News Gigabyte 1070 Mini ITX OC

Perfect timing for all these SFF builds!

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5923#kf

Gonna drop one in my NFC S3 as soon as I can :)

Reactions: iFreilicht

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Loving the card, but hating this:

It's compensating it's reduced length up top. It does have a recessed 8-pin I'm guessing by the other images.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Very nice to see more high performance ITX cards.

Shame about the height, though. While length is the is major limiting factor in optimizing system size, it's still important to try and stay close to the I/O shield backplate height

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Josh did a video showing how he was able to fit the extra-tall ASUS 970 DirectCU Mini in the S4 case but just barely.

That extra angle on the top of the cooler might pose some fitting problems. Worse comes to worst, remove the shroud and fan, and use your own slim 120mm fan in place.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Here is an overlay of the Gigabyte 970 and 1070:

From the overlay the 1070 looks much larger, but according to Gigabytes official specs the 1070 is 169mm x 131mm, whereas the 970 is stated at 168mm x 123mm, so only 8mm difference.

Maybe they are measuring the 1070 to the top of the PCB rather than the shroud? Or maybe to the top of the PCIe power connector? Which looking closely at this picture the power connector is slightly recessed:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The actual dimensions are definitely larger than the official specs.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Do you think they are just quoting the height of the PCB and they have missed off the extra bump on the shroud?

From what I can tell they're ignoring the shroud and the retention bracket.

I'm seeing 5.2" for the height of the PCB and 5.4" for the height of the shroud.

That's what I'm measuring too, ~134mm for the height from the bottom of the bottom to the top of the shroud bump.

I'm also getting about 184mm from the outside of the bracket to the end of the shroud for length.

Edit: Actually it should be a bit less than that since the perspective makes for a small error when measuring in Photoshop.

Last edited:

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Nov 12, 2015
That Giga 970 is listed at 4.8" ht, and judging by the overlay, 5.4 looks reasonable. Yeah, 5.4" would be pretty tall.

yoyo55

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 15, 2015
Hopefully EVGA or Asus will jump in the game. I'm sure they'll be releasing a mITX card soon. Let's hope the dimensions are smaller on at least one of them

Reactions: firewolfy

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Dear god, Gigabyte, WHY?! I mean, great that you've made one, but why make it so large and then leave the fan this small?

That's what I'm measuring too, ~134mm for the height from the bottom of the bottom to the top of the shroud bump.

I'm also getting about 184mm from the outside of the bracket to the end of the shroud for length.

Edit: Actually it should be a bit less than that since the perspective makes for a small error when measuring in Photoshop.

I'm seeing 5.2" for the height of the PCB and 5.4" for the height of the shroud.

If that's true, this card could just about fit into Brevis S. Depending on the exact shape of the shroud, the thermal divider would have to be removed, though. Hopefully this will turn out to be the loudest and biggest 1070 ITX version, then I won't have to add explicit support for it.
How's it looking with Hutzy XS, @Hahutzy?

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 9, 2015
If the PEG connector is recessed enough that it adds 0 height when connected, the card will fit will millimeters to spare.

But yea, I really don't understand the purpose of the bump. I'm really hating the "need copper heatpipes, forget height restrictions" approach to GPU design.

Oh and while I'm ranting. Gigabyte, why the hell are your PEG female connectors always flipped around?! That means the clip on the PEG male connector clips on facing the back and adds extra protrusion beyond the PCB/backplate plane!! Argh!!

Last edited:
Reactions: K888D

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The hump isn't even for the heatpipes, they're the same 'height' across the heatsink:

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 9, 2015
I'm inclined to believe the hump was made to completely block the PEG connector out from the side view, purely for aesthetics.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I'm inclined to believe the hump was made to completely block the PEG connector out from the side view, purely for aesthetics.

I think this is the case as well.

I also think this is why they have stated the height as 131mm when it seems like it should be much taller, its almost as if they have calculated the height up to the PEG connector.

Edit:

This Gigabyte GTX 1070 is also listed as 131mm tall, but the shroud is much taller even than the ITX version. But, the PCB of this longer 1070 does not look as tall as the ITX version, the PEG connector does not appear to be recessed either, so I really don't know what the 131mm refers to:

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5922#sp

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Dear god, Gigabyte, WHY?! I mean, great that you've made one, but why make it so large and then leave the fan this small?

XD my thoughts exactly iFreilicht. The more I look at this card the more I think that the fan could've been made bigger.

Just goes back to my idea of just removing the shroud + fan and using a slim 120mm one if you have trouble installing in an S4 Mini case. Kill two birds with one stone.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I know, it's almost like the design department were only given 1 day to come up with the shroud design, that'll do. It doesn't scream Aston Martin to me, more like Toyota Supra with a massive spoiler, I guess some people like boy racer car(d)s!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Shroud And The Luminous ?

The same problem with RAM these days:

That isn't RAM, these are unholy abominations between chainsaws and 90's ricer cars. And people pay good money for these kits !

There was one company that made sober non-sawblade high-end RAM sticks, named KLEVV, but they're all but gone now.