 I'd guess), it would be possible. Something like Massdrop could be used to make it possible.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
That's a very interesting board. Upright DDR4 SO-DIMMS, Full PCIe x16 (possibly 75 watts?) and a 4 pin din external AC/DC connection? I'm curious, have you seen a mini itx board with an external AC/DC connector like that before? This is the first I've seen.
I've seen a few Itx boards with either internal or external connectors accepting just 12-19V DC, but it's fairly uncommon and mainly shows up on boards with the less consumer oriented boards.

Do you think it would be possible to power the board through that internal 4 pin connector with something like a Flex ATX PSU? As you said this many never be avilable, but if someone got their hands on one that could be a pretty clean build without the ATX 24 pin connector.
Maybe, but it wouldn't be able to properly turn the PSU on and off. Your best bet would be something like the HDPlex internal AC-DC PSU

If someone got in touch with the B2B department of Gigabyte for an order of x boards (probably a lot more than 10 I'd guess), it would be possible. Something like Massdrop could be used to make it possible.
The specs page says 20 units per carton, so that might be the MOQ. I doubt they'd break a box for what would seem to be an OEM product.

Reactions: Phuncz

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
We could probably move 20 units through the community here.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Dammit people, don't make me buy stuff I can't afford! XD I miss having a Hackintosh for my desktop.