General Design and Manufacture Discussion

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I see, you definitely could bead blast it then form it using die protection, then go for anodizing - your vendors not wrong that bead blasting on bends is time consuming.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
We explored sandblasting just on the exterior panels for the M1 early on, but it would've added ~30% to the overall cost IIRC. The results weren't different enough from the brushed finish to warrant it, and while the blasted black looked decent, I thought the way the silver reflected light made it look almost grungy.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
As far as I'm aware the end result can be basically the same, it's just the media that's different. Sand isn't even used that often anymore, apparently, as there are some potential health issues from inhaling it. Glass or garnet beads, aluminum oxide, plastic and steel grit, even walnut shells and corn cobs are used as media. I used "sandblasting" as a general term for the process, but "abrasive blasting" is probably a better, all-encompassing term.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I see, you definitely could bead blast it then form it using die protection, then go for anodizing - your vendors not wrong that bead blasting on bends is time consuming.

That could be a possibility, I will check with my manufacturer if that is worth it, it depends on the shipment/extra handling costs, the thing is, it is only 1 panel that has bends, the rest is just flat panels.

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
As far as I'm aware the end result can be basically the same, it's just the media that's different. Sand isn't even used that often anymore, apparently, as there are some potential health issues from inhaling it. Glass or garnet beads, aluminum oxide, plastic and steel grit, even walnut shells and corn cobs are used as media. I used "sandblasting" as a general term for the process, but "abrasive blasting" is probably a better, all-encompassing term.
You say your result for the silver looked bad. Does it look different to Apple's finishes on their Macbooks?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Glass or garnet beads, aluminum oxide, plastic and steel grit, even walnut shells and corn cobs are used as media.
So you're saying you had the unique selling point of having the Ncase M1 nut-blasted or corn-cobbed and you passed up on it ? :eek:

You could have used the marketing sticker ECO-friendly (abrasive blasting)

Aiboh, I'd like my Nova treated with nuts please, huge ones if possible.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
You say your result for the silver looked bad. Does it look different to Apple's finishes on their Macbooks?

I've got my case sandblasted and to be honest I find it absolutely gorgeous.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I don't have any Apple products handy to compare it to, so I couldn't really tell you. It could've just been that sample, too. The main reason we eliminated it as a possibility was cost, though. The M1 is already at the very high end of the price scale for SFF cases, adding another 30% on top of it would put it out of consideration for a lot more people.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
For reference:

http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=580

Last edited:

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 2, 2015
That could be a possibility, I will check with my manufacturer if that is worth it, it depends on the shipment/extra handling costs, the thing is, it is only 1 panel that has bends, the rest is just flat panels.
Someone has suggested to me acid-etched anodizing as a less labor-intensive alternative to bead blasting. It's supposed to produce a similar matte look. Have you looked into that?

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Mar 3, 2015
Sorry to take things a little off topic but how is the brushed aluminum effect done like on the MKII cases? I'm sure it is done pre-bending and then you have the anodize done. But is there a machine that does this? All done by hand? I'm curious.

I'd love to be able to do a few "one off" versions of my case made with brushed aluminum and then anodized black or bead blasted and then anodized clear like the Mac cases. Would be interesting to do.

-Jeffinslaw

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Only the side panel is brushed. The rest looks sandblasted and anodized Apple-style.

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Mar 3, 2015
Only the side panel is brushed. The rest looks sandblasted and anodized Apple-style.

I guess I should have worded my question better ;) I just meant simply how is the brushing effect done? Was only using the MKII case as an example of brushed aluminum.

-Jeffinslaw

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Hello guys,
As you may know I am currently designing a small wooden Cube PC Case for ITX components.
At the moment I am trying to come up with a creative design for the fan grills on the left and right side panels (6mm thick).
Now I thought that mabye you guys can come up with something (in paint or anyting else ;) ) that fits the very "sqarish style" of the case (coming soon!)

If you have other suggestions considering the case itself or the fan grill then make sure to let me know

Thanks very much in advance ;)

Last edited:

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Don't want to sound too negative, but if it's a different subject, wouldn't it need a new thread?

I didn't know if it is "enough" for a new thread because everything before in this thread seemed to be about case manufacturing.
Do you think I should open a "side thread" for this then I will do that :)